Another introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi From another new 80 owner. I’m enjoying the forum. I’m probably spending too much time here! (I’m doing lots of searching) I bought the FSM so far I haven’t even changed the oil just kind of poked around under the hood checked the fluids etc. I have fixed the rear window since it fell off the regulator.

I bought the FZJ 80 last November with dreams of family trips to Baja, Fishing from our Kayaks, surfing, and camping. We have been down to Gerro Negro two years ago, we pet the whales etc. we called it the tour of Baja del norte as we drove down hwy 1 then couple of days at bahia de Los Angeles, a night at bahia de Gonzaga then we drove up hwy 5 thru Mexacali and home.

The old and the new. Rusty the Series III Land rover has been my daily driver for the last 5 years. The FZJ80 will be our new trip/camping vehicle the plan is to take more trips to Baja Kayaking camping etc. We love the Rusty the Land Rover, but I’m the only one in the family willing to spend more than 4 hours at a time riding in it.
valdez 2.jpg
The first trip has been to the Mojave Road over New Year’s weekend; with my son Max age 9. I know its not very challenging but a lot of fun for our first trip.

The land rover group I hang out with does it every year so it’s kind of a tradition. Max and I bailed out at mile 72 I was bummed he missed out on Afton Canyon but I figured better to end on a high note than force another two days of driving on the kid.

We will go back to Baja this spring probably to Mulege for more Kayaking and Fishing.

The FZJ 80 has a name we are calling it the “Valdez” as in Oil tanker. It doesn’t get worse MPG than the land rover it just holds twice as much and it’s black like a tanker…Grin

I’m not planning on doing much to the truck probably some 285 AT tires and fab up some sliders. Then start working on a camping trailer. I built the bumper and sliders on the Series III (love those straight lines)

Oh well, this is getting long.

Cheers,
Matt

PS I wanted a white 80 with factory lockers I bought a black one with open diffs. I wanted a small yellow Lab named buttercup. I got a 95lb chocolate lab named Mocha. I love my dog I’m sure I’ll love the 80.

PPS I know I can’t spell and I didn’t feel like getting out my guide book for the names from Baja.
valdez 2.jpg

Welcome, and thanks for the pics off of the get go. I always wanted an old 110, the four door ones.

welcome aboard. Nice rover too.

I 've got a guy across the street with a Rover (except it's red) that just sits there and I am just waiting for him to ask me to take it off his hands;)

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome:flipoff2:

rvrfish said:
I wanted a small yellow Lab named buttercup. I got a 95lb chocolate lab named Mocha. I love my dog I’m sure I’ll love the 80.

Welcome :flipoff2: A 95lb Lab could be named Mocha-Frappachino - I keep my 4 yr old female at 80 - lean, very dark chocolate.

rvrfish,

Where're you at?

Just trying to guess from the trees and the hills in your photo.

Welcome,

Curtis
Medford, OR

Hi and welcome to the forum. Very nice FZJ 80, and Rover. Shows you have great taste. This is the first post under my name as I have been hiding in NorCalSams closet, decided it was time to come out. This is addicting so beware. If you have computers at work you'll spend your lunch breaks on mud, then at home, then before bed, and some times just to check in during the middle of the night. Again, Welcome
Teresa

rvrfish said:
I’m not planning on doing much to the truck ...

ROTFLMAO.

Wanna bet? :D

-B-

Thanks, for the nice welcome,

I know what you mean about spending to much time here…

I’m a so cal boy Santa Barbara, but the liquid ambers throw people off.

I really don’t plan on doing many modifications to the truck. But I have down loaded George’s slider plans and I have Dan's phone number in my outlook folder…grin.

Best,
M

Welcome,

In addition to bumpers and sliders, seriously consider some new springs, the ride quality is like night and day, especially if you are going to be hauling camping gear.

welcome!

(check your PM)

Nice rig!

I doubt you would be able to leave it unmolested for too long. :D

Welcome aboard!

Mot

rvrfish,
You've already removed the wheel caps or painted them black. There's no going back now. Sell the golf clubs.

Brent, meet rvrfish. Rvrfish, meet Brent.

-B-

welcome... nice rover 88 ... Always liked those... but they are night and day to a 80 series.. your rear and your ears will thank you after 8 hrs in the truck..

... I second the springs.. it makes a big difference.. especially when the 3 kids and all their stuff are loaded in... I have the heavy kit and you can put half a pallet of pavers in the back and it only drops about 2 inches... stock it would be on the bump stops...

Good luck and enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom