another roof rack thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mrsjynx

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally able to get the ProSpeed rack on my 14 570 last weekend. Drove on a short trip about 3 hours minimal additional wind noise. Super low profile, looks great. Highly recommended. Install was easy and straight forward. 16 and up requires dropping the headliner though, however that will be the case with any rack for those model years.

7AD510DC-AECF-4E49-B98D-4B8D563C69B6.jpeg

7B68D6FD-13E2-4BE2-BDCE-C1730B0E524B.jpeg

1BDC73C0-C8C4-4C9E-8A0F-A34E536FC5F5.jpeg

E2ECC2EA-BE9F-4A31-BCBA-541A3E6DDAB1.jpeg

F131480A-0E44-4910-9AF1-C9C048F1B257.jpeg

Did you use the front dummy (w/ OEM) mount point as well?
Can you safely go through the auto carwash with this rack?
What's the difference with other racks already out there? any particular reason to choose this rack over others?

What are you planning to put up there in the future?

I transferred my Yakima megawarrior basket from my Honda Element to my '13 lx570 and will be going on my first camping trip in the LX in 2 weeks. I changed a few of my packing bins and the LX is much bigger than the element so I'm interested to see how things stack up.

The prospeed rack is definitely one of the racks I'm considering for the future though - pretty damn affordable

impressive load rating and using only 75% of the possible attachment points. Interesting!
It makes me think the inner feet positions are not as critical as I thought.
Thanks for posting up the detail.

Did you use the front dummy (w/ OEM) mount point as well?
Can you safely go through the auto carwash with this rack?
What's the difference with other racks already out there? any particular reason to choose this rack over others?
I don’t know about car washes. It uses the front mounts and back two. I choose this one for its low profile, light weight and looks.

What are you planning to put up there in the future?

I transferred my Yakima megawarrior basket from my Honda Element to my '13 lx570 and will be going on my first camping trip in the LX in 2 weeks. I changed a few of my packing bins and the LX is much bigger than the element so I'm interested to see how things stack up.

The prospeed rack is definitely one of the racks I'm considering for the future though - pretty damn affordable
It’s about 90% for looks but I would put an RTT up there. May also use it for utilitarian things like hauling wood or anything long and heavy I can’t get inside.

It’s about 90% for looks but I would put an RTT up there. May also use it for utilitarian things like hauling wood or anything long and heavy I can’t get inside.

Yeah I will admit I haven't looked into rtt toooooo much yet since I'm still recovering from buying all the gear for the car and camping lol.

But. I should probably look into RTT models and dimensions and the prospeedrack in terms of how much space the RTT will take and what spare rack space is leftover for any gear, rotopaxes or whatever

Yeah I will admit I haven't looked into rtt toooooo much yet since I'm still recovering from buying all the gear for the car and camping lol.

But. I should probably look into RTT models and dimensions and the prospeedrack in terms of how much space the RTT will take and what spare rack space is leftover for any gear, rotopaxes or whatever
We own two. An older Tepui and Ground Zero we bought last year. It’s the largest one they make. If I remember correctly its 84” but don’t hold me to that. Id put that on the rack with out hesitation. However it’s not low profile so if I put one on it, it would be a hard case low profile. But we have camp trailers for that so it would mostly be for cargo.

impressive load rating and using only 75% of the possible attachment points. Interesting!
It makes me think the inner feet positions are not as critical as I thought.
Thanks for posting up the detail.
Or maybe people just make stuff up. I think if I was worried about max weight, I’d want all 8 feet. Not so concerned about down force, but forces up that are all on the bolt holes, I’d want as many attached as possible.

Or maybe people just make stuff up. I think if I was worried about max weight, I’d want all 8 feet. Not so concerned about down force, but forces up that are all on the bolt holes, I’d want as many attached as possible.
As you said maybe "people just make stuff up". Part of the reason that I went with the ARB BASERACK. ARBs R&D department has the reputation of being thorough with their design and with their published information such as loading on their racks .

I installed the 51"x84 ARB BASERACK (#8 on chart) on my 2020 HE. It utilizes the four mounting points on each side. No cut out for sunroof, so the entire 84" can be utilized. By this ARB site chart: https://www.arb.com.au/roof-racks-carriers/roof-racks/baserack/sizes-guardrails/#:~:text=This means you can be,of load across three beams.
the carrying weight is 410lbs. The rack weighs 50.2 lbs.

View attachment 2952145
Looks great how’s the noise, I ordered the same last week, here in Oz the wind deflector is now part of kit after many customers had been disappointed by the noise generated by the cross bars.

Without the light bar it was almost as quiet as a stock rack with the air deflector. I noticed after I put the Slimline light bar ( mounted in front of the air deflector) on the noise level increase just a little. Since I never use a sunroof I opted for the 84 inch long model and glad I did.

This appears to be exactly what I’ve been looking for, but I am not too familiar with prospeed. That’s a me issue though.

Last edited:
As you said maybe "people just make stuff up". Part of the reason that I went with the ARB BASERACK. ARBs R&D department has the reputation of being thorough with their design and with their published information such as loading on their racks .

Yours is almost as quiet as stock? Did you end up with the lower profile mounting kit they came out with before realizing the US models have the shark fin? I just mounted up my 51x84 and was really surprised how noisy it is. It has a low rumble, not so much the typical whistle or wind noise most racks have. I figured it would be a smidge louder, like the HE factory basket was, but this is much worse IMO. It for sure renders the sunroof unusable unless you're at slow speeds.

I hate to be that guy that's complaining. I've loved all my arb stuff. Always well designed, good quality etc. I think the baserack is the best looking platform rack, it's very solid and I love the functionality of it. But I am disappointed in the noise, I'll probably be removing it after an upcoming moab trip and going back to the factory rack.

No, mine is the updated mounting kit with sir deflector and Slimline light bar. There is more wind noise in cross wind conditions, but up ,to 75-80mph I really don't notice any difference. I''v never noticed a low rumble, but I'll pay more attention when on the highway to listen for it. I don to use the sunroof, so that is a non issue for me.
Personally, I'm willing to accept added wind noise for this well built welded roof rack system.
Sorry, you're not happy with the BASERACK .

Last edited:
@7000ft thanks for the response. I guess I painted a pretty bad picture in my last post. I love quality and look of the rack, but definately noisier than I thought it would be. However, I don't know that there is a rack on the market I like better. There are some really popular ones these days I wouldn't put on my 200 even if they made no noise, ha ha.

To be honest, I'm been kinda rushed to get ready for a trip. I installed it - drove it 50 miles- returned home, set my RTT on it then realized the RTT brackets were not long enough for the width of the baserack rails. I can't drive it without the tent attached so it's been sitting for a few days while I fabbed up and painted new brackets. Maybe it was windy the day I test drove it, didn't pay attention to that. I also have a slimline light on the way.

to be fair, i just installed 35" mud tires on my 80 and immediately regretted it when I picked it up from the tire shop because of the road noise. But, I haven't thought about it since and love it. So I probably just need to drive it more and get used to the added noise. I had removed the HE basket so was used to hardly any wind noise. The Baserack is definately far more useful than the factory rack was. We'll see how the long road trip to Moab goes. Maybe I'll decide to leave it on. If not, I'll put it on the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom