anyone running quick disconnect sway bar links? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, i tried search bar to no avail. anyone running quick disconnect sway bar links? i'm honestly mostly mall crawling. driver side link broke and tore up the outer cv axle.

I built some Wabfab style front disconnects for my old 4runner and ended up never really using them. Unless you're doing some very technical crawling and lifting a wheel off the ground now, you won't see any benefit.

I would also never run them in the rear of a coil sprung/4-link Toyota. The rear suspension flexes too well and is way too unstable without a swaybar (tried it, immediately regretted it :D ).

I don’t have the link handy, but there are a couple of YouTube videos of quick disconnects for the front on fjc and 4Runner.

The 4R web site has a lot of posts of someone who makes and sells them on that site.

I contemplated making my own for the front, but never got around to it.

it’s recommended that you only disconnect the front or the rear, but not both. Pick your poison!

i personally was going for an inexpensive solution for better articulation which was long/extended travel shocks/coils in the rear and quick sway bar disconnects for the front.

never got around to trying the front disconnects and having sway bars connected in both end really limits articulation.

How do you choose which swaybar to eliminate front or rear?

I bought my GX with suspension done already, Dobinson IMS 3" with medium duty springs all around and both swaybars removed, It doesn't drive terrible, a bit of roll as expected. The only roads that felt the roll was on long sweep mountain road going 70mph or so, still wasn't that bad.

I may want to add a swaybar back, but not sure if I should do front or rear. Is there a recommended aftermarket swaybar for GX with lift?

How do you choose which swaybar to eliminate front or rear?

I bought my GX with suspension done already, Dobinson IMS 3" with medium duty springs all around and both swaybars removed, It doesn't drive terrible, a bit of roll as expected. The only roads that felt the roll was on long sweep mountain road going 70mph or so, still wasn't that bad.

I may want to add a swaybar back, but not sure if I should do front or rear. Is there a recommended aftermarket swaybar for GX with lift?

At no point is it really recommended to run just a front swaybar with no rear swaybar. The rig would handle like an understeering mess, and offroad it would become ridiculously unstable on any climbs or off-camber situation.

Run the stock rear, and either ditch the front or run front disconnects and you'll be good to go.

I've been running without a rear for about 3 years. I just finished driving cross country back and forth and have thousands of offroad miles with no problems to report.

If your suspension is dialed in, you don't need a rear sway bar.

I wouldn't go ditching a sway bar with clapped out air shocks and stock springs. In the rear, I run adjustable upper/lower control arms, Eimkeith PCK bracket, adjustable pan hard bar, 2.5" adjustable shocks and metaltech long travel heavy springs, I've had no squirrely off camber situations offroading in OR, WA, UT, NV, GA, VA, TN, CA, NM, CO, ect.

I daily drive my truck 25 miles on the freeway everyday aswell. If having no rear sway bar was going to create a hazardous or uncomfortable driving situation, I truly believe I would have discovered it by now.

At no point is it really recommended to run just a front swaybar with no rear swaybar. The rig would handle like an understeering mess, and offroad it would become ridiculously unstable on any climbs or off-camber situation.

Run the stock rear, and either ditch the front or run front disconnects and you'll be good to go.

Like I mentioned, mine currently has no sway bars at all, it handles pretty fine to be honest. And my reference point is having owned for many years a spacer lifted 4th gen 4Runner with XREAS (which did handle better) and our 2017 GX460 that's completely stock.

However I may add a swaybar back and I guess rear bar first seems to be the one you're suggesting to add.

I have a BMW M3 with no-rear bar and it handles awesome, but it's not lifted 3" lol, it's lowered a bit and has much higher spring rates which compensate the need for sway bar in the rear.

Like I mentioned, mine currently has no sway bars at all, it handles pretty fine to be honest. And my reference point is having owned for many years a spacer lifted 4th gen 4Runner with XREAS (which did handle better) and our 2017 GX460 that's completely stock.

However I may add a swaybar back and I guess rear bar first seems to be the one you're suggesting to add.

I have a BMW M3 with no-rear bar and it handles awesome, but it's not lifted 3" lol, it's lowered a bit and has much higher spring rates which compensate the need for sway bar in the rear.

If your coil springs are stiff enough, that would negate the need for a rear sway bar. I didn't factor that in, I've always tried it with softer setups and hated it.

So perhaps with some of the heavy duty GX springs, the rig is better off with no sway bars? That would be interesting to test.

I don’t have the link handy, but there are a couple of YouTube videos of quick disconnects for the front on fjc and 4Runner.

The 4R web site has a lot of posts of someone who makes and sells them on that site.

I contemplated making my own for the front, but never got around to it.

it’s recommended that you only disconnect the front or the rear, but not both. Pick your poison!

i personally was going for an inexpensive solution for better articulation which was long/extended travel shocks/coils in the rear and quick sway bar disconnects for the front.

never got around to trying the front disconnects and having sway bars connected in both end really limits articulation.

I was just looking for these today for the front end, and I found the guy making them here.

Looks like $220 for the front disconnects, and he has front and rear discos and end links for 3rd, 4th,and 5th gen 4Runners, FJs, and GXs.

Last edited:
I'm running his enhanced ball joint (non-heim) adjustable front links.

They're stout! The threaded body is very thick and not something I see bending under the loads a sway bar would be subjected to.

One point worth mentioning though - if you run the Total Chaos weld on spindle gussets, you will need to notch the gusset just slightly to allow the larger head of the joint to fit past it. About 30 seconds with a flap disc on an angle grinder did the trick in my case.

I replaced some Napa lifetime warrantied links with these after the Napa links failed twice. I have beat on these pretty good on trails all up and down the west coast over the last 6 months and they're still tight and haven't given me any trouble.

I ordered mine in powder coated red to match the JBA upper control arms.

If adjustable links are what you're after, I highly recommend these.

I was just looking for these today for the front end, and I found the guy making them here.

Looks like $220 for the front disconnects, and he has front and rear discos and end links for 3rd, 4th,and 5th gen 4Runners, FJs, and GXs.
I got an e-mail from MikeS and he doesn't have quick disconnect sway bar end links for the GX470. E-mail on 10/23/2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom