Anyone change their own tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone change their own tires? If so let everyone know what tools/tips/insights you have.

I've done ATV/UTV tires by hand, but not full size Toyota 4x4 tires yet. I'm thinking of investing in some tools but want to hear what others have experienced before I pull the trigger.

Does anyone change their own tires? If so let everyone know what tools/tips/insights you have.

I've done ATV/UTV tires by hand, but not full size Toyota 4x4 tires yet. I'm thinking of investing in some tools but want to hear what others have experienced before I pull the trigger.
I watch my tire guys do it by hand from time to time, and think they are wild for not using our fancy ass machine to do it

But, they use the same spoons you use on your smaller tires, just waaay bigger. The idea and method is The same, just a bigger set of spoons (about 3ft long)

I do from time to time. use the same tools on wheels of my old Mustang as I do on the drive tires of my John Deere a couple of 24" tyre levers and a 30" 2 x 3/8 flat bar and a hi-lift jack as a bead breaker if the backhoe isn't handy Tips :use lots of soap paste as a lubricant. & 4 oz of bird shot inside the tyre will balance almost any 4x4 wheel

Thanks for the replies. I bought some tire lube and other miscellaneous supplies. Still need to get big tire levers/spoons.

I use Ken-Tool 34645 tire bar, a 30" curved spoon, Blackjack lube, and a slide hammer bead breaker. I think breaking the bead is usually the most difficult part of busting tires. I mount and repair the tires on all our vehicles.

I also have the HF tire changer. It nearly broke trying to break the beads on my stock tacoma wheels. I would get a dedicated bead breaker if i did it again. Also, i really destroyed the finish on my alloy rims and had to re paint them(with the tire on). I still haven't discovered the secret to changing tires without destroying the rim on alloys.

Plan on bolting the changer to the garage floor. I don't think it's possible any other way. So you'll need a hammer drill, masonry bits and concrete anchors to accomplish that.

I haven't changed the tires myself. Thank you for the tips and suggestions. It was really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom