Anyone in Madison is available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I'm interested in a 96 80 series cruiser located in Middleton WI. I live in Minneapolis and had no experience with these vehicles. I talked to one of my friends who's very knowledgeable and he didn't find any deal killer. I'm wondering if anyone local is willing to do me a favor before I take a 4-hour trip.

Hello! I'm interested in a 96 80 series cruiser located in Middleton WI. I live in Minneapolis and had no experience with these vehicles. I talked to one of my friends who's very knowledgeable and he didn't find any deal killer. I'm wondering if anyone local is willing to do me a favor before I take a 4-hour trip.
@Tengu is close. Maybe 30 min away. Maybe he will chime in here.

I am literally 10 mins away and have been exchanging texts with the owner. I kinda want first dibs on it (have an appt to look at it shortly), but will step back if you need it more.
Either way, I can give you a condition report later today.

I am literally 10 mins away and have been exchanging texts with the owner. I kinda want first dibs on it (have an appt to look at it shortly), but will step back if you need it more.
Either way, I can give you a condition report later today.
Sounds good!😁

OK - so I went and I still don't have much insight on the truck.
When I got there the owner told me that another person is having the truck looked at, at a local shop. So we (both the truck owner and I) went to that shop, and found out the truck was on a lift. The seller asked the shop-owner if we could look at the truck and got a very stern and unnecessarily rude refusal.

All I could see standing outside the shop door was there was some surface rust on the rear axle and coil springs. The truck itself and most of the frame looked rust free, but again I was looking from at least 20ft away. The tires seemed low on tread too. The truck itself is absolutely bone stock and the owner claims to have never taken it offroad!

The owner claims to have bought it new in Odessa, TX and then kept it in Houston area until 3 years ago when he gave it to his nephew to drive while he was at college here in Madison WI. That means truck has seen at least three WI winters. The owner also said that the seat leather is rough, but I obviously couldn't have a look myself. The owner did not recall ever having a major service done (so no head gasket or heater hoses etc.).
I couldn't wait any longer for the repair shop to be done with their inspection so I left.

OK - so I went and I still don't have much insight on the truck.
When I got there the owner told me that another person is having the truck looked at, at a local shop. So we (both the truck owner and I) went to that shop, and found out the truck was on a lift. The seller asked the shop-owner if we could look at the truck and got a very stern and unnecessarily rude refusal.

All I could see standing outside the shop door was there was some surface rust on the rear axle and coil springs. The truck itself and most of the frame looked rust free, but again I was looking from at least 20ft away. The tires seemed low on tread too. The truck itself is absolutely bone stock and the owner claims to have never taken it offroad!

The owner claims to have bought it new in Odessa, TX and then kept it in Houston area until 3 years ago when he gave it to his nephew to drive while he was at college here in Madison WI. That means truck has seen at least three WI winters. The owner also said that the seat leather is rough, but I obviously couldn't have a look myself. The owner did not recall ever having a major service done (so no head gasket or heater hoses etc.).
I couldn't wait any longer for the repair shop to be done with their inspection so I left.
Um... I just pulled the carfax report and saw "Vehicle reported stolen" on that. A big pass?

Wow! That is definitely a big fat red flag! Could you share the carfax with me? Maybe email it at classy.jalopy@gmail.com if that is ok?

I wound up buying this! I was unaware of the drama until I found this thread... I think the shop owner was concerned about the liability issues of people in his shop, and he was also looking out for me (his customer) who was paying for a pre-sale inspection.
I saw the stolen/returned note on the carfax- it made me stop to consider, but then I figured it happened a long time and many miles ago.
It needs a lot of work- suspension, head gasket, tires etc. And the interior is in rough shape. But all the electrics work and it is about as rust free as you can find in Wisconsin, so after all the repairs I am hoping for a smooth riding vehicle. Just taking the U-Michigan sticker off improved the appearance so much...

I wound up buying this! I was unaware of the drama until I found this thread... I think the shop owner was concerned about the liability issues of people in his shop, and he was also looking out for me (his customer) who was paying for a pre-sale inspection.
I saw the stolen/returned note on the carfax- it made me stop to consider, but then I figured it happened a long time and many miles ago.
It needs a lot of work- suspension, head gasket, tires etc. And the interior is in rough shape. But all the electrics work and it is about as rust free as you can find in Wisconsin, so after all the repairs I am hoping for a smooth riding vehicle. Just taking the U-Michigan sticker off improved the appearance so much...
Way to go man. I did end up reaching out to NICB about the stolen status and they said they will try to get it off the record - so hopefully is a few weeks your truck won't even have that label!. I also spoke with the owner and he claimed that his neighbor suffered with dementia and accidentally drove off the truck less than a mile before stopping, so there were no damages or charges filed.

I will bite my tongue on the workshop owner and will just say they will most likely never get my business or recommendation based on their attitude.

Now is seems like there are a few of us Cruiser Heads in the area - we should find a time to gather for a quick cars n' coffee type deal. Or perhaps go explore some forest roads in the area.

Way to go man. I did end up reaching out to NICB about the stolen status and they said they will try to get it off the record - so hopefully is a few weeks your truck won't even have that label!. I also spoke with the owner and he claimed that his neighbor suffered with dementia and accidentally drove off the truck less than a mile before stopping, so there were no damages or charges filed.

I will bite my tongue on the workshop owner and will just say they will most likely never get my business or recommendation based on their attitude.

Now is seems like there are a few of us Cruiser Heads in the area - we should find a time to gather for a quick cars n' coffee type deal. Or perhaps go explore some forest roads in the area.
A meetup would be fun. I have to wait at least a week until my LC clears the shop! How many others are in the Madison area?

I'm definitely in!

What's on your to-do list I'm curious
To-Do list: Imagine 200k miles with regular oil changes but no forward looking preventative maintenance... I am assuming if it did not appear on the Carfax report, it didn't happen. I want my wife to be able to drive this thing a few states away without any phone calls.

Sure, I'd meet up. My LX is still pretty stock so I'll be there to make everyone feel better about theirs. ;)
You might be surprised how capable stock LX are!

Anyone still around the area??