Another Power steering Flush question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing a power stering Flush,

i disconnected the return hose, and start topping fluid, i was going to start the car and move the wheels from side to side. , but

Before i started the car, all the black fluid started to go out of the return hose, after a few refills the brand new red ATF started to come out..

Now i'm wondering, i don't even start the car nor i move the wheels, so you guys thinks there is still old liquid some where or gravity push the old liquid out, i pour a half of a quarter of ATF

What you guys think

The gear and pump still have old fluid in them. All you did was replace what "gravity" could displace.

Thanks brother
No Worries!

If you do that, fill it, drive it, then repeat it a few times, you will have swapped out the majority of the fluid and may be easier to control the mess doing it this way. Maybe do this four or five times with the drain/refill to get as much as you can, as the running it cycles the fluid with what's still in the system. It mixes it and won't get rid of ALL of it, but doing it this way will reduce the old stuff considerably.

This is the same as the transmission fluid exchange out of the trans cooler in front.

I would absolutely go through the normal process. I would also avoid trying to cycle the steering with the engine on. Find someone to help you do it with the engine off and it will be a much more controlled process. For what it's worth it took me about 3 quarts before what was coming out looked close to what was going in. It never came back out as clean, but by quart 3 I was at a point of diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom