An introduction, and question about early 200 series electronics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello from Flagstaff! This is my first post on this forum, and I thought I would introduce myself. I've been deep in the BMW world for quite awhile (and active on the forums), but have found that my offroad vehicle, a 2007 X3, while moderately capable, is lacking for doing serious back country trekking. I've had my eye on the 200 series platform for quite awhile, and decided it is time to jump in.

A question I have for the group revolves around the level of robustness of the electronics on these vehicles. The X3, along with the e39 M5 I maintain are relatively simple from that standpoint, even if they are german. I also maintain an 07 5 series, and that one is a nightmare. I'm looking at lower mileage LX570s, 08-11 or so (mostly for price point). How robust are the electronics on these? I've done a bit of searching and haven't seen a whole lot of common issues (other than the water pump, driveshaft thunk, and apparently radiators on the 08s...not sure about the details on that one), and really none on the electronics.

Thanks in advance for any input, and I look forward to being a contributing member on here!

Ed

I'm in phoenix, with an 08 pushing 225k miles.

The only electrical issues I've had are the tire pressure sensors dying, and just last week the dash started acting up.

Not bad for 12 yrs and well over 200k miles. These truck are built to last. The other issues I've had: radiator, starter, steering rack, and routine maintenance. Truck is smooth, doors are tight, no rattles or squeaks. Great vehicle and extremely capable dont let the nylander looks fool you.
IMG_20181124_234914_174.jpg

I'm in phoenix, with an 08 pushing 225k miles.

The only electrical issues I've had are the tire pressure sensors dying, and just last week the dash started acting up.

Not bad for 12 yrs and well over 200k miles. These truck are built to last. The other issues I've had: radiator, starter, steering rack, and routine maintenance. Truck is smooth, doors are tight, no rattles or squeaks. Great vehicle and extremely capable dont let the nylander looks fool you. View attachment 2362981

What was the deal with your steering rack?

Steering started having some play in the wheel, then a leak at the steering shaft.
Replaced it. Not super technical, just a lot of work. Had to remove front diff to get rack out.
20200322_154455.jpg
20200322_154506.jpg

I have a '13 with about 94k on the clock. So far electrical has been fine. The main things that seem to come up with these are the radiator (pre-2016 facelift), water pump and alternator all between 100k-125k miles. I have yet to see any indication that there are any common electrical gremlins. This is something I am hyper-sensitive to after owning a full-sized Range Rover. The only thing that would give me pause on the LX is the AHC suspension, but even that pause is unfounded as AHC has proven to be pretty bullet-proof. After a living hell of dealing with the Range Rover air suspension system, any kind of height control system is concerning to me, despite the fact that hydraulic systems are well proven to be a completely different ballgame from air systems. Everything I have read on here indicates that AHC is just as reliable as traditional suspension. All that to say, the 200 series, in either form, seems to be the most reliable vehicle on the road (and even more so off).

I have a '13 with about 94k on the clock. So far electrical has been fine. The main things that seem to come up with these are the radiator (pre-2016 facelift), water pump and alternator all between 100k-125k miles. I have yet to see any indication that there are any common electrical gremlins. This is something I am hyper-sensitive to after owning a full-sized Range Rover. The only thing that would give me pause on the LX is the AHC suspension, but even that pause is unfounded as AHC has proven to be pretty bullet-proof. After a living hell of dealing with the Range Rover air suspension system, any kind of height control system is concerning to me, despite the fact that hydraulic systems are well proven to be a completely different ballgame from air systems. Everything I have read on here indicates that AHC is just as reliable as traditional suspension. All that to say, the 200 series, in either form, seems to be the most reliable vehicle on the road (and even more so off).

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm currently running down an air suspension issue on my wagon, so you really got to the heart of my concerns. :)

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm currently running down an air suspension issue on my wagon, so you really got to the heart of my concerns. :)

I won't go near an air suspension ever again. There is a reason I drive a 200 series now, and not a Range Rover. The main reason I chose the LC over the LX was the ease of upgrading the suspension to a more robust lifted coil-over. You can achieve a lift with AHC via a sensor adjustment and folks seem happy with it. I do think the LX rides amazingly well and if I wasn't shooting for trail capability above road manners, I would have bought the LX. You won't really be giving up much in the way of off-road capability in the LX, more in ease of upgrading the suspension. If that's not a priority, then I'd say go for it. My past frustrations caused me to ONLY consider a 200 series, and I couldn't be happier.

I won't go near an air suspension ever again. There is a reason I drive a 200 series now, and not a Range Rover. The main reason I chose the LC over the LX was the ease of upgrading the suspension to a more robust lifted coil-over. You can achieve a lift with AHC via a sensor adjustment and folks seem happy with it. I do think the LX rides amazingly well and if I wasn't shooting for trail capability above road manners, I would have bought the LX. You won't really be giving up much in the way of off-road capability in the LX, more in ease of upgrading the suspension. If that's not a priority, then I'd say go for it. My past frustrations caused me to ONLY consider a 200 series, and I couldn't be happier.

I like to go camping out in the middle of nowhere in Northern AZ (away from the places most of the Phoenecians inhabit when they visit), and I gather my own firewood. So, going offroad across forest to collect firewood, and drive on the gnarly forest roads up here, is about the limit of what I want to accomplish. My x3 is at the edge of its operational envelope with that I do (especially since its a manual...which I love...but not at this level), hence my move in this direction.

I like to go camping out in the middle of nowhere in Northern AZ (away from the places most of the Phoenecians inhabit when they visit), and I gather my own firewood. So, going offroad across forest to collect firewood, and drive on the gnarly forest roads up here, is about the limit of what I want to accomplish. My x3 is at the edge of its operational envelope with that I do (especially since its a manual...which I love...but not at this level), hence my move in this direction.

The LX will handle all of that and a lot more. The only thing to be careful about is approach angle. I think I have seen some LX variants that have a low spoiler on the front that could give you issues, but they seem to be fairly rare option. I'm sure one of the LX experts on here can offer more insight on that. Also check out the LX pictures thread and you will see some cool photos of what the LX is capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom