Anyone running 295/70/18 Nitto Recon Grappler yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thoughts about the tire performance and fitment at this size? Seeing great reviews from paid reviewers but not much else yet.

you can now get in SL load

Last edited:
Had them for a few months now.
Great tire.
Quiet at highway speeds, no high speed 'humming' even up past 80mph, nice cornering grip, great traction in dry conditions, no discernible slip in wet driving conditions.
I would highly recommend.

Had them for a few months now.
Great tire.
Quiet at highway speeds, no high speed 'humming' even up past 80mph, nice cornering grip, great traction in dry conditions, no discernible slip in wet driving conditions.
I would highly recommend.
Thanks for the feedback! I just ordered a set of them and praying I can get the new 295/70r18 SL to fit. Worse case scenario, I’ll do a Tundra conversion :wrench:

Thanks for the feedback! I just ordered a set of them and praying I can get the new 295/70r18 SL to fit. Worse case scenario, I’ll do a Tundra conversion :wrench:

No problem.

I was initially going to use Terra Grappler G2 until I found out they were making the Recon. Happy I went with them because the Grappler is noticeably louder at highway speeds. Another benefit to the Recon is that you can choose two different sidewall designs depending on preference.
They have been very puncture resistant as well, found that out on my last rotation. I had a nail in between the treads but it never penetrated the wall.

I can still listen to music at volume level 10 at highway speeds, pretty quiet for any AT tire at highway speeds.

No problem.

I was initially going to use Terra Grappler G2 until I found out they were making the Recon. Happy I went with them because the Grappler is noticeably louder at highway speeds. Another benefit to the Recon is that you can choose two different sidewall designs depending on preference.
They have been very puncture resistant as well, found that out on my last rotation. I had a nail in between the treads but it never penetrated the wall.

I can still listen to music at volume level 10 at highway speeds, pretty quiet for any AT tire at highway speeds.
That’s much better compared to my Ridge grapplers. I will have to check my volume setting next time I’m on the freeway. I take it you meant the Terra Grapplers are much louder vs. the Recons. If so, that is good news. I had the older versions of Terra’s and they were terrible on wet roads. Nitto introduced a few new sizes of the Recon on Sept. 15 including 285/70r18, which is my backup if the 295 is just a complete no go

No problem.

Good thing you didn't land on the terra grapplers. They're so long in the tooth going on prob 15yr old tech. I had them on my 100-series. While great at the time for a mild AT tire, they don't hold a candle to the modern tire models. Terrible in cold, snow, and rain.

Good thing you didn't land on the terra grapplers. They're so long in the tooth going on prob 15yr old tech. I had them on my 100-series. While great at the time for a mild AT tire, they don't hold a candle to the modern tire models. Terrible in cold, snow, and rain.
Have the Grapplers on my 5th GEN 4Runner. No issues with them besides the fact that they are louder at highway speeds and they definitely hum louder than the Recons.
No complaints on the Recons thus far. They wear pretty evenly with rotation and are way quieter than I expected.

Have the Grapplers on my 5th GEN 4Runner. No issues with them besides the fact that they are louder at highway speeds and they definitely hum louder than the Recons.
No complaints on the Recons thus far. They wear pretty evenly with rotation and are way quieter than I expected.

Yeah, noise was another concern.

It comes down to expectations, and they met my needs when I had them 12 years ago.

Compared to the modern competitive set today, they no longer measure up.

That’s much better compared to my Ridge grapplers. I will have to check my volume setting next time I’m on the freeway. I take it you meant the Terra Grapplers are much louder vs. the Recons. If so, that is good news. I had the older versions of Terra’s and they were terrible on wet roads. Nitto introduced a few new sizes of the Recon on Sept. 15 including 285/70r18, which is my backup if the 295 is just a complete no go
How did the tires turn out? Have photos of them mounted?

How did the tires turn out? Have photos of them mounted?
Well they “were” great but had a couple flaws I could have lived with but since Discount tire allows buy try and return, that’s exactly what I did. The Recon in SL load were very comfortable on the highway and around town. They made speed bumps and broken pavement a non-event. However, they do tend to feel a little squishy around corners and the biggest issue was the droning sound between 54-68mph. I could have lived with them because they were very silent otherwise. I took the truck back and had them switch out the Recons for a set of 295/70r18 Revo3 to try a couple days ago. They looked pretty decent, not the same “cool’ factor as the Recons but boy am I a happy camper now. These Revos are absolutely amazing! Why the heck did I not install these on my last 200. The Revo3 tracks well, very stable at 80mph, quiet and simply invisible on the road. The tire is very comfortable tire as well. If this continues for the next 30k miles, I’ll never buy another tire. Another note, we had rain and the roads might as well been dry. They are new of course, so time will tell how well they continue to be.

Well they “were” great but had a couple flaws I could have lived with but since Discount tire allows buy try and return, that’s exactly what I did. The Recon in SL load were very comfortable on the highway and around town. They made speed bumps and broken pavement a non-event. However, they do tend to feel a little squishy around corners and the biggest issue was the droning sound between 54-68mph. I could have lived with them because they were very silent otherwise. I took the truck back and had them switch out the Recons for a set of 295/70r18 Revo3 to try a couple days ago. They looked pretty decent, not the same “cool’ factor as the Recons but boy am I a happy camper now. These Revos are absolutely amazing! Why the heck did I not install these on my last 200. The Revo3 tracks well, very stable at 80mph, quiet and simply invisible on the road. The tire is very comfortable tire as well. If this continues for the next 30k miles, I’ll never buy another tire. Another note, we had rain and the roads might as well been dry. They are new of course, so time will tell how well they continue to be.
Photos of the Recons

D83DB099-1A22-47EB-A7F7-61B89DDF3936.jpeg

5572E01A-2F2E-498D-9FC9-26A9DF236F4C.jpeg

can you share photos of the revo3?

At 54 lbs they’re basically the same weight as the recon grappler…which is light for this size. Except the revo3’s are an lt tire so it’ll be a bit tougher.

How’s the ride quality between the passenger oriented recon grappler and light truck oriented revo3?

I've been running 305/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler on my '14 JKU Rubicon. I have the factory Rubicon wheels with the machined finish. So far so good, they are aggressively treaded - good for off-roading, but they seem to squeak on-road. This is the reason I would go with the 295/70 instead of the 305. The bigger the tire, the louder it is on-road. Another reason I'd go with the 295/70 is that you can use the stock spare tire with it. The 305's don't come with a spare.

At 54 lbs they’re basically the same weight as the recon grappler…which is light for this size. Except the revo3’s are an lt tire so it’ll be a bit tougher.

How’s the ride quality between the passenger oriented recon grappler and light truck oriented revo3?
I was concerned about losing the ride quality of the Recons because they were just that good but I can barely tell a difference with the Revo’s. The Revos have a little more road feel but nothing like I got from my previous experience of the KO2 or Ridge Grappler. To give you an idea how good these Revos are for comfort, Toyota service did the 35k maintenance check yesterday and driving home I wanted to see what these clowns put my psi at and to my surprise, they were set at 45psi and I didn’t even notice. However, they should be set closer to 37psi which I’ll take care of today. I will recommend these tires to anyone who doesn’t need hardcore A/T. Reviews of these tires off-road seem to do well. The treads are very deep.

I was concerned about losing the ride quality of the Recons because they were just that good but I can barely tell a difference with the Revo’s. The Revos have a little more road feel but nothing like I got from my previous experience of the KO2 or Ridge Grappler. To give you an idea how good these Revos are for comfort, Toyota service did the 35k maintenance check yesterday and driving home I wanted to see what these clowns put my psi at and to my surprise, they were set at 45psi and I didn’t even notice. However, they should be set closer to 37psi which I’ll take care of today. I will recommend these tires to anyone who doesn’t need hardcore A/T. Reviews of these tires off-road seem to do well. The treads are very deep.
Good info thanks.

Was clearance better with the Revo than the Recon, due to the Revo not having that knobby of shoulder?

Would love to see pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom