Antartic Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of Toyotas and Antarctica, one of our very own Mods, 2nd gen Toyota Fan, is there now, and has a pretty cool pic of a double-cab second-gen pickup from whichever base he landed at.

He's probably out playing ice hockey with a penguin carcass right now, but if he's inclined to share, he has some pretty cool pics of where he's at.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch the Hoth scenes from The Empire Strikes Back over, and over and over...

Very cool - thanks for sharing the link

Seems crazy to stick with the IFS. I know it's just snow, but I've broken stock birfields in snow with 35's. on a much lighter rig. I guess you just go really easy on them?

Very cool build though. I LOVE how the final product looks.

There are some Fords at the South Pole, but they have all arrived in the back of C130s.

AFAIK, Toyotas are the only tired vehicles to traverse Antarctica. There have been Rovers, Jeeps and Fords, but they don't get that far from their stations.... The United States Antarctic Program doesn't allow their big tired trucks to head off the maintained roads; only tractors and Mattrack-equipped trucks. USAP traverses as well travel by tractor, usually hauling equipment with them, but at a safe and slow 6mph. Boring.

http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/features/contenthandler.cfm?id=1856

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom