Anybody done a summer National Park tour? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

North Rim is a great idea...
IMO...the Moab area would not be fun in July. Just to hot...hiking and biking would just be too uncomfortable.

Another idea would be to head to the San Juans...Awesome camping, hiking, biking, and the weather would be ideal...July 4th in Telluride is pretty awesome!

Creste Butte area is epic!

North Rim is a great idea...
IMO...the Moab area would not be fun in July. Just to hot...hiking and biking would just be too uncomfortable.

A couple people have mentioned temps in Moab at this time of year.

From what I've read can expect mid 90's during July. Is that correct?

Also wondering about low temps at night. Trying to figure out which sleeping bag to throw in. 3 season?

Also wondering about low temps at night. Trying to figure out which sleeping bag to throw in. 3 season?
I throw a full set in, and sleep in the the one appropriate for the night, and on top of the others.:D I've had way to many trips where a few nights were 80/90F and some others were 20F.

I love Yellowstone but in the summer its terrible as far as crowds,was kind of like being at the mall in Dallas. MIke

Well, got the camping sites booked. Going to spend a few days at south rim, a few days around north rim, and a few base camped in Zion.

Now I need to get the gear check lists started! And figure out where OHV trails are in the area.

I love Yellowstone but in the summer its terrible as far as crowds,was kind of like being at the mall in Dallas. MIke

Agree with you there! We went the first part of June last year and it was pretty crowded. Luckily we based outside the NE gate and the northside of the park didn't seem to be as crowded. Also happened to be where we saw the most wildlife....probably a correlation there!

24 days to go!

Getting final maintenance items checked off, fluids topped off, oil changed and zerks greased.

Would love to get an ARB awning due to the heat but that will have to wait until another time!

Gonna head out straight out I-40, pick my brother up in Albuquerque, then on to AZ.

google maps puts round trip right at 2600 miles.

has potential to be pretty hot. But its a dry heat so its not too bad, 5%-15% humidity. Low's in the 60's, highs could be as much as 105+. Last weekend we had 104 but today the high is supposed to be around 75 so you never know. Just bring alot of water and you'll be fine. Maybe consider making it a swimming hole trip. Havasu Falls down by the Grand Canyon looks awesome. There's a pretty cool one here in Moab too. Come up the west side of Lake Powell and Canyonlands, see the slots at Escalante, then head back down the east side and do the Moab area. Hit the San Juans in CO on your way back. Ouray to Durango is a really cool area.

has potential to be pretty hot. But its a dry heat so its not too bad, 5%-15% humidity. Low's in the 60's, highs could be as much as 105+. Last weekend we had 104 but today the high is supposed to be around 75 so you never know. Just bring alot of water and you'll be fine. Maybe consider making it a swimming hole trip. Havasu Falls down by the Grand Canyon looks awesome. There's a pretty cool one here in Moab too. Come up the west side of Lake Powell and Canyonlands, see the slots at Escalante, then head back down the east side and do the Moab area. Hit the San Juans in CO on your way back. Ouray to Durango is a really cool area.

My brother is flying in and out of Albuquerque so will be returning thru New Mexico.

I would love to hit Moab/Colorado but guess that will be our next vacation! Just more adventures to plan for the future.

I will have to remember these ideas when my son gets a little older. He's only 2 and a half right now, but loves the cruiser. Mostly because he can sit in the front seat since I have no airbags. That and he gets the cold air which is needed here in Texas. He's bummed that the cruiser is out of service for the head work because he has to sit in the back seat in the family loaner car.

I cant wait to do these.

You will definitely want some shade. I have used one of those 12x12 pop-up units in the past and you can pick up at most sporting goods stores. I did the Denver to Mesa Verde, 4-Corners to Grand Canyon, Moab back to Denver loop a few years ago over the 4th of July and it was HOT. My temp gauge read 108 degrees F, as we rolled into Moab at 3 pm. Shade and water will make it more enjoyable for sure. You can also slip in Colorado National Monument if you are swinging through Grand Junction.

If you have kids, check out the Park Service' passport program. They can have their 'passport' stamped at each park. We did that a few years ago on our CA, NV, UT, CO, NB, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA loop. We also kicked the kids out and had them walk across each state line so they could say they walked to each state:D. I'd boot them out and say something like "I'll pick you up in Idaho"

Butt

Thats awesome! My wife and I did the walking stick with a plaque from each park thing for our kids. Love the "boot them out" part.

We just got back last week-end. I posted a few pics in a seperate thread.

The America the beautiful pass was great as we decided to stop at a couple of other sights along the way - petrified forest, coral pink sand dunes, etc.

Temps actually were not that bad. high 90's during the day and actually
got down to 43 a couple of nights at South rim.
----
tips for future trips:
1. Always pack a jacket - night time temps drop more drastically at higher altitudes. And after hiking in 90-100+ temps - even a 20 degree drop to 70-80 is noticeable.
2. Fleece sleeping bag liners are great for cold nights - and extra padding to sleep on if you don't need it for warmth!
3. If you don't have an Arb/Engel fridge - 2 ice chests works great. 1 for frozen goods with a block of dry ice. The other for drinks, lunch meat, etc.
-------
The parks are beyond amazing and really can only be appreciated after visiting in person...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom