Any experience with External GPS for iPad (GAIA GPS) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any troubleshooting tips for using the ipad with Garmin Inreach mini2?

I had been using a Dual gps puck that worked well, but picked up an Inreach mini2 for the texting and sos features.

I can pair the devices, and I appear to be connected from inside the Garmin Explorer app. If I enable tracking, I can "see" my tracks (blue line on the explorer app map) when it refreshes (set at every 2 min for testing), but the arrow icon doesn't move once I am off wifi.

The arrow icon never moves, neither in Garmin Explorer, nor in Gaia.

If I turn on wifi and use my phone hotspot the arrow icon follows me on the map.

I've tried rebooting both and re-pairing and no change.

I was hoping to retire the Dual gps unit in favor of the Garmin, but can't if I can't get it to work right.

Everything that I read says that you pair them and then can use the gps signal from either app (Explorer, Gaia, or any other map that uses the gps signal).

So if you go under the ipad settings and bluetooth, you see that it is paired with the inreach? With mine, I paired it once, and since then, as soon as I turn it on it is paired with my ipad. I do notice that the inreach needs to initially have a pretty good view of the sky, so I leave it on the dash and it will pick up my location within 5 minutes or so, and then it will work even if it is in the cup holder for the most part.

Yes, it shows paired to the Garmin Inreach mini2 in the iPad settings. It also shows connected inside the Garmin Explorer app.

My mini2 is attached to a short Ram
mount and has very good visibility to the sky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom