Another tire question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am getting the slee heavy 2.5" lift and looking for the biggest tires that will fit on 99" Lx470.

I have found lots of threads that speak of 285 being the biggest in stock height truck. However I am looking for the biggest on a lifted truck.

I don't mind doing some minor trimming, but after the "trim job" is done, I don't want any rubbing.

Imho, Duratracs are the best tire for trucks that see snow, as well as on road performance and off-road (not trying to start a debate, as we all have our favorites), but I want to stick with duratracs.

They offer a 305/70r16 and 315/75r16

Will the 315s work?

Thanks!

I cant say from experience but I think you are going to have rubbing on frame and UCA. unless you run a spacer. There was a thread on here a few / several months ago and someone who ran the 315 general tire had issues with rubbing , then switched to 315 BFG Ko2 and had no rubbing. The issue is not all tires are the same size , but I can tell you I run the 285 Dura tracs and I think the 315 will rub due to the side wall tread. There is an entire thread on 35 inch tires.

Show off your 100 beast with 35's

Thanks, I will look for the thread. I appreaciate your help.

I cant say from experience but I think you are going to have rubbing on frame and UCA. unless you run a spacer. There was a thread on here a few / several months ago and someone who ran the 315 general tire had issues with rubbing , then switched to 315 BFG Ko2 and had no rubbing. The issue is not all tires are the same size , but I can tell you I run the 285 Dura tracs and I think the 315 will rub due to the side wall tread. There is an entire thread on 35 inch tires.

Show off your 100 beast with 35's

Accepted wisdom is that 315/75R16 will rub. I harp on this regularly--a suspension lift will not have any effect on what size tire fits. You can play with spacers to clear the UCA, but then you'll aggravate rubbing on the body. The only true 315/75R16 fit I'm aware of is accomplished via a body lift.
295/75R16 clears the UCA and the front body. The rears will harmlessly rub the inside wheel well at full articulated stuff.

So then 305s wouldn't work either, I am assuming.

Accepted wisdom is that 315/75R16 will rub. I harp on this regularly--a suspension lift will not have any effect on what size tire fits. You can play with spacers to clear the UCA, but then you'll aggravate rubbing on the body. The only true 315/75R16 fit I'm aware of is accomplished via a body lift.
295/75R16 clears the UCA and the front body. The rears will harmlessly rub the inside wheel well at full articulated stuff.

I just called and changed my order to the the 285s. I ran that size on my 80 and they were good. As well, I would really only be running the 315s for looks, so not really worth all the issues that they can cause (worse gas mileage, overdrive struggling on hills, more weight, re-gearing, rubbing).

Glad you helped me come to me senses.

Jake

305/70 might.
I can speak first-hand on 295/75, and 285/75 is widely accepted. I don't know on the 305/70.
I'd search around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom