And so it begins ... again. (Heritage style) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time for a change.

IMG_4022.jpeg

The pic is from today. Bought it yesterday. Drove 103 miles to begin the break in process. And of course some of that had to be on dirt!

Why? Reset the clock by 5 years and 100K miles.

This time I plan to do a very modest "build" if you can call it that. Dealer is to transfer the Slee sliders, Gobi ladder and ARB twin compressor. I'll be moving the RedArc Controller, ARB roller drawer (I have already removed the left hand 3rd row seat) and a couple of other items. Tim Gamivitti has a new roof rack waiting for me in Colorado. (Road trip!)

No plans to do a lift or suspension upgrade this time. We have a lighter trailer (~750 lbs tongue weight vs the 950 we had previously) and we simply aren't doing any "challenging" off roading.

After the visit to Tim's shop I will begin exploring tire options. Not sure I need to go all the way to E-rated so it would be nice to find some middle ground. I would also like to know if 275/70R18s will work on the stock truck.

Update. In the first 400+ miles (and 2 days) here are my observations...
  • For whatever reason this truck "feels" much more responsive. Quicker off the start (though I am not accelerating fast at least for the first 1K). Some of this may be that it weighs 6200# whereas our "old" LC weighed 6600# (with the sliders, KO2s and lift - I had already removed and sold the Gobi rack and one of the two cargo drawers.). The new one does not yet have the Slee sliders, Gobi ladder or cargo drawer. That all happens on Thursday.
  • 18 MPG! The best I was doing on the prior 2016 model was maybe 15 but usually in the mid-14s.
  • Everything "feels" more solid. From switches and levers to doors. This is probably because everything is new and tight.
  • The Nav screen, being a different technology, looks like it maybe has more resolution?
  • And on the topic of the Nav system, this one actually has our home address and neighborhood!
  • Though I didn't think the powered lift gate and soft close tailgate would be of interest, I actually am growing accustomed to it and in many cases I like it. (It just goes up slower than I would like sometimes. But I can turn it off.)
  • I'm mixed on the lack of a cool box. We did use it. So I need to find a good "keep cool" solution that, preferably, would fit in the cavernous storage space that replaced the cool box. That said, we like the larger, flat storage area on the top of the console. And as for the pull out storage tray, we'll need to find a way to organize it.
  • Auto-folding side mirrors is nice.
  • First time I have had an all black interior. I actually like it. And the "brown" threading in the seams is a nice touch. That said, I may be looking for something to cover the rear seat as we mostly use it for holding cargo and stuff.
  • And one odd thing. It seems that the headrests on this model are larger than they were on my 2016. I have Blue Ridge Offroad headrest wraps with velcro around the back. On my 2016 they had room to spare. On the 2021 they barely fit.

Almost to 500 miles so I'll be able to tow a trailer tomorrow. ;). As for trailer towing, I am going to see how we do without a suspension upgrade to stiffer springs and, at least initially, without E-rated tires. With our previous LC we had a trailer with a 950# tongue weight. Our new trailer's tongue weight is only 700-725 and it is 3' shorter. So we'll see how that works. I just need to adjust the stinger on the ProPride hitch to be 2" higher to offset the fact that the new LC is 2" lower (or thereabouts).

Last edited:
Time for a change.

View attachment 2656478

The pic is from today. Bought it yesterday. Drove 103 miles to begin the break in process. And of course some of that had to be on dirt!

Why? Reset the clock by 5 years and 100K miles.

This time I plan to do a very modest "build" if you can call it that. Dealer is to transfer the Slee sliders, Gobi ladder and ARB twin compressor. I'll be moving the RedArc Controller, ARB roller drawer (I have already removed the left hand 3rd row seat) and a couple of other items. Tim Gamivitti has a new roof rack waiting for me in Colorado. (Road trip!)

No plans to do a lift or suspension upgrade this time. We have a lighter trailer (~750 lbs tongue weight vs the 950 we had previously) and we simply aren't doing any "challenging" off roading.

After the visit to Tim's shop I will begin exploring tire options. Not sure I need to go all the way to E-rated so it would be nice to find some middle ground. I would also like to know if 275/70R18s will work on the stock truck.
Congrats Dan!

Great start to the story of a landcruiser...

Thanks. I should have said that I love the KO2s I have used for the past few years. But those were 285/65R18s. Though I will wait a couple months before investigating in depth I will be curious if there are comparable D-rated tires possibly in a 275/70R18. My plan was to go to the 275/70R18E tires on my old rig. I am just wondering if I can get a similar tire size and back off a bit on the stiffness and load capacity for the sake of slightly more comfort and slightly better gas mileage.

I ht
Thanks. I should have said that I love the KO2s I have used for the past few years. But those were 285/65R18s. Though I will wait a couple months before investigating in depth I will be curious if there are comparable D-rated tires possibly in a 275/70R18. My plan was to go to the 275/70R18E tires on my old rig. I am just wondering if I can get a similar tire size and back off a bit on the stiffness and load capacity for the sake of slightly more comfort and slightly better gas mileage.
I believe everything is E rated in that size.. It'll look good on the rig at least.

Hey Dan,

How are you my friend? I did not realize you got yourself a new LC200 HE - awesome news! :) I just turned to 19,000 miles on my 2018 LC200 and I am still loving it. I will likely keep it forever, or as much as I can. I will definitely need to subsribe to this thread. You ever miss your LR4???? :)

Let's keep in touch. I hope you and the family are safe and doing well.

Regards, David

Hey, David, good to hear from you! Yeah, trading in my 2016 for a 2021 was quite literally a spur of the moment thing. I loved the 2016. But it had nearly 5 years and just over 100K on it. Since they aren’t continuing the 200 series I essentially reset the clock by 5 years and 100K. As for the LR4, there are certainly times when I miss the some aspects of it. Mostly the cargo area. I even though, in a moment of insanity, that when my 2016 LC died I could get a Defender. Then I read about the, not surprising, issues with the Defender. Forget that! So seeing the 2021 LC in the showroom while I was getting my 2016 serviced was perfect timing.

Glad to hear you are doing OK and loving your LC!

Hey, David, good to hear from you! Yeah, trading in my 2016 for a 2021 was quite literally a spur of the moment thing. I loved the 2016. But it had nearly 5 years and just over 100K on it. Since they aren’t continuing the 200 series I essentially reset the clock by 5 years and 100K. As for the LR4, there are certainly times when I miss the some aspects of it. Mostly the cargo area. I even though, in a moment of insanity, that when my 2016 LC died I could get a Defender. Then I read about the, not surprising, issues with the Defender. Forget that! So seeing the 2021 LC in the showroom while I was getting my 2016 serviced was perfect timing.

Glad to hear you are doing OK and loving your LC!

Hello Dan,

Congratulations! I think that was a great idea and gives you a new LC200 before they will stop being produced in the US or potentially moves toward only available in the LX platform. I have not read much about the LC300, but I am not sure it will be available in the US market? Even if it is, I am not sure I would be into it.

I really like the Heritage Edition, but I wanted the terra interior and did not really need some of the extras. I am glad I got a 2018, as it has some of the updates since 2016, so I see myself keeping this vehicle for hopefully 10+ years. I do like the darker trim of the Heritage Edition, but trading in my paid-off 2018 model with just 19,000 did not make sense at all when I thought about it early this year (2021). I still have not done much to my LC200. I have the BF Goodrich AT KO2s, which I love, but that's the only modification. Oh, I did install a light on the back tailgate (in that panel to access the electric tailgate) - there is a guy here from Australia that sells the insert and it's amazing. You can turn it off and on easily to provide additional light in the back cargo area. If you are camping, you may want something better, but this works great for everyday use.

As you remember, my LR4 was pretty built up, so I keep getting tempting to start building up the LC200, but I just have not done anything yet (not yet needed). I still get to see photos of my old LR4 and hear how it's doing since my friend in Florida bought it a couple years ago. Sometimes I wished I kept it, just to have it, but I wanted to simplify my life. :)
Let's keep in touch my friend!!!

Regards, David

Hey, David, I might be interested in the light in the tailgate. I use my tailgate a lot and one of my complaints about the cargo area is that it is very dark. Was it a difficult install?

Yes, your LR4 was very built up.

As for your 2018, I think the Terra interior looks great. But in this last minute decision to buy a 2021 HE off the floor I didn't consider color (or even looks for that matter). I just wanted to extend my time with a 200 series another 5 years and 100K. I won't do much to it. No lift planned. Sliders, on board air, ladder, ARB drawer and Redarc brake controller from my old one. Gammiviti roof rack that I ordered for the old one will now go on this one. Likely larger tires. Maybe, just maybe I will try out those Equipt seat covers. For the past 5 years I have been using towels that have a hole in them so they slide over the headrest. But they have a British design on them due to my ordering them for the LR4. They are getting pretty warn out. And we very rarely have people in the back seat. Just thinking about it.

Hey, David, I might be interested in the light in the tailgate. I use my tailgate a lot and one of my complaints about the cargo area is that it is very dark. Was it a difficult install?

As for your 2018, I think the Terra interior looks great. But in this last minute decision to buy a 2021 HE off the floor I didn't consider color (or even looks for that matter). I just wanted to extend my time with a 200 series another 5 years and 100K. I won't do much to it. No lift planned. Sliders, on board air, ladder, ARB drawer and Redarc brake controller from my old one. Gammiviti roof rack that I ordered for the old one will now go on this one. Likely larger tires. Maybe, just maybe I will try out those Equipt seat covers. For the past 5 years I have been using towels that have a hole in them so they slide over the headrest. But they have a British design on them due to my ordering them for the LR4. They are getting pretty warn out. And we very rarely have people in the back seat. Just thinking about it.
I've been putting this in my LCs for a long time. I transport my dogs, golf clubs, guns more in the back seat to than the cargo area where my ABR drawers are.
Very protective for the fine leather seats and the dogs don't end up on the floor when I break.
Click: BARKSBAR Original Waterproof Car Seat Cover, Standard - Chewy.com - https://www.chewy.com/barksbar-original-waterproof-car-seat/dp/181115

The tailgate light was super easy to install, you just need to order it and its plug in play. The hardest part is getting your hand inside the hole, but there are some tips and tricks on this thread:

You can also find the ordering information there hopefully. Let me know if you have any questions.

I do not blame you at all for switching to a 2021 model, especially for the use it will gate and having it long term.

I had these sheepskin seat covers in my LR4 that I LOVED, but I have not got new seat covers for the LC200. I do have a rear seat cover from Weathertech (I think) and it works great just to store things in the back seat during trips back up to Massachusetts. I can't use the cargo area because my greyhound stays back there. She has a big fluffy bed that takes up the entire cargo area and it works perfectly. :) I am considering getting seat covers in the future, so I really love the Equipt ones, though I will say the really high-quality sheepskin were so nice in my LR4. I have to say the leather in the LC200 has stood up really nice. I did have it treated by a place that does ceramic coatings and thath as really helped. I also clean and condition it (it takes 10 minutes) about once a month. So, it looks brand new! :) Then again, I am pretty easy on my vehicles.

You mentioned the Defender before, well I got a chance to drive it and spend some time in it a couple weeks ago since I just leased one for my mom! She had a 2018 Discovery and was very happy to turn in that lease. She liked it, but the wheels were way too big (22" rims - so stupid) and it had a lot of problems. She brought it for service and fell in LOVE with the new Defender. So, we ended up getting one. I did want her to look at other options (especially the Lexus GX), but she really liked the Defender. It is leased, so I don't care, but I would NEVER buy one - way too many issues!!! They got it last month and she has been very happy with it. It's white, 19" wheels, the optional off-road tires, exterior protection package all in black, with black interior. It's really a nice looking vehicle and cool use of utilitarian space, but I would never ever buy another Land Rover product myself. Leasing one for my mom is fine, but I just can't handle the quirks of reliability issues. My mom's Discovery was so annoying and toward the end it had this weird supercharged lag (like an old turbo) that was actually pretty crazy.

Keep me posted - can't wait to see more photos!!!!!!

Regards, David

Congrats on the upgrade!

I had 275/70r18s on my stock vehicle for a few days before I threw on the 2700/2722 OME lift this week. They worked fantastic on a stock rig. I had a little bit of rubbing on the KDSS arm on driver's side, no visible rubbing anywhere else. After lifting and adjusting caster forward prior to fine-tuning my alignment I had a rub on the driver's side on that weird little square tab that hangs down off of the front wheel well plastic.

I'll get you some pics.

Congrats! How are you getting 18mpg!? Im getting 13-14 city and highway.
Got to be the tires. I have seen +17mpgs with all season highway Nokian tires (LT275/70r18) when I kept speeds below 70mph on the highway. This is even with 400lbs+ of armor. I was shocked to see this as I never get above 14 mpgs when I have my all Off road tires and wheels on.

Quick update (learnings) on the 2021 LC. (I believe these may be true with the 2018+).
- My Gobi ladder from the 2016 (manual lift gate) does not work on the 2021 (automatic lift gate). Gobi has a different model for the latter. Anyone want to buy a Gobi ladder that works on the manual liftgate?
- The headrests are different on our new 2021. Not sure when this happened. But they are a bit larger and they tilt. I found out they are larger because I found that my Blue Ridge Overland Gear headrest wraps don't quite fit the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom