Anyone have a picture or diagram of the hose orientation on the idle up valve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my idle-up vac hoses about a month ago and feel weird about the orientation of my hoses. I pulled them both while replacing and am now wondering if someone with a stock cruiser would mind taking a picture of their idle up hoses and the orientation the plug into the valve. I haven't put many miles on the cruiser since I installed them - while checking fluid levels today I glanced at the hoses and it got me thinking.

One line connects to the top of the intake manifold and the other connects to the air box.

IIRC it doesn't matter, since all that the valve does is allow air to pass through when enough load is placed on the power steering pump. No matter which way the hoses are strung, it'll operate the same.

IIRC it doesn't matter, since all that the valve does is allow air to pass through when enough load is placed on the power steering pump. No matter which way the hoses are strung, it'll operate the same.

Thanks for the input. So to say that back to you the way I'm hearing it: when a great enough load is placed on the power steering pump to reduce revs, the idle-up opens a non-directional valve and introduces un-metered air to the intake manifold to increase revs.

In looking at the idle up diagram, I don't see where its input to perform the open/close function comes from? It would seem the most logical way to do this would be via vacuum. This is why I was leaning towards the valve being directional. In essence, intake manifold vacuum increases as power steering load climbs, idle up opens from that vacuum and pulls un-metered air from filter box.

It opens via pressure from the power steering pump. Somehow. But other than that, correct. Technically the air through the valve is metered because it's after the MAF sensor.

not sure if this helps. my original hose orientation after removing the air box...

IMG_6515.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom