Anybody running the Rock Auto AAE Steering rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are misinformed and your logic of understanding supply vs demand is flawed. I purchased a NEW Toyota steering rack last year and just so happens my friend bought one two weeks ago. Both came from a friendly Toyota dealer, aka Satan. :flipoff2:

Again, new old stock not withstanding.

I went with the aae but it's only been on the truck for a few weeks.

Just put Detroit reman on mine - lifetime warranty plus a local shop only asking 3 hours labor made it an easy choice.

Plus DA has been in business 30 years, all US based operations, and you can talk to real people on the phone!

Just put Detroit reman on mine - lifetime warranty plus a local shop only asking 3 hours labor made it an easy choice.

Plus DA has been in business 30 years, all US based operations, and you can talk to real people on the phone!
I loved the reman

I was impressed with the reman quality of DA rack.. Solid product made here in the US

Again, new old stock not withstanding.

It's not 'new old stock'. It came from Toyota's main warehouse in California to my local dealership. I'm not sure where your getting your information from. Did your dealer tell you it's OBSOLETE or NLA (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)??? I called my dealer yesterday out of curiosity and they told me "NO PROBLEM, CAN HAVE YOU ONE IN THREE DAYS FROM THE USA"...

It's not 'new old stock'. It came from Toyota's main warehouse in California to my local dealership. I'm not sure where your getting your information from. Did your dealer tell you it's OBSOLETE or NLA (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)??? I called my dealer yesterday out of curiosity and they told me "NO PROBLEM, CAN HAVE YOU ONE IN THREE DAYS FROM THE USA"...

Is there a reason you’d go with New OEM vs reman OEM?

Seals and rubber go bad, rebuild, test, charge a fraction vs new OEM ... I choose reman but perhaps I’m missing a key data point?

Is there a reason you’d go with New OEM vs reman OEM?

Seals and rubber go bad, rebuild, test, charge a fraction vs new OEM ... I choose reman but perhaps I’m missing a key data point?

I guess it depends what your comfortable with. I'm not keen on rebuilt racks because the rebuild is only as good as the rebuilder. These guys are trying to make money (obviously). They are salvaging worn housings, sometimes polishing them or installing stainless sleeves inside the bore. The teeth in the pinion can be worn, the control valves can be worn out, a multitude of issues. You would hope they cherry pick the good stuff and assemble one rack from three worn out ones, but who knows. Warranty? I prefer not find out the quality of a product to use it. To each there own.

I still have my OEM when I replaced. Is there a Toyota rebuild kit for it?

Is the rack different in a 98-02? I noticed the Amazon for Detroit Axle listing is for 03+

The part numbers are different ... the 03+ are more expensive ... I don't know why that is though

I still have my OEM when I replaced. Is there a Toyota rebuild kit for it?

98-02 LAND CRUISER (Believe rack mount bushings are different for sure 03+, but internals.....?)

04445-60080 GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR (FOR RACK & PINION). GASKET KIT

That includes the control valve rebuild O-rings and packings listed below;

04455-60050 GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE OVERHAUL, GASKET KIT

Or I can supply aftermarket full rebuild kits for about half that price if needed.

Last edited:
44250-60050 In all it's dirty sexy (new) goodness...
Brand spanking new @Spike555
Longevity comes at a price, isn't that why we all drive a 100...? 270,000 Miles and not bothering to count any more... :flipoff2:

IMG_20160318_190315.jpg

Has anyone ordered one from these guys?

steering gear & linkage

I ordered a rack, outer tie rods and the mounting grommet - price on the rack assembly is good. But... I ordered on 4/19 then got a funny email a few minutes later with an order update with the rack removed and a note about can't ship due to shipping cost.

Thank you for your order Your cart has been updated, your total has changed due to one of the following Part item removed Shipping cost Part cost Any one of these can increase or decrease the total please follow the link below to follow up on your order The gear steering was removed we currently cannot ship due to freight changes .

Been trying to reach them via email and phone. I haven't been charged so I'm not too worried... yet. I just want the dang rack so I can swap it out.

Last edited:
Is the rack different in a 98-02? I noticed the Amazon for Detroit Axle listing is for 03+

Here's the exact one I bought from Amazon via DA:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VFFW5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, It's working beautifully. It's worth noting that the picture shows the black painted crap looking reman units (with that crappy black rhinoliner type paint) but what I got was a NEW rack that looks identical to the OEM. EVERYTHING on the rack looks solid- I tried to find things wrong, loose, different than the OEM. But- the DA unit is solid IMHO, I had no reservations installing it.

And it has a lifetime warranty. I called DA and they said they rarely get them back for this model, and when they did upon inspection they find that the customer clearly didn't flush the old fluid out (fluid contam) and that will kill even the precious OEM rack.

I will update this post if it s***s the bed (I'm fairly sure it won't).

Here's the exact one I bought from Amazon via DA:

Amazon product ASIN B019VFFW5W
BTW, It's working beautifully. It's worth noting that the picture shows the black painted crap looking reman units (with that crappy black rhinoliner type paint) but what I got was a NEW rack that looks identical to the OEM. EVERYTHING on the rack looks solid- I tried to find things wrong, loose, different than the OEM. But- the DA unit is solid IMHO, I had no reservations installing it.

And it has a lifetime warranty. I called DA and they said they rarely get them back for this model, and when they did upon inspection they find that the customer clearly didn't flush the old fluid out (fluid contam) and that will kill even the precious OEM rack.

I will update this post if it s***s the bed (I'm fairly sure it won't).

How’s the Detroit Axle rack and pinion holding up now after a year? My rack needs replacing and I am considering this option

Detroit axle stuff is trash. Regret putting mine on and just wish I spent the extra and got OEM Toyota. The inner tie rods are made of the crappiest softest metal. I went to do an alignment adjustment and it near rounded off. Also nearly stripped the threads off when I put new outer tie rods on by hand.

CVs were crap too and I sent it back. Flung grease everywhere on installation.

Oh darn. I might as well shell out the extra cash and go OEM. Thank you!

Just curious what was your fix to the problem?

Well I'm unfortunately running it at the moment. Got a vibration, but not shimmy through my steering wheel at 65 mph+. I have brand new front end with 555 ball joints and OEM cvs. Waiting for it to blow up, and then go through the trouble of a PITA steering rack replacement with a new OEM unit.

Came to the same conclusion. Not worth "saving" $200 for a reman. Found OEM rack for 475, my dealer usually matches prices. No shipping, no core to deal with, and new OEM Toyota rack.

- Kevin.

I guess it depends what your comfortable with. I'm not keen on rebuilt racks because the rebuild is only as good as the rebuilder. These guys are trying to make money (obviously). They are salvaging worn housings, sometimes polishing them or installing stainless sleeves inside the bore. The teeth in the pinion can be worn, the control valves can be worn out, a multitude of issues. You would hope they cherry pick the good stuff and assemble one rack from three worn out ones, but who knows. Warranty? I prefer not find out the quality of a product to use it. To each there own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom