Another "Speedometer not working thread" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can somebody help direct me to the ground wire for the VSS? My speedo/odo/cruise stopped working last week, no O/D light or engine codes. I pulled my cluster and everything looks perfect, pulled the VSS assembly, plastic gears are perfect, replaced VSS with a cheap one from ebay, still nothing.
When I fire up the truck the needle doesn't move or anything so I'm thinking it has to be an electrical issue, but I don't see any bad fuses so all I can think of now is to try to find a bad ground wire somewhere.

Forgot to mention, I am periodically getting the low idle issue as well, primarily after highway driving but it's fairly inconsistent. The rig did die at a traffic light the first night when the speedo went out; cranked up immediately though.
Thanks everyone

On my ‘93 with an electric VSS, there is a 3 wire plug on the VSS. yellow is switched 12v, brown is ground, and red-green, sends the signal to the dash

Thanks ak! I left the rig at home today, but if my harness matches I'll just ground from there.
Will report back for posterity

So I spliced into the harness at the VSS and grounded to the body directly from there, still nothing :bang:

What am I missing??

assuming you already test you speed sensor ( t-case end ) and check there is no issue with your speedo gear ( also t-case tail ) in my experience ( 2 speedo replacements at this point ) 90% it's your speedo at dash ..

How fitting...97 fzj80 with 270k miles. My Speedo will work sometimes, jump around all over the place, or stop working all together randomly. I’ll start by checking the speed sensor

Reviving this again because I'm still having the issue, more often than not these days. Swapped in another cluster and still nothing.
The weird bit that I haven't read anywhere else is that my gear indicator lights have an identical issue at identical times - ie, they only illuminate when the speedo works and vice versa. The "PWR" light always works, odo and cruise only work when speedo and gear indicator operate.
Wires behind the dash look good, is this a tranny wiring problem? Where can I look?
1995 with about 207k

Here's a post I wrote a few months back when my speedo went out. Take note of the thread I link to regarding the bad trace on the back of the speedometer itself. It seems to be a super common issue and not always easily spotted. It's actually possible the one you swapped in still has the same issue as it appears to be that common.

Reviving this again because I'm still having the issue, more often than not these days. Swapped in another cluster and still nothing.
The weird bit that I haven't read anywhere else is that my gear indicator lights have an identical issue at identical times - ie, they only illuminate when the speedo works and vice versa. The "PWR" light always works, odo and cruise only work when speedo and gear indicator operate.
Wires behind the dash look good, is this a tranny wiring problem? Where can I look?
1995 with about 207k
Any update on your issue? My 80 just started doing the same thing this weekend. Speedo stopped, odo, no cruise. Low idle and dying at a stop after freeway driving.

Any update on your issue? My 80 just started doing the same thing this weekend. Speedo stopped, odo, no cruise. Low idle and dying at a stop after freeway driving.
Yes! Mine was an under-dash wiring issue. A clip was damaged when replacing the A/C condenser and valve, causing it to fail to latch together and get a spotty connection. Zip-tied the clips together and I've been clear since.
Hope this helps!

Just wanted to share my broken speedo experience. I am in NO WAY an expert, electrician or pinball-wizard, this is just me doing me. Hope it can help others.
I just got my first 80 Land Cruiser, a 1994, lower end model, 234k. Amongst numerous issues, the Speedo and OD where not working. After reading a bunch of different sources this is what I did.
Tested VSS (on transfer case- remove unit, has 3 pins center is ground, input 12v, ground center, check remaining pin for voltage (will not be enough to light test light, need multimeter) when drive turns, should be 4x pulse per revolution. If no voltage try input on other side, center is ground. Check VSS wiring feed, has 3 wires in plug-yellow=power in, Brown=ground, red/grey tracer= signal. Turn key to power, ground center on plug, yellow wire should be "hot" with 12v. If all of the above checks out it's on to checking the signal wire running to the dash. (I believe this wire branches to also control cruise control). Disconnect battery. Pull dash panels, pull cluster. Signal wire at cluster plug will be red w/ green (its the 3rd in from one side). Place 12v source under car, ground battery to transfer case ground wire, (double check you have good ground), 12v+ plugs into red w/grey signal wire at VSS plug. Go to dash, ground multimeter, find brown cluster plug, Red w/ green (3rd in from one side) should be hot (12v). If all this checks out problem is likely the speedometer. Open cluster face, pull 4x screws on back, remove speedometer. BE CAREFULL WITH IT. Look at back for dark/burnt area along top. Mine and others where burnt out along top, seems there are 2 areas that a problematic. (see pictures). I used a brass brush to clean, took cellphone pic and zoomed in to see what was going on. One area was completely burned away, other was very thin. I soldered jumper wires across being careful to not bridge nearby contacts. When done gave it a quick spray of rattle can clear coat. Put it all back together and was SHOCKED to see I now had a fully functioning, smooth speedometer, working odometer, working cruise control . (The tree lights also seem to now work where as before it was super hit and miss). Time will tell how long this fix lasts but so far so good.

speedo 1.jpg

speedo 2.PNG

speedo jump.jpg

My issue ending up being the VSS in the TC, replaced and no more issues.

Just wanted to share my broken speedo experience. I am in NO WAY an expert, electrician or pinball-wizard, this is just me doing me. Hope it can help others.
I just got my first 80 Land Cruiser, a 1994, lower end model, 234k. Amongst numerous issues, the Speedo and OD where not working. After reading a bunch of different sources this is what I did.
Tested VSS (on transfer case- remove unit, has 3 pins center is ground, input 12v, ground center, check remaining pin for voltage (will not be enough to light test light, need multimeter) when drive turns, should be 4x pulse per revolution. If no voltage try input on other side, center is ground. Check VSS wiring feed, has 3 wires in plug-yellow=power in, Brown=ground, red/grey tracer= signal. Turn key to power, ground center on plug, yellow wire should be "hot" with 12v. If all of the above checks out it's on to checking the signal wire running to the dash. (I believe this wire branches to also control cruise control). Disconnect battery. Pull dash panels, pull cluster. Signal wire at cluster plug will be red w/ green (its the 3rd in from one side). Place 12v source under car, ground battery to transfer case ground wire, (double check you have good ground), 12v+ plugs into red w/grey signal wire at VSS plug. Go to dash, ground multimeter, find brown cluster plug, Red w/ green (3rd in from one side) should be hot (12v). If all this checks out problem is likely the speedometer. Open cluster face, pull 4x screws on back, remove speedometer. BE CAREFULL WITH IT. Look at back for dark/burnt area along top. Mine and others where burnt out along top, seems there are 2 areas that a problematic. (see pictures). I used a brass brush to clean, took cellphone pic and zoomed in to see what was going on. One area was completely burned away, other was very thin. I soldered jumper wires across being careful to not bridge nearby contacts. When done gave it a quick spray of rattle can clear coat. Put it all back together and was SHOCKED to see I now had a fully functioning, smooth speedometer, working odometer, working cruise control . (The tree lights also seem to now work where as before it was super hit and miss). Time will tell how long this fix lasts but so far so good.

View attachment 2553552

View attachment 2553553

View attachment 2553554
You are AWESOME for paying such clear, detailed, simple instructions! Wow! I spent the last 4 hours reading thru the Internet trying to figure out an action plan for my speedometer that suddenly stopped. So frosting and I was about to give up, then saw your post. Bless you!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom