Any Ironman 270 Awning impressions ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had mine for a little while now. I've only deployed it a handful of time. It's set up on the mounts that come with the awning on the top of my Gamiviti rack. I had a Napa awning on the truck before, and this one has so much more coverage. It's way easier to deploy and take down. There does seem to be a little sag in the arms when the awning is being deployed until you put some tension on it with the retaining strap that goes to your tie down on the opposite side of where you mounted it on the car.

I completely agree that for the money, it's impossible to find anything comparable that is freestanding and 270*. I don't have enough experience with it to assess long term durability, but so far, I'm a very happy customer.

Would love to know if anyone has had luck with this awning (or any 270) on an LX with the factory wing. Seems like the awning would interfere unless it was mounted higher than the rack, which might then interfere with the tent.

Our "standard" shape ironman awning had held up great over the past couple of years. Really happy with it, just sometimes wish for more coverage at the back of the rig.

So which side is more practical? I really have no idea.
I think it comes down to the configuration of your vehicle. I have a rear swing bumper with spare tire on the right, and fuel and water cans on the left. So both Sides of the vehicle will have some sort of obstruction. I chose left side awning, as I’m much more likely to dismount the cans and/or rack while camping than the tire. Even if I don’t, they don’t occupy as much space as my spare tire.

Reactions: cmw
Awning mounted. So far Ironman has exceeded my expectations. Great packaging, heavier than expected mounting brackets, and even included a 13mm ratcheting combination wrench for the installation (and periodic checking of the bolts). I may fuss a bit with the brackets when I'm feeling more myself (covid), but it's a solid addition to the vehicle.

20220612_111256.jpg

20220612_111314.jpg

20220611_165741.jpg

would you share what the mounting brackets look like? are they just standard L brackets?

Any concerns now with the 270 ? how has it held up ?
I’ve only used it incidentally on a couple of trips, so not exhaustive testing, but it seems fine. It could definitely be more streamlined, and I’m going to look into lower profile mounting, but that’s on me, not Ironman.

I used the brackets the other way on my fj40 off the roll bar and it is as low as you can go IMO. I notice that the lower channel on the awning and on the side rail for your rack are same, coul dthe awning back become the side rail then it would just need some 90* brackets front and rear, with a sturdy one at the back. that would lower the profile quite a bit. Mine sits so the bottom is right where the top of hard door would be on a fj40 and is perfect from top of windshield to just barely past back of tub.

I used the brackets the other way on my fj40 off the roll bar and it is as low as you can go IMO. I notice that the lower channel on the awning and on the side rail for your rack are same, coul dthe awning back become the side rail then it would just need some 90* brackets front and rear, with a sturdy one at the back. that would lower the profile quite a bit. Mine sits so the bottom is right where the top of hard door would be on a fj40 and is perfect from top of windshield to just barely past back of tub.
Thanks for the feedback. As usual, I got it and threw it on before a trip and just wanted the quickest method. I‘ll take your recommendations into consideration next time I’m getting ready to mount it.

I have the standard 6.5” ironman awning and love it. Do they offer the complete awning room for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom