Anyone replaced their factory satellite radio antenna with an aftermarket antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m not a fan of the music quality of XM but it’s so cheap if you get a bargain offer, which these days I think it’s almost a given. I listen to a couple of the stations and it’s just another option available and I don’t get constant offers in the mail. 🤷🏻

What I'm wondering about is the real time traffic and weather you can get via XM, is it worth it?

The real time traffic that is provided on the factory display comes from HD radio and is free. eg. yellow or red patches of freeway indicating traffic jam/delay, etc...s

I believe the the updates the to map are free via the internet.

I think XM Radio was bought by Sirius and no longer exists, but I could be mistaken.

The real time traffic that is provided on the factory display comes from HD radio and is free. eg. yellow or red patches of freeway indicating traffic jam/delay, etc...s

I believe the the updates the to map are free via the internet.

I think XM Radio was bought by Sirius and no longer exists, but I could be mistaken.
Yes, it is now SiriusXM since they "merged".

bringing this one back somewhat (not a total zombie thread though..)
So on the 2017 radio what does the SiriusXM connector look like? anyone have a picture -- I'm wondering if this will work to attach an aftermarket XM antenna to it.

Amazon product ASIN B07PJVFCYK
Looking at the manual, the shark fin only seems to have the XM antenna in it, (even though the FSM calls it cellular) - am I missing anything there?
My plan was to simply remove the shark fin and replace it with an aftermarket XM antenna on the cowl or on top of the rack.
thanks

bringing this one back somewhat (not a total zombie thread though..)
So on the 2017 radio what does the SiriusXM connector look like? anyone have a picture -- I'm wondering if this will work to attach an aftermarket XM antenna to it.

Amazon product ASIN B07PJVFCYK
Looking at the manual, the shark fin only seems to have the XM antenna in it, (even though the FSM calls it cellular) - am I missing anything there?
My plan was to simply remove the shark fin and replace it with an aftermarket XM antenna on the cowl or on top of the rack.
thanks
I've been looking to do this (keep OEM head unit but replace OEM XM antenna) as well but haven't gotten around to it. I've done a bit of research but have not found where/how the XM antenna connects the head unit. I did find the "multimedia ECU" under the passenger (US/right) seat but as far as I could tell, none of the plugs were related to the XM antenna.

Based on the research that I've done on the Interweb with the Google, and some assumptions that may be completely wrong, I think what you have found will work. I found a post on TacomaWorld where someone was trying to do something kinda-sorta similar with a Tacom head unit. Basically, you have to remove the blue plastic "shroud" in order for the plug to fit into the unit. In fact, based on images from the thread, the plastic part may come already detached and you are supposed to assemble it if you want to use it. Saves the Chinese (I assume) factory workers the labor and puts it on you.

So, to sum up, I think that will work and I'll be trying to do the same at some point in the near future.

The only potential drawback to your plan that I've heard is that some folks have mentioned it is really hard to seal the roof back up once you remove/replace the fin. So, I may leave the original fin and just run the new satellite through an RV "cable gland":

1616853571286.png

This would allow me to position it wherever I want. My RTT was doing a good job of blocking my fin even if it worked so that position may not be the best. I've got several ideas floating around my head on final attachment but for now, I just want to get good, reliable connectivity with or without the RTT on top.

my plan for saying the roof up was simple.. get a plate cut that is 1/4-1/2 over cut on the edges, weld a thick nut to the bottom, and use a matching plate or washer on the bottom. Seal it with ultra black to water proof it and done. Leave all the wiring in place, and just remove the shark fin and store. to do a pass through like you have depends on how it attaches. I think it would be 100% easier to run wiring from the front through a snorkel or through the back hatch.

Curious why the use of XM radio hardware? Can't you stream SiriusXM over an app or cellular data? I guess it's possible to not get cellular when way way in the boonies, but with a good cellular booster, I get pretty good coverage over 90% of my travels. Then just play over BT?

Curious why the use of XM radio hardware? Can't you stream SiriusXM over an app or cellular data? I guess it's possible to not get cellular when way way in the boonies, but with a good cellular booster, I get pretty good coverage over 90% of my travels. Then just play over BT?
I'd love to have a boosted cellular signal and therefore better internet in general and solid XM (except way out in the boonies) but I'd say that for me it's probably the several hundred dollars for a booster kit versus the $25 for a new XM antenna and connector. I may revisit the booster idea but in the short term, I just want a good XM signal cheaply and quickly.

my plan for saying the roof up was simple.. get a plate cut that is 1/4-1/2 over cut on the edges, weld a thick nut to the bottom, and use a matching plate or washer on the bottom. Seal it with ultra black to water proof it and done. Leave all the wiring in place, and just remove the shark fin and store. to do a pass through like you have depends on how it attaches. I think it would be 100% easier to run wiring from the front through a snorkel or through the back hatch.
That sounds like it would work. Wishing I had a welder for many projects! I've thought about going up through the back hatch or even out the front door for temporary use until I determine my final solution. What did you mean by "snorkel"?

I've finally found the XM antenna for my 2011 LX. Here's a thread on the subject. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom