Another addition to the family! + questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

serenity

Threads
Finally got my new FJ home this week.

I ordered it in september and it arrived on the 8th of december, meh thats cool the tsunami caused issues with supply so hey I'll just keep driving my 80. I finally get it on the 8th and I'm driving it home, doing 100kph on the highway when a big ol' bush turkey attempts to fly across the road in front of me but instead ends up taking out my windscreen and aerial. I pull over turn her off then hop out. I start spitting shards of glass out of my mouth and watching little drops of blood appear on my arms face and neck and think thank god I'm wearing sunglasses!

After I've calmed down a bit i call the dealership and they send out a tow-truck to collect me and my FJ. I leave my new car with them to get a new windscreen and get cleaned and head home (a rather long distance) and wait for my car to be fixed. The dealership rings and says it will be fixed in a week, then fixed by the the 28th and finally my car is trucked to my place on Wednesday.

So far I have driven a grand total of 180km in a month in it.

Plans are for an Xrox tube bullbar, 2" lift, better tires and some gear from springtailsolutions. It would be cool if anyone here could give me feedback on springtails products, I'm looking at getting a cargo barrier and the side rack kit.

Photos From when i got it home and after i hit the turkey:
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG

Wow, what a 1st day for your FJC. Glad to hear you came out ok and the dealer took care of you. Can't wait to see what all the Aus fabricators come up with for the FJC, its slowed down a bit in the US for new products for them...:beer:

Wow, what a 1st day for your FJC. Glad to hear you came out ok and the dealer took care of you. Can't wait to see what all the Aus fabricators come up with for the FJC, its slowed down a bit in the US for new products for them...:beer:

Well the xrox bar hit the market last year, it's about half the price of the ARB bar.

New XROX Bar for the FJ......... HOT OFF THE PRESS IN AUS!!

And after todays fuel consuming efforts i think i'll be looking at the Outback Accessories sub fuel tank to add a bit of range.

Last edited:
Think he was going 100 kilometers per hour....which would be 62mph

Nice new toy Serenity!! Where about's in QLD are you that you belted a turkey? Or are you talking about a plains turkey? I smashed one of those in my 200 Series, but it slid up and over the already split windscreen and was summarily disembowelled on the roofracks - bit of a mess!

I guess that upright windscreen design has it's design flaws too by the looks of it!! Unlucky first day......

EDIT: I see cane in the background of one of your photo's - you wouldn't be that far away....:)

Curious why you were doing 100 mph on a new motor. Maybe that's old school, just asking, not judging.

Yep 100kph not mph, I asked at the toyota dealership about having to vary speeds and what my top speed should be and it turns out that all new toyota engines come run in from the factory and can be driven at highway speeds. They just advise you not to drive aggressively for the first 1000km.

Nice new toy Serenity!! Where about's in QLD are you that you belted a turkey? Or are you talking about a plains turkey? I smashed one of those in my 200 Series, but it slid up and over the already split windscreen and was summarily disembowelled on the roofracks - bit of a mess!

I guess that upright windscreen design has it's design flaws too by the looks of it!! Unlucky first day......

EDIT: I see cane in the background of one of your photo's - you wouldn't be that far away....:)

Still a fair distance from you mate. It happened about 20km south of Mackay. I live in Gladstone at the moment though. Not sure exactly what type of bird it was. It was big and its now very dead.

Its a fun vehicle to drive and suits my needs perfectly at the moment, the biggest drama I have is the issues surrounding warranty and aftermarket accessories. Anything I bolt on ie a bullbar or suspension will void the warranty on any parts that relate to those components. This is new to me as this is the first new car i have ever owned.

On that note, have any of you guys state-side had many/any issues with breakdowns or damage caused by the fitment of a bullbar or 2" of lift? Keep in mind this FJ is mainly going to be used for camping and touring(expedition) work, as well as highway road-trips.

Here in the good Ole US, we are supposed to be covered by legislation called the Magnesson-Moss act. It is meant to protect the consumer from manufacturers who try to get out of covering warranty issues. It states that the accessory must show a direct cause and effect in order to decline a warranty claim.

Now, that doesn't stop individual dealerships or even regional representatives from doing so without showing cause. There are binding legal processes that one must go through to challenge the dealership but they can be made to be difficult and many consumers get frustrated and don't follow through.

I don't know of any who had issue with accessories like you mentioned, causing any warranty type issues. Well, if one doesn't include the whole fender apron rip/tear/bulging thing...:cheers:

Wasn't the bulging fender issue sorted out after the first few years? What was causing it?

Also isn't there someone from springtail solutions on this forum? Anyone know his username?

:cheers: Mtbcoach!

What type of riding do ya coach?

I've got a new question for anyone who notices this thread.

Are there any differences between the hubs and brakes setup between a 2010 model and 2011 model.
I'm keen to buy a set of 16" TRD rims but I will have to import them from the states and I want to be sure they will actually fit before I fork out my hard earned. All the websites I have checked say that the rims are for 2007-2010 year models but nothing specifically says that they wont fit a 2011 vehicle.

I've PM'd Cdan about prices so hopefully he can help out as Toyota Australia is useless.

Do you folks Down Under get different engine options for these things, or are they all 1GRs universally?

Nope, Toyota screwed us on options. We only get the v6 auto version locked with atrac. No steel rims and no trd gear either.

Would have been easy to drop the 4 banger diesel in as well as dual fuel tanks. Would have made it the best mid sized 4wd in the country if they had.

They were so lazy they didn't even bother changing the cruise control to metric, it changes in increments of 1.6kph.

Sad thing is I still love driving this cruiser, it's impressively capable even in stock form.

Now I've answered your question answer mine!

Cdan will tell you for sure but I'll speculate that you will be fine. Considering Toyota didn't change the cruise control for you Aussies, I'd be shocking if they changed the hub. Looking at Toyota of Dallas' website, they say they fit for the 2012's.

Hope this helps...

Mtbcoach your logic is flawless! :lol:

Just got a PM back from Cdan, unfortunately he cant ship outside the US so I will have to find a different source.

So here are my options:

Is there another Mud member who sells these parts internationally?

Anyone know anything about any good sites to deal with?
Such as this one:

Fj Cruiser Bronze Bead Lock Wheel 16"

Otherwise I think I'm down to buying from dealers using fleabay stores.

Finally got my new FJ home this week.

It would be cool if anyone here could give me feedback on springtails products, I'm looking at getting a cargo barrier and the side rack kit.

Photos From when i got it home and after i hit the turkey:

Wow! That Turkey really did a number on the windshield!! Probably for the best....maybe they replaced your windshield with an aftermarket one that will not chip or break instantly anyway. Mine was broken within 3 months (by a June bug none the less).

We do have a special website for Aussie purchases...wwwspringtailmarketplace.com. Now shipping via UPS direct to your door (included in the price).

Take a look over in the blue room for reviews of our products....you will find a million or so. We don't sell a lot of FJC stuff from this site yet.

Doc

Going in for a 2" OME suspension lift with airbag assist in the rear today! Underbody protection is ordered as well. The build up has begun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom