Another 100 newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a "new" 100 Series 3 months ago, it's a 98 with 49K miles, I have put 4k miles and everything works fine. I intend to use it as a daily driver with some moderate off roading and hopefully keep it for a long time.
I'm impressed by this forum and the level of involvement of it's members, some seem to know a thing or two about TLC's.
Couple of questions:
1) The tranny shimm from 3rd to OD that is mentioned in some of your postings, how serious is as a problem? Is something worth trying to fix before it actually mess the tranny? Is there some type of prevention and or symptoms to look for?
2) I have the Michelins Cross Terrain (almost new) which work very good on pavement ( dry,wet,light snow/ice) any experience in how they withstand some off road use, mostly dry rocky terrain.
3) Any advise on preventative maintenence to assure looooooong life ?

Congrats on the 100.

Question # 1 - No idea. Completely flush fluid and replace filter in tranny at 100k miles.

Question # 2 - Never owned cross terrains.

Question # 3 - Switch all diff fluids to synthetic when you get a chance.

I highly recommend the following mod. It is very expensive at the cost of ZERO dollars. Climb under the cruiser and disconnect the transfer case connection that automatically engages the center diff lock in low range. This is the connectoion on top of the transfer case. Use some eletrical tape to plug up the connections. This will allow you to manually control the center diff in low range which is sweet when manuevering this long 4x4. With the center diff OFF in low range you can turn as tight as you want too. Also helps when backing trailers in tight situations in low range.

Enjoy the LC. Buy the LC a Christmas present. Maybe some husky liners or slee sliders.

Regards,

uzj100

mtycruiser,
Welcome to Cruiser ownership and to ih8mud!

Your avatar looks like an 80 but you say you're a new 100 owner. Is that a 100?

-B-

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=8722;start=msg75071#msg75071 date=1071264086]
I highly recommend the following mod. It is very expensive at the cost of ZERO dollars. Climb under the cruiser and disconnect the transfer case connection that automatically engages the center diff lock in low range. This is the connectoion on top of the transfer case. Use some eletrical tape to plug up the connections. This will allow you to manually control the center diff in low range which is sweet when manuevering this long 4x4. With the center diff OFF in low range you can turn as tight as you want too. Also helps when backing trailers in tight situations in low range.
[/quote]

UZJ1OO
is there a write-up and pictures posted anywhere for this mod? I would really like to have an unlocked low-range for one or two of the private roads/driveways I travel.
thanks
LT
8)

UZJ100
Thanks for the advise, I will definitely do the diff lock mod, particularly liked the price.

Beowulf
Being new on the site, I don't know where the picture came from, I might have chosen it at some point while setting up my profile or something, and yes , mine is a 100

14Dec2003 (UTC -8)

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=8722;start=msg75071#msg75071 date=1071264086]
I highly recommend the following mod. It is very expensive at the cost of ZERO dollars. Climb under the cruiser and disconnect the transfer case connection that automatically engages the center diff lock in low range...
[/quote]

Beg your pardon sir, but this mod is *not* necessary. The US-spec UZJ-100 can already engage/disengage the center diff locker at will, either in 4Hi or 4Lo. This is only applicable for 1993 to 1997 80-series 'Cruisers.

-------------------------------------------------

I can send you my file "maintenance_checklist_uzj100.zip" if you want. Unzip this file, and you can use it as an anal-retentive *.doc checklist of things to do to keep your 'Cruiser reliable. Unfortunately, I only had time up to make up to 120,000mi. HTH!

Thanks Drexx. I learn something new everyday on this board.

uzj100

[quote author=drexx link=board=2;threadid=8722;start=msg75800#msg75800 date=1071473471]
Thanks Drexx, please send me the maintenance file to: sbauer@condumex.com

14Dec2003 (UTC -8)Beg your pardon sir, but this mod is *not* necessary. The US-spec UZJ-100 can already engage/disengage the center diff locker at will, either in 4Hi or 4Lo. This is only applicable for 1993 to 1997 80-series 'Cruisers.

-------------------------------------------------

I can send you my file "maintenance_checklist_uzj100.zip" if you want. Unzip this file, and you can use it as an anal-retentive *.doc checklist of things to do to keep your 'Cruiser reliable. Unfortunately, I only had time up to make up to 120,000mi. HTH!
[/quote]

mtycruiser,

You avatar looks exactly like Pristine .... about $5,000 and 2 years ago.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom