Anyone running a 285/65R20? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am running 275/65R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's currently (34x11R20 as indicated on the sidewall, 34.1x10.8R20 as indicated by a direct metric to inch conversion).

So far I love the Falkens. Quiet ride, very smooth and stable on the highway. Excellent in the snow and ice, great wet performance and no complaints off road, they've held up to some serious abuse with very little chunking or cutting.

I noticed that a 285/65R20 tire size (34.6x11.2) is now available for the Falkens. I'm planning to regear to 4.88's soon and thinking about jumping up a bit in tire size. I have a fair bit of extra clearance around my 34x11's now after some trimming and thinking this could be a good option to maximize tire size but still keep a narrow profile and not run into most of the clearance issues associated with a 35x12.50 tire.

Anyone?

I've considered a 285/75/18 Ridge Grappler up from my 285/70/18 which measures out almost the same as your pair of sizes. I would definitely expect some trimming on the front bumper if you leave it stock, but if you go high clearance/aftermarket for the front bumper I think that would work a lot better.

Not exactly what you are asking but I have the 285/60R20 Wildpeak and they do rub a little when turning about 1/3 of the way... I haven't gotten around to creating clearance..

I looked at that size for a bit but didn't think anybody was running it yet and didn't feel like being that adventurous. I had to do some trimming for 275/65r20 Falken's and still have a bit more to do I think but no rubbing 99% of the time. Any chance you have some photo's of what trimming you did on yours so I can compare? Your info was one of the reasons I went with the Falken's so thanks for that!

I've considered a 285/75/18 Ridge Grappler up from my 285/70/18 which measures out almost the same as your pair of sizes. I would definitely expect some trimming on the front bumper if you leave it stock, but if you go high clearance/aftermarket for the front bumper I think that would work a lot better.

Planning on doing the MetalTech Ghost Rider bumper. Hopefully they will have an LX570 specific version in the next few months. If they don't by the end of the year I'll just buy the regular one and have at it with my plasma cutter until it fits. I plan to order it bare metal and powder coat to match anyways.

I looked at that size for a bit but didn't think anybody was running it yet and didn't feel like being that adventurous. I had to do some trimming for 275/65r20 Falken's and still have a bit more to do I think but no rubbing 99% of the time. Any chance you have some photo's of what trimming you did on yours so I can compare? Your info was one of the reasons I went with the Falken's so thanks for that!

I'll see if I have some photos. My trimming was a bit aggressive in the front as I knew I would be chopping the whole lower bumper and wheel well sections out in the future to accommodate a front bumper install. I removed the front mudflaps and I think there was another little extraneous little plastic cover on the rear of the front wheel well that I removed. I have done no trimming in the rear and it seems to have plenty of room.

Not exactly what you are asking but I have the 285/60R20 Wildpeak and they do rub a little when turning about 1/3 of the way... I haven't gotten around to creating clearance..

Are you running spacers? If not the rub is probably on your swaybar.

Are you running spacers? If not the rub is probably on your swaybar.

I am not running spacers.. stock LX570 Wheels.. Its not on the swaybar for sure. Its on the front wheel's rear mud flap cover.. It is very minimal... Similar on both sides*
IMG_0355.jpg

I am not running spacers.. stock LX570 Wheels.. Its not on the swaybar for sure. Its on the front wheel's rear mud flap cover.. It is very minimal... Similar on both sides*
View attachment 1932752

Looks like you're a couple bolts and a couple minutes away from solving your rubbing problem.

I'll see if I have some photos. My trimming was a bit aggressive in the front as I knew I would be chopping the whole lower bumper and wheel well sections out in the future to accommodate a front bumper install. I removed the front mudflaps and I think there was another little extraneous little plastic cover on the rear of the front wheel well that I removed. I have done no trimming in the rear and it seems to have plenty of room.

Ok that makes me feel a bit better on how much I had to trim. The rears are definitely fine with no problems. I had to trim a pretty good amount on the interior side of the front wheel wells. I have to see if I can get a decent photo as well.

Ok that makes me feel a bit better on how much I had to trim. The rears are definitely fine with no problems. I had to trim a pretty good amount on the interior side of the front wheel wells. I have to see if I can get a decent photo as well.

Yeah if you want an idea of mine I cut probably 3" of the bottom all the way across on the fender liner.

I am running 275/65R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's currently (34x11R20 as indicated on the sidewall, 34.1x10.8R20 as indicated by a direct metric to inch conversion).

So far I love the Falkens. Quiet ride, very smooth and stable on the highway. Excellent in the snow and ice, great wet performance and no complaints off road, they've held up to some serious abuse with very little chunking or cutting.

I noticed that a 285/65R20 tire size (34.6x11.2) is now available for the Falkens. I'm planning to regear to 4.88's soon and thinking about jumping up a bit in tire size. I have a fair bit of extra clearance around my 34x11's now after some trimming and thinking this could be a good option to maximize tire size but still keep a narrow profile and not run into most of the clearance issues associated with a 35x12.50 tire.

Anyone?
285 65 20 bfg ko2s. Trimmed a little on the front tire mud flaps. Awesome ride and grip.

20190324_141316.jpg

20190324_141414.jpg

Hrmm... Are you sure? Those look much more like 285/55r20s to me. Perhaps 285/60r20, but they definitely don't look like a 35" tire that a 285/65r20 would be.

@RyanR, do it! I don't think the mods necessary are really that invasive. @Apounder is already doing the full 35x12.5 and fits fine.
Dangit , screwed up. 276 65 20.

^No problemo. Thanks for the clarification. They still look good :)

Hrmm... Are you sure? Those look much more like 285/55r20s to me. Perhaps 285/60r20, but they definitely don't look like a 35" tire that a 285/65r20 would be.

@RyanR, do it! I don't think the mods necessary are really that invasive. @Apounder is already doing the full 35x12.5 and fits fine.

Nice! I hadn’t seen the post with @Apounder ‘s LX. The KO2’s seem to run small vs the Falkens so they would likely end up being very similar in size. Only “problem” is the tread life on the Falkens appear to be amazing and 30k later mine still look new lol

EDIT: I just looked at Falkens spec sheet and the overall diameter for their 285/65R20 and 35x12.50R20 are identical at 34.6”

Last edited:

Well I was under my truck this weekend and noticed that I actually do have a bit of rub on both UCAs. Judging by when I know it rubs and the wear pattern my guess is when I am turning and going backwards. So the question I have now is spacers or new UCA... I am thinking UCAs but wondering how that will work with the LX570 sensor..
IMG_0566.jpg

Well I was under my truck this weekend and noticed that I actually do have a bit of rub on both UCAs. Judging by when I know it rubs and the wear pattern my guess is when I am turning and going backwards. So the question I have now is spacers or new UCA... I am thinking UCAs but wondering how that will work with the LX570 sensor..
View attachment 1953791
Spacers are a no brainer. 1-1.5” are just about perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom