Anyone carry/use an electric Chain Saw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my little dewalt drips also, maybe a fix will develope since its a known issue, in the meantime if nothing else it gives me a reason to look over and wipe down more often.

My Ryobi has been great for the last few years. Chain sharpness has a massive effect on battery life so I use a handheld stihl sharpener on it pretty regularly and keep a spare chain with me. It leaks bar oil like a sieve though. Haven't found a chainsaw box that fits it well yet.

Not having owned an electric chainsaw before (but on the verge of purchasing), let me ask a dumb question. . . If you use an electric chainsaw infrequently, then why not just put a minimum amount of oil in the reservoir (+ on chain bar) when you pull it out of storage to use it? Then when you put it up for a time, it's not leaking a full reservoir all over the garage or truck box.

Not having owned an electric chainsaw before (but on the verge of purchasing), let me ask a dumb question. . . If you use an electric chainsaw infrequently, then why not just put a minimum amount of oil in the reservoir (+ on chain bar) when you pull it out of storage to use it? Then when you put it up for a time, it's not leaking a full reservoir all over the garage or truck box.

You could definitely do this. I just fill my saw up every use because of the number of cuts it does in a session; and running a saw dry is pretty hard on it from my understanding. I put it on a piece of plywood in the shed - it leaks a bit but doesn't drain the reservoir.

All that being said, a box that is well fitted would be great for vehicle use if anyone has one they use!

It's not difficult to empty the reservoir of oil for storage, of course, but it's a messy pain with the heavier saws.
I have some oil absorbing pads in my chainsaw cases, it helps, but that's just for the occasional drip, not a whole reservoir.
With my saws, I always make a point of refilling the oil tank every time I gas up or change the battery. It's gotta be an iron-clad routine or I will eventually forget due to incipient senility, and run dry and ruin the chain -or worse- the bar.

I've used one (15amp corded Worx brand) without ever putting a drop in it. It's used sparingly, but has done a fair amount of work over 7years including branches 12" thick. It's kept behind passenger seat in work truck. No case.

Happy Birthday to me.
4AC23EDF-AE62-4B1B-9ED5-52039AAD9518.jpeg

I think we can agree that the oil reservoir emptying itself in storage is not good design. So I don't know from reading that manual blurb if an owner should be pleased that they (indirectly) acknowledge the problem or ticked off that they didn't solve it already while knowing about it...

(I don't recall reading something like that in any of my manuals...)

unfortunately for me, that plan would get me in trouble. It's a sure thing I would eventually go beyond the planned for oil and run the thing dry, which is not good.

Out of curiosity, I went and checked my Makita manual for similar language, but no, did not see anything like that about the need to empty the tank for storage. Which would not matter anyway because it does not appear to leak. (I will, however, say that -annoyingly- there appears to be more pages in the manual about disclaimers, warnings, lawyerish CYA nonsense, trite statements about obvious use practice, etc, than about real technical content... sheesh... sign of the times...)

For me this saw is a new part of my wheeling/recovery gear. It will be used infrequently enough that I can develop a ritual for oiling and keep a small flask in the gear bag.

true, if the saw is used only for the rare trail obstruction, leaving it dry with a little bit of oil in a separate container would largely alleviate the problem.

If it leaks oil, it has oil.
The Milwaukee 16” has been cutting above its pay grade for a couple seasons now.
Bar oil is cheap, bars and chains are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom