Anyone change to manual AC controls on a 16+? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I absolutely hate the lack of climate control without the screen. I remember someone did it on here with an older LC. I’m willing to be the guinea pig for a 2016+ if someone can help me find the parts.
17C9C908-F477-4AD8-BA5E-3AF31C386B62.jpeg

I absolutely hate the lack of climate control without the screen. I remember someone did it on here with an older LC. I’m willing to be the guinea pig for a 2016+ if someone can help me find the parts.
View attachment 2670554

That's awesome. Had no idea they had manual HVAC controls for different trim levels on the 2016+ models. Would love to have that. I also hate having to go through multiple steps to adjust fan speed.

Either use VOICE control or (for me) i just increase / decrease temperature if i am not satisfied with fan speed (in AUTO mode). I use AUTO mode all day long.

Otherwise, good luck with the surgery. The radio is in the wrong place in above pic. It would not translate well to USA LC.

Either use VOICE control or (for me) i just increase / decrease temperature if i am not satisfied with fan speed (in AUTO mode). I use AUTO mode all day long.

Otherwise, good luck with the surgery. The radio is in the wrong place in above pic. It would not translate well to USA LC.

Fan speed can be adjusted by voice control?

Fan speed can be adjusted by voice control?
Never tried it…but my salesman when i bought it claims it…but you know…salesman are salesman. I just change temperature.

Never tried it…but my salesman when i bought it claims it…but you know…salesman are salesman. I just change temperature.
I had no idea. I just use it for calls. A quick look shows you can use it to turn climate controls on/off and adjust temperature. Both things you can do with one button, but can't adjust fan speed unfortunately.

mXEaLwr.png

Has anyone looked into this further?

I love my 200 and will start building it in a few years. I just don't trust complicated electronics too much, no particular reason. Seems like it could be a weak point down the road. I would love to swap the HVAC controls to manual/button style and throw in a normal head unit. Especially while the 200 parts are still in production and can be bought through Partsouq today, rather than trying this 10-15 years down the road when everything is discontinued.

Too big of a hurdle? Maybe there are too many systems tied into the factory touch screen?

vdj200-gntaz-G37.jpeg

vdj200-gntaz-G33.jpeg

A quick look through the EPC and some googling tells me:
- There are parts out there and available for the conversion

5590560B31.jpeg

5594460050.jpeg

- and all you need is an electronics wizard, a parts guru and probably a good friend in the middle east

A quick look through the EPC and some googling tells me:
- There are parts out there and available for the conversion

View attachment 3387871

View attachment 3387872

- and all you need is an electronics wizard, a parts guru and probably a good friend in the middle east
With the older model conversion done by a Mud user, he found a 4 zone manual unit, where most, like those pictured in this thread, are dual zone. Seems like it was a big project IIRC.

What I find surprising is that people think manually controlling the temperature in your car is going to work better than setting the temperature and let the automatic system with many outlets do its job. Mind blowing, but then again I am an engineer therefore things in my world follow a logic. I also know the engineers at Toyota (or BMW, Mercedes, Ford etc etc) have gotten this right already for decades.

Now in case the fan speed gets to low and you need a bit more air, just drop the temp button a few degree and that is it. Manual button on the 16+ is right there.

Oh well, good luck trying manual. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
What I find surprising is that people think manually controlling the temperature in your car is going to work better than setting the temperature and let the automatic system with many outlets do its job. Mind blowing, but then again I am an engineer therefore things in my world follow a logic.

Now in case the fan speed gets to low and you need a bit more air, just drop the temp button a few degree and that is it. Manual button on the 16+ is right there.

It isn't that. It is having to control everything through the touchscreen where the other physical buttons can still do "auto" but allows you to control without navigating through the touchscreen. I have a 23 Tundra, and it has separate controls that don't tie into the touchscreen, and it is great.

Nice. Do you have a link to a thread or write up?
No, just remember reading it a few years ago. You can probably find it on search.

It isn't that. It is having to control everything through the touchscreen where the other physical buttons can still do "auto" but allows you to control without navigating through the touchscreen. I have a 23 Tundra, and it has separate controls that don't tie into the touchscreen, and it is great.
Well, i have my car on auto climate control and set at 72 degr F front, 74 degr F rear.

I get in, start the car and that is it.... Only adjustment needed is maybe drop to 70 or 68 when the sun is shining full from the front or on a corner.

The temperature buttons for that are right there, driver and passenger side and in the rear.

1690773001584.png
1690773229362.png

What are you trying to do via the touchscreen?

Last edited:
What I find surprising is that people think manually controlling the temperature in your car is going to work better than setting the temperature and let the automatic system with many outlets do its job. Mind blowing, but then again I am an engineer therefore things in my world follow a logic.

I love the auto feature until my wife gets in the car and starts messing it all up. Smh.

Well, i have my car on auto and set at 72 degr F. Rear at 74 degr F.

I get in, start the car and that is it.... Only adjustment needed is maybe drop to 70 or 68 when the sun is shining full from the front or on a corner.

The buttons for that are right there.

What are you trying to do in the touchscreen?
Touchscreen is required for wiper heater, if I want air only blowing out of the front vents, or just feet, etc. Sometimes I want the fan to be higher on defrost than what Auto provides as well. I agree that auto works well for most functions, but not all. My Tundra has "Mode" button that cycles through all the different options. That would have been a great option to have.

I'd have preferred that the controls were all physical for longevity purposes, as replacing a $3500 touchscreen to have HVAC controls is not a great solution.

The main reason I'd want a simple interface for HVAC is so I can put a standalone car stereo in the care, as Toyota's interface leaves a lot to be desired, and the Tesla style and other Chinese replacements all leave something to be desired, but I'm glad they're available in the event I need to replace my touchscreen at least. Putting in a good Alpine unit, and they sell a factory look option, would be great compared to the Toyota system.

No, it's different than that. I actually like the auto feature and use it. What I'm talking about is simplifying the system to use the basic HVAC controls like they do in the middle east and other markets for long term simplicity.

Maybe 200s aren't old enough yet to see these kind of problems - I know I've seen a few threads - but I'm very familiar with 100s and just a quick search over there looks like this:

Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 8.48.06 PM.jpg

You can find many threads of people with Nav screen issues on a 15-20 year old vehicle. If it's not working for whatever reason, you lose all ability for climate control, vehicle settings, cameras, etc. etc.. Like this guy -

But this is obviously theoretical as my LC is a 21 and everything functions flawlessly. If my nav screen goes out, I still have the auto button, front and rear fan off, and the defrost physical buttons. Could auto still work? I don't know. Or could I be looking at losing my nav screen on a trip in the desert and losing AC? Not sure.

This guy claims he couldn't enable AC even with "auto" when his screen died:

So again my point in thinking about this is for 15-20 years down the road. I plan on keeping this 200 forever - should I pick up a GRJ200 HVAC control system while it can be bought new OEM through Dubai right now, rather than be wishing i had in the year 2039?

But I realize it's not for everyone. I also like mechanical/physical knobs and controls. I love my HDJ81 because it's a 100% mechanical diesel with no ECU, same principle.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Touchscreen is required for wiper heater, if I want air only blowing out of the front vents, or just feet, etc. Sometimes I want the fan to be higher on defrost than what Auto provides as well. I agree that auto works well for most functions, but not all. My Tundra has "Mode" button that cycles through all the different options. That would have been a great option to have.

I'd have preferred that the controls were all physical for longevity purposes, as replacing a $3500 touchscreen to have HVAC controls is not a great solution.

The main reason I'd want a simple interface for HVAC is so I can put a standalone car stereo in the care, as Toyota's interface leaves a lot to be desired, and the Tesla style and other Chinese replacements all leave something to be desired, but I'm glad they're available in the event I need to replace my touchscreen at least. Putting in a good Alpine unit, and they sell a factory look option, would be great compared to the Toyota system.
So you are saying pressing <Front> and later back to <Auto> does not do the same?

1690773846506.png

The manual states this to defog the windshield. Looks like switching of recirculation is important.
1690774469977.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom