another tire post . bf goodrich ko2 v falken at3w on ice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
need some help before i pull the plug on either brand, the bf good rich ko2 or the falken at3w ,
both these 2 tires are at the top of my list, does anyone have any real world ice driving experience, other wise i may have to purchase a dedicated winter tire,
thank you

What are your driving factors?

If you want great value: Falkens.
If you want better wet, rain, and winter performance: Falkens

If you want name recognition as an benchmark tire: BFG
If you want perhaps a stronger more chip resistant compound: BFG

I voted with my money for the Falkens. Given the choice again after 35k miles, still Falkens. Value was not a factor in my decision, rather the wet, rain, and winter performance.

I can say for sure KO2’s are terrable on ice. A few winters ago we got hit with an early season (late September) unexpected winter storm. Had not switched to my Nokian winter tires yet. The KO2’s did ok on fresh snow in the AM but Almost couldn’t make it home in the evening on packed snow and ice. I’m in Alaska.

Don’t some KO2s have the three peaks designation and some don’t? Or is that just the long-wear version of the ko2?

Don’t some KO2s have the three peaks designation and some don’t? Or is that just the long-wear version of the ko2?
They have three peaks but that designation is fairly controversial in the tire debate world and encompass a huge range of winter performance. To get the three peak tires have to pass slightly better acceleration on medium packed snow, no criteria for breaking, ice, or any other winter conditions. They means pretty much slightly better than M+S. If you think about it they have a hard rubber compound which is not what you want in a winter tire.

Here is a good summary of the 3 peaks

I had KO2s with the snowflake. Horrible on ice. If you look at the requirements for the snowflake symbol, it isn't that hard to get.

They have three peaks but that designation is fairly controversial in the tire debate world and encompass a huge range of winter performance. To get the three peak tires have to pass slightly better acceleration on medium packed snow, no criteria for breaking, ice, or any other winter conditions. They means pretty much slightly better than M+S. If you think about it they have a hard rubber compound which is not what you want in a winter tire.

Here is a good summary of the 3 peaks

My advice to the OP?
-Listen to the guy from Alaska!
:hillbilly: -<Alaskans know.

Seriously though...while my KO2s (and KOs too) were great in new-fallen or packed snow...they were just plain **SCARY** on ice. I aaaaalmost Rear-ended a police car in -16 degree temps in Wyoming some years ago.

Not sure where you live. But out here (Idaho) a dedicated winter tire is necessary IMO. My KO2s in snow are ok. Ice...not good at all. Scary. We get out in winter. Like up into Montana and Wyoming for various reasons. A true winter tire makes all the difference in the world. The winter tires combined with slowing way down gets us home safe.

KO2 are horrible on ice and Falkens aren't great either. Falkens are pretty good in the snow, but I'm not sure any tire that isn't a dedicated winter tire will be good on ice.

Ive had fantastic luck on hard pack with Duratracs on my Raptor. No experience with Falkens and now really 2nd guessing the KO2's on the 200 I'm taking delivery of soon.

Define ice, hard pack snow or freezing rain? BC is a big place, lower mainland, island, interior etc. these make a difference. In the Seattle area I have LM type conditions and didn't think my KO2's on my 80 were great in hard pack and have not tried my new A/T3W in anything but dry pavement to make a determination. If I needed a true winter tire I would buy a set on spare wheels ( or buy a used set from a tundra).

If you really need performance on ice, get a dedicated snow tire like a Nokian.

+1 for dedicated winter tire if truly icy conditions are the issue. Most regular passenger tires and AT’s do an ok job on new and hard pack snow. In my experience KO2s do a great job in new/hard pack snow. Iced over snow and/or freezing rain? Not so much, but nothing other than a dedicated winter tire really does better than ok in those conditions. KO2s are at least as good, better I feel, than the Duratracks or Toyo’s I had on a Tacoma in general winter conditions. Next set I would like to try Falkens as some feel they outperform KO2s overall, but I would still bet a dedicated winter tire will be the only ticket for true ice on roads.

That is why I kept my OEM wheels. I am going to wait and see how the KO2's work this winter. If I am not happy I will get a second set of tires for winter.

Yes dedicated winter tires are the way to go. The 200’s are pretty good on winter roads for a large heavy truck. But it is still a large heavy truck and wants to slide, you can’t overcome physics. I’ve run Nokian Hakkapeleta’s for a long time. They are top winter performance and last a very long time. I get 5-8 winters out of a set. I have Hakka 7 on the LX, and Hakka 4,5, and 9 on our other vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom