Anyone Have Corbeau Seats in 80 Series I Can Sit In - SF Bay Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ugly Dwarf

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been considering making a seat change for some time in my 1994 LC. I've read several reviews of Corbeau seats here on Mud and they seem to hit the right value, quality, and price point for my needs. The biggest drawback I've read is that the adaptor bracket for the passenger seat can be a pain to deal with if you want to keep your rear seat heater (I do). The things that have held me back is if I should go with a suspension seat or not, how well the seat would fit my body, and what if any legroom / headroom gains are to be had?

I'm 6' 5" and 240 lbs and sitting in the stock seats for long drives (or even short ones really) is uncomfortable. I've removed the dead pedal, have played with all the controls on the power seat, and am not interested in spending hundreds of dollars and many hours of work to add 2" track extensions. Many of my co-pilot buddies are similar in size to me, but one of the guys who joins me on the trail is nearly 7' tall, and needless to say it's nearly comical (if it weren't so damned uncomfortable) to see him folded up, knees by his ears, when sitting in the passenger seat.

I've read a good number of reports saying the legroom AND headroom gain in the 80 with the Corbeau seats and manual bracket is phenomenal, a few reports saying they LOST legroom and/or headroom in this conversion, and a few others that said "meh, it's about the same". I'm a cheap bastar... frugal individual, so I'm hesitant to spend upwards of $1000 on something that may not be a good fit or leave me wanting.

I've been looking at the Baja RS / XRS seats primarily, but I'd love to confirm the RS headrest is tall enough to protect me in a rear end collision. I don't DISLIKE the look of the XRS, but I have no plans to run a 4/5 point harness at this point, so those huge openings are more show than go. I do like that it seems to be taller and given my size that's probably a good thing. While I've been primarily leaning towards one of the reclining suspension seats, I've also considered one of the more traditional seats like the Sport, Moab, or Trailcat.

So, my ask is this: Does anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area have an 80 series with Corbeau seats (with or without the Corbeau bracket) who would be willing to meet up with me and let me sit in their rig? I understand many will have concerns during this Covid spike, but I'm feeling healthy, happy to wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, and/or any other reasonable requests to minimize exposure if you're concerned. I've got the next week off and would be happy to drive 50 or so miles from Concord to meet up and could probably spring for a burger / burrito, or bring some beer for your trouble.

Thanks for your consideration.

My answer to your main question is no. I'm in Texas and sold my Corbeau equipped 80 a couple of years ago. Those seats look good out of the box, but they're a lot harder than stock seats and IIRC don't gain you any room. They felt a little cheap for what I paid.

But, some un-asked for advice. If you MIG weld or have a friend who can do so competently, fabricating brackets to fit something like this isn't too bad.
Dodge Challenger Scat pack seats (Full sets) - auto parts - by owner... (craigslist.org)

I put some 911 seats in my 80 and gained a bunch of leg and head room. I'm 6'2". Fabricating the brackets enabled me to put them exactly where I wanted. I posted pictures in the main seats thread here back in June.

Thanks Johnny. I mocked up some adaptor plates to allow me to reuse the factory sliders on my old fox body Mustang to work with some aftermarket seats many years ago, but didn't have the right tools for the job so it was a time consuming PITA.

I now have access to a buddies mig welder and assorted tools, so I have considered making my own brackets for this, but I wonder if getting the the seats to sit just right and the sliders to work really well might be beyond my skill set, or would at least require a bit of "re-engineering" as I went. I would really prefer to buy a sorted out bolt in solution, or stay with what I have.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Please let me know if you've got these seats in your rig and would be willing to let me see how they fit.

Thanks

I'm looking at Procar seats for my 40. Call Jonathan at Procar and talk to him. I sat in the Procar rally seats and not good for me. Low back, weird bolstering, not what I wanted. Jonathan told me to go sit in a 2015 to current Ford Mustang, these would be nearly identical to the Procar Touring seat which I think is excellent. Also for more behind knee bolstering go find a 2005 to 2014 Ford Mustang, these would be nearly identical to the Procar Lumbar Elite seat. Both are reasonably small seats so fit should be ok. I put Toyota Sequoia seats in my 80 and they are very nice. Great deal of bracket modification but they worked. Big, they take up alot of space but very comfortable. I'm 6', 200 lbs. From your signature deal looks like my 80 is about the same as yours.

If you’re feeling it, I have a pair of excellent WRX seats that I’ve already cut the feat off of and will sell cheap. Also you can sit in my Recaros that I found on CL and seat of those sliders give you more room. I’m in Alameda. DM me if interested in either.
337E6DED-1CBC-4C15-934B-3C088AC2A13F.jpeg

Check out Scheel-Mann Vario XXL seats @Delta VS is a dealer. I'm 6'8" and recently picked up a pair of these. They may actually go too far back! Lol. You gain some headroom and the top of the headrest actually rests against your head. Amazing.

Check out Scheel-Mann Vario XXL seats @Delta VS is a dealer. I'm 6'8" and recently picked up a pair of these. They may actually go too far back! Lol. You gain some headroom and the top of the headrest actually rests against your head. Amazing.

Yeah they only run 2k a seat so total for 2 seats $4K. My completely rebuilt engine was $5,200.

I actually have a set of the corbeu seats. I would let you sit in them but I live in Louisiana. Overall there good it’s just on long trips they start to hurt and make you fatigued. I decided to swap out one for some Recaros. The Recaro run about half the price of the Scheel Man Vario XXL at 1K a piece.

Go to Griffin Motorwerks in Berkeley. They have a showroom where you can sit in all the varieties of both Recaros and Scheelman seats. There is a $1k Scheel seat too.

FWIW, the Scheel seats are amazing and 2x more comfortable than anything else.

@benroberds, thanks for the info. I'd previously heard of Procar but have never sat in them. It looks like their Sportsman's seat line are "Suspension Seats" and people tell me that's the way to go. I sat in some Corbeau's a friend had in his Ford many years ago and thought they were nice, hence why that brand has been in focus. I also like that the Corbeau's offer a seat heater, which will help my achy old back on longer drives. I didn't see that option on the Procar website. As for Sequoia seats, my wife has a 2008 and those seats are quite comfy (though I do hit my head on the ceiling - stupid sunroofs), and I did a 21 hour solo drive home from NM in it a couple months back only stopping for gas and fast food - I would have been crippled if I'd tried that in my 80.

@HardyDanger, I sent you a PM about coming out to Alameda to check out your seats. I'm sure I'll have questions about how you mounted them if we're able to link up. I'll try to call Griffin tomorrow to see if they have some seats I could check out. I don't know if I can justify $2000+ for seats... let me rephrase, there is NO way I can justify that at this point, no matter how comfortable they are.

@NorCalFJ100, at 6'8" you can relate (and then some) on space constraints. Nice to hear there is a seat setup that works for really tall people. While the 4" difference between me and my son doesn't seem like much on paper, I feel crowded with the seat all the way back, and he normally moves the seat forward just a little when I let him drive.

lol. I know!!! I sat in those though, and I seriously tried to come up with a justification for a good half hour....and by justification I mean a “story” to tell my wife. You’re welcome to drop by tomorrow, will be around.

Thanks for letting me come by. A pleasure to meet you.

Sitting in those Recaro's was an eye opener. Ton's more room. We went by 4 Wheel Parts on the way home and they had the Corbeau XRS on the floor, along with a Mastercraft Baja RS seat. The RS was more comfortable for me, but it's not clear if the Mastercraft and Corbeau "Baja RS" have the same dimensions.

Still interested in sitting in some Corbeau or Procar seats in an 80 series if anyone local has them and is willing to let me come by.

Right on! Happy to help out, good to meet you as well! Happy hunting!

I have the procar elite lumbar seats and bolt in brackets in my 80. I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 with a 34" inseam. They do give you more room and retain the rear heat. They're pretty good for the price. Too bad you're not closer.

Thanks all. I bit the bullet and ordered some Baja RS seats and brackets from Corbeau. The fabric choice and seat heaters are out of stock so it will be a few weeks before they ship, but I'm looking forward to having some more room come February.

I'll try to remember to take pictures pre, during, and post install, and post up in a new thread for anyone else who may have similar questions about replacement seats for XL and XXL drivers.

Thanks all. I bit the bullet and ordered some Baja RS seats and brackets from Corbeau. The fabric choice and seat heaters are out of stock so it will be a few weeks before they ship, but I'm looking forward to having some more room come February.

I'll try to remember to take pictures pre, during, and post install, and post up in a new thread for anyone else who may have similar questions about replacement seats for XL and XXL drivers.
So did you make a new thread? How do you like them? Does your head hit the headrest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom