Another windshield rust battle, I think I've won. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had some pretty big bubbles above the windshield which I wasn't feeling good about. I had windshield replacement through insurance so I scheduled to have it removed and then reinstalled the next day. I also made sure they ordered all new OE trim pieces from Toyota which my insurance covered as well.

So here it is, I ground it all down and was surprised how well it cleaned up, no holes! I'm pretty happy with how the POR-15 went on, seems like it's cured pretty good now. You can barely notice the black strip above the windshield either.

7PK429z.jpg

PUCULGp.jpg

UXFh0V6.jpg

flLEvFQ.jpg

AAzem3k.jpg

wsfykaS.jpg

3zWnNtR.jpg

1OqQM0j.jpg

qYIBNpu.jpg

5uQtL32.jpg

d67gN6C.jpg

ZJ2ZVza.jpg

What is that rubber molding you added? That's not an OEM part to my best knowledge.

Make sure you get a top coat on the POr15, or else it starts peeling off. Its UV sensitive
Yup - it’ll flake off pretty quickly, too, if subjected to a few weeks of UV.

What is that rubber molding you added? That's not an OEM part to my best knowledge.

I had called toyota and asked for all the windshield trim pieces and seals :dunno:

Maybe the glass company added it?

looks like safelight regular upper trim. Bet they looked at the super narrow toyota upper and just tossed it in favor of a big error covering piece. Because really, who's going to look down at the vin window?
certainly not me, standing there, watching new glass being set. haha

I'll get it right the next time.

that wider upper trim is better.

the toyota trim provides zero protection to the vulnerable front edge of the roof where so much of this rust starts as a result of bad chips to the leading edge

I went through similar exercise about 9 months ago. Safelite used the wider trim on the top - which I like. I did have to fight to get the correct coated rivets installed.
20191108_140044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom