American car guy gets a '71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seats up front FINALLY got the new vinyl.
T7i61Pt.jpg

wJNtZEG.jpg

Happy with the results and my "beater" 40 is starting to get a little classy.

Now, after fighting with (and shearing off) the rusted 7/16 bolts holding the ConFerr tool box, finally made room for my new functional eye candy up front:

dr6XYHa.jpg

Dead lifting 140lbs of winch and bumper is fun, but I imagine it was WAY easier than trying to mock a 8274 on an already mounted bumper...
Si4eprB.jpg

lkosEd1.jpg

Now I just need to finish bolting it up, wire it, get my new rims mounted (probably this weekend) and then I can finally get to where I should have STARTED this whole operation, and that is replacing the intake manifold gasket and getting it to run correctly so I can finally begin to drive it on the road!

Last edited:
Max,

That rig is far from beater at least by Midwest, Northern, or east coast standards! I take it they don't salt the roads in Sonoma County? And that winch is top of the line but you probably knew that.

Depending on what you plan to do with her, if any off-roading is in your plans, you should think twice or three times before you replace that Toyota F motor with a small block Chevy. You'd have hard time getting that V8 to put out 90% of its peak torque at around 1000 rpm or less!

Welcome to Mud!

Pete

Wheels are in and on!
I am thrilled with the stance and feel of the aluminum rims (Thanks Eric) The stock rims I ALMOST bought are great, but they just didn't feel right for the aged rugged rig I am going for. These aluminum Centerline rims and 10.5" mud tires do alot better job at getting that aggressive look I am after without going over the top.

sOnH9pn.jpg

3FkbrTK.jpg

Very nice truck, goodluck with the manifold. Am digging the black bezel.

Very nice truck, goodluck with the manifold. Am digging the black bezel.
Thanks!
When I was younger I was much more of a "it has to be perfect" kind of guy, now I am much more accepting (and even pleased with) the aged look (hate the word Patina but I guess it applies)

With a gray body though, white just does not flow. Black on gray is the way to go. Glad whoever painted this thing years ago went with the color combo. Also helps tie the interior in with the exterior.

In an era of SOO many pristine restored classic cars, its far more interesting for me to read the story's of a cars past by looking at aging on the bodywork.

looking a little deeper into the Warn 8274 and I noticed that this one seems to be in very original shape. It also was odd to me that it actually had safety instructions in four different languages, including what I assume is Japanese.

Since I haven't seen this decal before on a solenoid cover I thought I would share.
kC8Z1K8.jpg
That sticker is awesome! @SMG is this something you could reproduce?

Took it for a test drive on the new rubber. WAY less twitchy/drifty down the road than the chucked bias plies on the old rims. Small list of things added to the intake seal needing repair, but pleased with the progress so far...

0sc62O5.jpg

lD3EMoy.jpg

9brshLW.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom