Anyone have access to SolidWorks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a .sldprt file that I can open in a viewer but can't get any dimensions off it without opening it in SolidWorks. Anyone either have an old version I could buy/have or be willing to open this assembly and print off the dimensions of all the pieces?

Full disclosure: it's a big assembly. Probably over 100 individual pieces.

Thanks,

Luke

One option might be to use GrabCAD (create free account, upload your sldprt file and then download the step version of it and use freecad etc to take your own measurements).

cheers,
george.

The Experimental Aircraft Association offers members a free student license to solidworks, with access to quite a bit of their library. Their one stipulation would be that its not used for commercial ventures.

I havent played with it yet, still need to download it.

eaa.org

The Experimental Aircraft Association offers members a free student license to solidworks, with access to quite a bit of their library. Their one stipulation would be that its not used for commercial ventures.

I havent played with it yet, still need to download it.

eaa.org
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion!

@LukeZero since EAA is a 501c3, your membership is tax deductable. Their annual "convention" is the 24th-30th this month in Oshkosh, WI. Tons of hands on forums (sheetmetal, fabric, composites, welding, you name it, its there). All of the trip expenses are tax deductable ;)

The EAA version is essentially the student version as best I can tell. That said, the convention is the bomb. Like Sturgis for pilots. Go get lost in Aviation for a few days. Killer airshow, tools, toys, planes, planes, and oh, did I mention? Planes!

I have SolidWorks and can either/both give you the dimmensions you want or save it as a stl, step file that is more easily read in by other CAD programs. Alternatively you may be able to use Onshape or Fusion360 online CAD software. Just PM me.

BTW...this is my first post on i8mud after having bought my first LC, a 1998 model.

cheers

First off- welcome to 'mud! If you'll PM me your email address, I can send you this .sldprt file. Anything you can do to either save it in another format, or ideally, get the dimensions for individual tubes, would be awesome!

Hi Luke,

I imagine what you are looking for is a parts list, with each tube segment saved as a separate part, with its drawing and dimensions showing on a drawing.

The short answer it can be done with many hours of work. Unfortunately, there is no automated way that I know of.

What I was able to do is save the file as an eDrawings file and host it on my Google Drive. SolidWorks offers a free eDrawings viewer that lets you rotate, zoom and make virtual measurements of any of the parts.

Here is the file: ExoSharkChassis (1).EPRT

Here is the eDrawings viewer: Download eDrawings Viewer (you don't need the publisher option)

Cheers,

Markus

Sweet! That makes it much easier for me to pull dimensions for individual pieces! I was hoping there would be some automated parts list plug-in for SolidWorks, but this accomplishes the same thing.

Thanks man!

I looked into it a bit more and came up with a way to create a Weldment cut table. It is dense. Here is both a png and link to an eDrawing file.

ExoSharkChassis (1).PNG

Holy crap man! You’ve gone way above and beyond what I was hoping for! May the Cruiser gods shine upon you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom