anybody have a remote start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife has a 00 LC and I would like to add a remote start. wondering if anybody has one, where it was installed any what manufacture made the kit, and what your key ring looks like?

I had the clifford/viper 2-way system on my 4Runner. Not cheap, but you get everythign in one and you can do pretty much any/everything with the unit. You can even get it to do different functions like turn on the de-frost etc. I highly recomend... One thing that was pretty funny is that everyone thought the remote was my cell phone. I couldn't help but play allong... ;)

479Vfrontbg.jpg

I have one and like it. Install was complex and I'm glad I didn't tackle it myself. I have a much more simplistic version and opted for few tie-ins to accessory equipment. It simple does the locks and starts or stops the engine. Many of the systems are made by the same company, called www.Directed.com

Scott

Scott,

Thanks, I' familiar w/ directed. Did you 'loose' the toyota key/keyfob and do all function (lock / unlock / start / stop) with the aftermarket. Or is it half and half?

zukota said:
Wife has a 00 LC and I would like to add a remote start. wondering if anybody has one, where it was installed any what manufacture made the kit, and what your key ring looks like?

Before you have one installed I would recommend asking to see a current install going on in back, there are lots of butchers out there installing stuff that. They have no pride in what they are doing. If you can find someone that still solders & heat shrinks there connections, then use them, as there installs will probably be top notch as well. You may have to settle for the crimp-on connections.
If they are using U-HALL type of connectors then run away.
mytwocnetsworth
DMX

zukota said:
Scott,

Thanks, I' familiar w/ directed. Did you 'loose' the toyota key/keyfob and do all function (lock / unlock / start / stop) with the aftermarket. Or is it half and half?

The Toyota key fob still works, but I kicked up the voltage on the remote start fob so it works from several hundred yards away. I found a picture of the fob at http://sunroofsetc.com/viper_474.jpg . I can see why they're popular in cold areas, and it's also nice to cool down the car remotely in hot weather as well. I pretty impressed....it's a very well thought-out product.

Thanks guys

Scott - nice. I have the same fob for my 4runner remote start and it's already on both key rings.. so i guess i will use that to operate the lc start stop functions. did you have to give up a key when they did the install?

DMX - good call, I have a good 'in' at the local circuit city, i know it will be done corectly.

timely post, I just picked up a remote starter yesterday.
http://www.astroflex.com/index.php?module=CMS&func=view&id=17&page=17

This one will work the door locks as well which is good for me because I don't have the OEM key with remote door lock/unlock functionality.
One interesting note, the unit will require a functioning key (valet is fine) to be installed with what I guess is the sending unit of the remote starter. It is actually is built into the installation process and hidden away in the vehicle. It must have something to do with the keys transponder. Anyway, at least for this application I will be sacrificing a valet key.
I plan on picking up a ILCO aftermarket transponder key off ebay to replace the key (~$10.00).

zukota said:
please explain? bigger battery??

Two batteries. The guy who installed mine works at Directed. FCC mandates the strength of the signal.....but not an issues in foreign markets. He sent me two higher voltage batteries and it increases the signal strength dramatically.

I put a Bull Dog remote start unit in my 98, I purchased the wiring harness specific to the vehicle and it was a fairly easy install. I had to have the extra valet key to put in the box under the dash. The only function that did not work with the LC engine ECU was the tach start feature. My 98 is a slow starter, I figured I'd use the tach start function to give it a longer crank time. However the LC would start and run for 2 secs and die. After about 8 phone calls and 20 emails to tech support I gave up on the tach start. It just wouldn't work. With the standard feature if it doesn't start on the first hit it trys again in a few minutes and it ususally starts then. I live in the Boston area and its nice in the winter to point the clicker out the front window and warm it up.

Will remote starter automatically detect when the engine is started? I know few people with older models and they need to send a signal few times. Is this problem eliminated with 2-way? Also, what is a true working range, can you send signal through walls?

The range depends on the antenna on the remote start unit. The longer range units have a long antenna you run up the door/windsheild post behind the trim and hang it down a few inches behind the rear view mirror. Looks a little shabby but you can get 3-4 hundred yards. Usually if I can see my cruiser from the window I can start it or set off the alarm. "horn honks"
The remotes know when the car is running, back feed from ignition curcuit or something like that. Most of them you can program for auto start if the outside temp drops below a programed level. The car will run awhile then shut off. This is great for subzero locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom