Any interest in Doug Thorley Headers? 2005-2007 100 series THY-562-SS-C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LCMoneyPit

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been searching for a set of these for a while with no luck, and DT's website constantly says they're out of stock. I contacted them a couple weeks ago and they said they had 2 orders but wouldn't make a batch until they had more orders. I placed an order on the DT website, so now they have 3 orders (hint: use the discount code DT to take off 10%). How many people would be interested in a set if I can sort out with DT how to get these made?

Update on discussions with DT. The other day they told me to bump up their production and do these headers out of sequence would require something like 100 orders. I've resigned myself to getting the headers if/when they get around to it. Hoping my steering rack last however long that is, as I was planning to gain some time efficiencies from the shop by having both done at once.

You must have an earlier year LC then. Those are around but the ones for the 05-07 have disappeared.

Correct me if I’m wrong but can’t you use the 03-05 DT headers if you delete the SAIS on 06-07? More expensive but you’ll be removing two failure points (cracked headers and SAIS failure).

hewett said there's a guy that makes a adapter flange that will block off the head ports for SAI. Then you could use the regular, or any headers for the 100vvti. There just isn't enough units out there to interest DT. I'd bet they'd never make them again. There's only a few thousand 2006-7 units.
Too expensive for shorties in my book anyway.

I do wonder about double gaskets and a thin flange with the holes welded. I wonder how they would sit in the head, gasket, flange, gasket, backdated header.
Probably not worth it.
Australia might have some decent equal length long tubes that work, but probably not with the stock cat pipe. Then there's the wideband bung placement. That's the ay I would go, if I cared enough. (there's already a perfect turbo manifold log sitting there, lol)
I gave up. But I welded the ports closed on the stock header.

even more...

why are there not bolts holding the SAI air train to the head? IF they would have done that they wouldn't have had to change the exhaust manifold design. I' sure there's more to it than that.

Anyone had any luck getting these? I ordered some in November and was told it would be 8 weeks, then it kept getting pushed out a few weeks at a time. About a 4-6 weeks ago they stopped responding to emails at all, and their phone number is forever busy, like it's disconnected. I'm thinking they may have gone under...sad if so, they've been a staple in the industry for as long as I've been into it, coming up on forty years. At a minimum it's clear they're not staffing any sort of customer support.

Doug himself passed away just this month at 92 here in Utah, but I don't think he's been involved in the business for a number of years. He was a legend though, I do hope the company that bears his name isn't gone too.

Anyone had any luck getting these? I ordered some in November and was told it would be 8 weeks, then it kept getting pushed out a few weeks at a time. About a 4-6 weeks ago they stopped responding to emails at all, and their phone number is forever busy, like it's disconnected. I'm thinking they may have gone under...sad if so, they've been a staple in the industry for as long as I've been into it, coming up on forty years. At a minimum it's clear they're not staffing any sort of customer support.

Doug himself passed away just this month at 92 here in Utah, but I don't think he's been involved in the business for a number of years. He was a legend though, I do hope the company that bears his name isn't gone too.
I got a message a few days ago on my order asking if I still wanted to keep it open. I said yes and asked for an ETA, and they said they don't have an updated ETA as it's a low volume item. So, my order is still open. I've seen some traffic about a group buy someone's running on Facebook, so maybe that will get them enough orders to go run a batch?

They aren't going under. They just require a certain number of orders before doing a run of headers for trucks like these which are relatively low demand relative to other trucks/vehicles. My guess is that from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense for them to keep them in stock since there are so few people wanting them. If you placed an order on their site, they put it on the list and wait until that list fills up.

As suggested above, I'd recommend contacting them and see if they'd support a group buy if you get 25 sign ups. Then advertise it and see if you can get the commitments from the forum/group. This is exactly what is currently going on for the THY-561-SS-C headers for the earlier trucks.

There was a group buy sign up on Facebook recently... the guy needed 25 people to sign up and had around 20 the last time I saw the list..

I'd post the link but on a company computer and no access to social media. Look up Douglas Chan on UZJ100 FB Group

I spoke with them last week. The lady was very friendly and cooperative.

They are supposed to start 561 production on Monday (4/5).
I got a message a few days ago on my order asking if I still wanted to keep it open. I said yes and asked for an ETA, and they said they don't have an updated ETA as it's a low volume item. So, my order is still open. I've seen some traffic about a group buy someone's running on Facebook, so maybe that will get them enough orders to go run a batch?
The FB group buy is over 30 people. That's a good incentive for any manufacturer to run production. I ordered my headers and cat-back system through Summit Racing and I got the cat-back fairly quickly.

I was asured that they are going to send out the headers in order it was received... We'll see.

They aren't going under. They just require a certain number of orders before doing a run of headers for trucks like these which are relatively low demand relative to other trucks/vehicles. My guess is that from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense for them to keep them in stock since there are so few people wanting them. If you placed an order on their site, they put it on the list and wait until that list fills up.

As suggested above, I'd recommend contacting them and see if they'd support a group buy if you get 25 sign ups. Then advertise it and see if you can get the commitments from the forum/group. This is exactly what is currently going on for the THY-561-SS-C headers for the earlier trucks.
That's good to hear. I just wish I could get them to respond at all. I was told 8 weeks in November, then that turned into late January/early February, then they said sometime in late March, and it's been radio silence for about six weeks now...They're not responding to emails, the phone line is always busy. Sounds like maybe they're telling direct buyers they need a certain number of orders to even start, while giving ETAs to their retailers. It's not super urgent for me, but would like to either get my money back or get an accurate estimate of when I'll see them. 🤷‍♂️

That's good to hear. I just wish I could get them to respond at all. I was told 8 weeks in November, then that turned into late January/early February, then they said sometime in late March, and it's been radio silence for about six weeks now...They're not responding to emails, the phone line is always busy. Sounds like maybe they're telling direct buyers they need a certain number of orders to even start, while giving ETAs to their retailers. It's not super urgent for me, but would like to either get my money back or get an accurate estimate of when I'll see them. 🤷‍♂️
They had a manufacturing delay due to a back-ordered part from what I gathered.

I know it sucks the lack of response. I'd be furious. But with this POS COVID, things are different.

The good news is that we should be getting ours soon.

Headers arrived today! I've bought kind of a lot headers for projects in the last thirty five years or so and have to say, these things are beautiful, really a quality product.
20210527_112739.jpg

BTW, for anyone wanting a set for 05-07 trucks, there's a group buy on FB.

Join the group "Land Cruiser 100 & LX470 Owners Group (English)" and you'll see the link if you search Doug Thorley

BTW, for anyone wanting a set for 05-07 trucks, there's a group buy on FB.

Join the group "Land Cruiser 100 & LX470 Owners Group (English)" and you'll see the link if you search Doug Thorley

Damn - wish I saw this. I bought a set from URD using the FORUMMEMBER discount code, before the price hike. It's been 8 weeks and still no word on production (late model VVTI THY-562-SSC headers). Has anyone contacted DT about production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom