Another testament to the toughness of an 80 when mine met a Buick yesterday. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey J-Bo,
Glad you're ok. This is one of the reasons that I recently bought my LC. Back in April, my wife got in an accident in our 4Runner and luckily her and the kids weren't hurt. When I went to replace the Runner, I started looking at LC's and I knew that this would be the vehicle that I want my wife and kids in. As far as being attached to a vehicle, I really hated to see the Runner get totalled, but, in the end, it is just a car that can be replaced.

gee, glad you are fine after the crash j-bo. if sentimental value of the 80 counts, you could always restore it close to what it was before the impact. it just means more love invested on the rig. good luck on whatever you decide to do with it. drive defensively mudders

I'm glad you were able to walk away from such a potentially life damaging accident. Our bumper held up way better than expected.

On a side note... at least I know that my welds hold up! :hillbilly:

I'm thinking a free replacement so you can use his old one for advertising!

Thank God you are fine. My friend just had an accident too in his 80, his ARB is bent, but he is fine. The cat involved was toast too!

Seen way too many of these type of threads for it to be a fluke. Putting my wife and kids in an 80 next chance I get.

Sorry

Glad you are ok, I drive mine for the protection it provides me. Here is a tip, but another one.

I don't know if this still holds true, but 13 yrs ago, I was hit head-on by a drunk driver who just happened to be uninsured, who then attempted hit and run only to have a police catch him a few blocks away...Anyhow that's a story for another day. I had full coverage insurance plus uninsured motorist which only covers up to $3500. Since my 92 toyota pickup was worth somewhere north of $6000 to the insurance company, so, they issued a check for $3500 plus I got to keep the truck to do as I like. Sold the truck to the highest bidding wrecking yard for a couple of thousand dollars and I was golden again. GL

Glad you're ok. That's what really matters.

Pity the dirtbag that hit you didn't have insurance. I'd be willing to bet that you can buy back the 80 from insurance pretty cheaply. Find a new one, buy back the old one, swap over what you want and part the rest. You'll probably end up ahead in the end.

Obviously you need another car, but don't just jump into a Camry. Your insurance should provide you with a rental for a certain number of days, take advantage of that policy while you shop for a new 80.

J-BO, I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. Just remember health is #1. I think one of the best parts of owning a cruiser such as yours is is actually doing the mods yourself which sounds like you have. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is a great feeling. Hopefully you can do it all over again and even improve on what you learned from the first build!

Good luck, Vince

Glad to hear that you walked away, that is truly most important. Sorry about the truck. I went through that earlier this year, not any fun. I bought another 80, and do not regret it one bit.

If you find any trucks in Raleigh, and need a local to check them out, let me know. I saw a clean looking one on autotrader, and have been looking for a good excuse to go look at it.

J.

Awesome, another 80 saves another mudder. I've been through a few cars since totalling mine, kept the wife in a LC though. I'm shopping for another car, also a long highway commute like you, I'm thinking 4Runner this time. I have an idea it'll be pretty close to the LC in safety, for lower cost.

Pics went down, can you repost them?

your pics arnt working man.
sorry to hear about the LC
glad your ok though

Hi, can you reupload the pictures?
Try using imgur.com

might take a while, The original poster hasn't been on MUD since December of last year and this thread started 8 years ago...

Last edited:
Zombie thread!

I can't find anything on it, but I remember reading, back in the day, that the director of the NTSA was asked what was the safest car on the road at the time and he responded that he had bought an 80 series Land Cruiser for his wife and kids to drive around in. That's saying something! Hope I never have to find out just how safe it is....

Nice! I made some research about the safety of it, found some pages like:

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER TD VX (1995-97) - Search Cars and Vehicles Ratings by RightCar NZ

It says that it only has 2 stars, but the page does not seems to have much information about the 80, so I don't believe on that.
On the other hand the 100 series has a 4 star rating:

Toyota Landcruiser ANCAP Safety Ratings | RightCar NZ

My HDJ80 does not have airbags, but for the time that I have had the car, I found that it has some tubing inside the doors and another one behind the firewall (behind dash). Seem like a very secure car, I honestly prefer a car with a chassis instead of a can with tires.
And yeah, I hope never have to crash my loved 80 as well.

My Metal Tech bumper was most impressive with how it held together and protected me and the 80.
i know this thread is about to turn 10 years old. but could we get the pictures reuploaded? am looking at crash safety in the J80 and would love to have the photographic evidence to go along with this pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom