Antenna Shenanigans... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dbla

Just tryin' to figure it all out.
Threads
Hello everyone, first post here!

I recently bought an '88 FJ62 in pretty great shape, but it has some interesting quirks to it (as these trucks can)... The antenna will go up nice and smoothly, but as soon as I release the switch it just comes right back down... Any thoughts?

Tennessee gremlins. That sounds like it might be a switch issue. If you pull the dash panel to gain access to that row of switches, you might find an opening small enough on the switch housing to get the small red tip of a electronics spray cleaner in to give it a shot (with power off...I don't recall if it's on battery bus. Try function with key out to verify.) Once sprayed, cycle the switch a bunch to try to clear up contacts, then let dry a couple of hours before trying with power back on.

You get bonus points for being able to spell shenanigans.

Tennessee gremlins. That sounds like it might be a switch issue. If you pull the dash panel to gain access to that row of switches, you might find an opening small enough on the switch housing to get the small red tip of a electronics spray cleaner in to give it a shot (with power off...I don't recall if it's on battery bus. Try function with key out to verify.) Once sprayed, cycle the switch a bunch to try to clear up contacts, then let dry a couple of hours before trying with power back on.

You get bonus points for being able to spell shenanigans.

Cool, I'll need to see if I can figure out how to pull that dash panel. I'm pretty new to all of this but eager to learn.

Cool, I'll need to see if I can figure out how to pull that dash panel. I'm pretty new to all of this but eager to learn.

It's pretty easy...once you've done it. Let's see if I can remember all the screw points. Bottom far left. 12 o'clock in each of the large gauges. Each side just above the steering column, facing driver. Above the air diversion lever, far right. Pull the ash tray; one on each side of bottom of the ashtray port. One just below the bottom right of the radio opening. Two above the radio opening. I think that's all. Be gentle and patient. Good luck.

If I had to take a guess on this one, I'd say a previous owner could have replaced the original antenna with a fully automatic style instead of a semi-automatic. Toyota doesn't make new ones any more, so aftermarket is the only choice and far less expensive anyway...as a newb, I erroneously ordered and installed a fully automatic and it does the same thing as you describe. After doing some searches, I came to find out my error.

If I had to take a guess on this one, I'd say a previous owner could have replaced the original antenna with a fully automatic style instead of a semi-automatic. Toyota doesn't make new ones any more, so aftermarket is the only choice and far less expensive anyway...as a newb, I erroneously ordered and installed a fully automatic and it does the same thing as you describe. After doing some searches, I came to find out my error.

Ironically, if I put the antenna up, and immediately hit the down switch it stays. Then to put it down I just tap up. Go figure.

Ironically, if I put the antenna up, and immediately hit the down switch it stays. Then to put it down I just tap up. Go figure.
Wow, ok...based on that, it could be a totally different issue altogether then. Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

Stock radio or aftermarket? Most aftermarket radios will provide power to the antenna when the radio is on, so perhaps you're getting multiple power signals. Part of the joy of PO work. Glad to see you found a workaround that didn't include stepping out of the truck, raising the hood, thumping the antenna power module, lowering the hood, and getting back in. Like I had with a Jaguar XJS many years ago.

Glenn in Marana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom