Any one completly rewire there fj40 with painless kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Alright my rig has no wiring at all. so i bought a painless kit to rewire it. I dont need anything amazing just the basic stuff to work, lights, horn, wipers, ect... anyways i was woundering if any one has done this. Ive heard mixed things about it. SOme say its really crappy and confusing others say its a piece of cake. ANother thing is i didnt buy the cruiser, bronco, scoute kit becasue there not spacificaly for the car anyways and i got a good deal on a chevy 12 circ kit and since my cruiser has a checy 350 it should be fine. What should i look out for when i do this?

thanks mike

I know a guy who did a Challenger with a painless kit and likes it a lot. He said it was all really well laid out and reflected original equipment perfectly. The hardest part was disconnecting the wires from the plugs ( I don't think kits come with new plugs) I guess youhave to fit a small screwdriver ( like eyeglass type) into the plug to release a small tab and remove the wire. Just a bit time consuming and tight work. Also, I recommend soldering all your new fittings - since you are i there - and using shrink tubing to seal the exposed wire portions. I am really leaning towards getting a wireless kit too and just using it to fix stuff as I go since it all is proper size and color code for your year.

Oh - and check with cool cruiser (coolcruisers.com) in Texas. They have the Cruiser wire kits there for like $350.

well i already bout a chevy 12 circ kit and its on its way so i dont need cool cruisers that and i only paid $170 for the kit including fuse block. The "land cruiser" kit isnt realy a land cruiser kit its for land cruisers, broncos, scoutes so its all the same as a chevy kit in my eyes. Ill take some pics and post them here when im done.

thanks mike :D

I rewired my cruiser with a painless fuse block. Overall a positive experience. The narrative that comes with the fuse block confused me a little bit but I just looked at the fuse block and wiring diagram and figured it out. I guess I'm a visual learner. Good luck.

Yes, I used a Painless 18 circuit "street rod" harness (fuse block is in the rear of vehicle). I think the painless documentation could be better, but the actual harness is top quality.

I recommend starting simple: lay the harness in the vehicle (do not tie down wires or cut them yet), wire the starting and charging systems first (get the beast running..!!), then move to gauges, lights, wipers, heater, accessories. Once everything is working as you like, then cut wires to length, wrap with split loom, and tie them down...

One other point: solder, solder, solder all permanent connections... all other connections should use auto grade bulkhead connectors... do not use "crimp-on" or screw type connectors, they are a high failure risk...!!!

I'm thinking of rewiring my 40 also. I noticed that CCOT has recently had their wiring kits on sale. Does anyone know if it's the same as the Painless kit? Has anyone out there used CCOTs kit? If so, how did you like it? What is a bulkhead connector?

I have a painless kit for the FJ40/scout/eb in the for sale section https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=2718;start=msg48774#msg48774($325 shipped or $300 you pick up). I got a little over zealous when I first got my 40 and bought stuff I did not actually need.
-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom