Any way to improve turning radius? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Putting bigger wheels should help, when I went from 18s to 17s AT I noticed cornering changed considerably.

what.jpg

Maybe I am mistaken about turning radius, but cornering changed alot. I would do alot more U turns on a dime when I had passenger 18" tires. When I switched to KO2's I noticed the stiff sidewall. It may not affect the actual turning radius but it was alot smoother and easier to do.

Last edited:
Maybe I am mistaken about turning radius, but cornering changed alot. I would do alot more U turns on a dime when I had passenger 18" tires. When I switched to KO2's I noticed the stiff sidewall. It may not affect the actual turning radius but it was alot smoother and easier to do.

1.5 cents:
If it was less effort (“easier”) to turn the wheel with new KO2’s, it was probably just because knobby tires aren’t going to grab the pavement & resist low speed turning of the steering wheel as much and more slick...more contact...street tires. That, and...any brand new set feels easier to turn than worn tires of the same design.

Any time I’ve ever pulled out of a tire shop on brand new tires....it’s one of those “ahhhhhh” moments. So smooth & quiet when slippery-new...

Agree
Turning radius on this truck is surprisingly good.

I hopped in my brother-in-law’s JK on a Breckenridge Trail last year and was blown away by how awful the turn radius was by comparison.
Is it a 4-door? The 4-door Wrangler’s wheelbase is significantly longer than the 200: 118” vs 112” for the LC.

Is it a 4-door? The 4-door Wrangler’s wheelbase is significantly longer than the 200: 118” vs 112” for the LC.

Yes. But...the difference was pretty stunning. I noticed it when I drove up an obstacle for them...and then simply tried to make a u-turn around a pine tree (almost a full circle around it) that I had just done in my 200.

In my 200, I didn’t even have to go full lock...yet in the Jeep...I wasn’t even close to making it at full lock. To me, that implies it’s more that just the 4” difference.

Just looked it up.
LC (4-door) 38.7
JK 4-door 40.8

Felt like more than 2.1 feet difference...but that’s still pretty significant...

Last edited:
Yup, 38.7‘ for the 200. The 4Runner is 37.4’ and the GX460 is 38.1.

The LX570 has better turning radius than Range Rover Sport and GL550, plus 4 feet shorter than the X7. That seems pretty good.
And the ML550 is the same as the LC, 38.7 😆

I noticed on my 4Runner that after I moved the caster forward my turning radius was reduced. I’m not sure why but it was noticeable.

According to my knowledge getting from howtruck's article we can improve the turning radius of the truck by removing the pair of rack limiters. Also, the installation of wheel spacers for taking the extra edge of the radius can help in this matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom