Any hybrid techs here? Technical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TurboDennis

SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone please tell me for sure what the input voltage is on those 1500W DC to 120V AC power inverters that newer (2021+) Toyota hybrids come with? I can't seem to find any technical details about it.

I'm researching the feasibility of making one work from a 12V battery.

Thanks!

I have no idea, but would assume it would be pretty high to keep wire size reasonable. Maybe the battery pack nominal voltage? Looks like around 245V for Ni-MH and 259V for Li-ion? Could be stepped down to something less, but doubt it is anywhere close to 12V.

1665102243096.png

As a aside, I am surprised they are still using Ni-MH chemistry. Figured everything would have gone to Li by now.

I have no idea, but would assume it would be pretty high to keep wire size reasonable. Maybe the battery pack nominal voltage? Looks like around 245V for Ni-MH and 259V for Li-ion? Could be stepped down to something less, but doubt it is anywhere close to 12V.

View attachment 3133838

As a aside, I am surprised they are still using Ni-MH chemistry. Figured everything would have gone to Li by now.
I'm surprised with the battery chemistry also. I saw a video recently regarding the AWD Prius. It uses a Ni-MH where as the non AWD Prius uses a Li-ion

Making sure I understand the ask correctly: you're trying to make 120VAC from a 12V battery, using the inverter that supplies power to the cabin outlets? Or something else entirely?

Ni-MH wins for one main reason: cost. It helps that modern BMSs have reduced many of the detrimental effects from Ni-MH packs that we saw in years past. Ni-MH will be around until Li-ion makes a significant step forward.

Making sure I understand the ask correctly: you're trying to make 120VAC from a 12V battery, using the inverter that supplies power to the cabin outlets? Or something else entirely?

Ni-MH wins for one main reason: cost. It helps that modern BMSs have reduced many of the detrimental effects from Ni-MH packs that we saw in years past. Ni-MH will be around until Li-ion makes a significant step forward.

Yes, i want to have a 1500W 120VAC outlet using my auxiliary 12V lithium battery as the source. Im aware that there are a gazillion of aftermarket inverters that can accomplish this, but im a bit of a purist and would prefer to stay with OEM Toyota parts whenever possible. When i saw that some of these new Toyotas have a 1500W 120VAC outlet i got excited, but it seems like its not possible to power it with a 12V source.

Yes, i want to have a 1500W 120VAC outlet using my auxiliary 12V lithium battery as the source. Im aware that there are a gazillion of aftermarket inverters that can accomplish this, but im a bit of a purist and would prefer to stay with OEM Toyota parts whenever possible. When i saw that some of these new Toyotas have a 1500W 120VAC outlet i got excited, but it seems like its not possible to power it with a 12V source.
You can, but you don't need a hybrid to achieve this. That outlet is all over toyota's line up.

Awful lot of integration hassle for such little power.

You can, but you don't need a hybrid to achieve this. That outlet is all over toyota's line up.

Awful lot of integration hassle for such little power.
You mean i NEED a hybrid to achieve this?

Bit of web searching shows that the 1500w inverter runs from the hybrid's high voltage pack. So, forget about it running from 12V.

Also consider that 1500W from 12V means 1500W/12 = 125 Amps before even factoring in (fairly high) efficiency losses in the conversion... Not going to get long run time at max inverter output...

cheers,
george.

Bit of web searching shows that the 1500w inverter runs from the hybrid's high voltage pack. So, forget about it running from 12V.

Also consider that 1500W from 12V means 1500W/12 = 125 Amps before even factoring in (fairly high) efficiency losses in the conversion... Not going to get long run time at max inverter output...

cheers,
george.
Thanks for confirming, George.

I have a custom made 302 AH lithium battery pack (link) so i can actually power an inverter like this for a significant length of time.

Since it seems like this inverter is not an option, does anyone know of any other Toyota inverters that run from 12V? Perhaps something from a large van or a Coaster bus?
I know that there are 400W ones that are available in a lot of Toyotas, but i was looking for a bit more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom