Am I on drugs (pt.2) mass hysteria and confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after part one of this, knowledge and wisdom dispensed and additional thought beverages consumed....I was at the point where the 5.0 ford was going to get hooked up to the 84 mini truck 5 sp tranny and get put into the bull pen for the FJ40. Others had very good suggestions for improving fuel mileage etc..., but recall I currently own all these bits (5.0 ford) and a complete 84 sr5 4x4 pu). Much of the discussion focused on the fact the the little 22R power plant would be gutless having to slog around the additional mass of the FJ. I searched about and found that the 22R could be greatly improved in HP however, torque improvements were not quite as dramatic (the CI analogy here).

So I have to ask what does the 73 FJ40 weigh and what does the 84 mini truck weigh ?? Well, from the links section here into offroad.com wherein it is written an F motor Hard top weighs....3470 lbs.. ??? Hmmmm...finding out the weight of my truck online was a little more difficult, fortunately one fellow put his on a scale (albiet an 85) at 3750 lbs. Checked my owners manual and drivers door tag to see if I could confirm the 3750. GVWR is 4800 lbs. Owners manual says max cargo capacity 1100 lb. Subtracting b from a puts the truck at 3700 lbs. :eek:

Can this be correct ??? Is the FJ reallythat light ??? If so, well doesn't this change what gets put on the engine stand ?

Re: Am I on drugs (pt.2) mass hysteria and confusi

honestly, not sure what a stock FJ40 might weigh...mine tipped the scales in August at 4400#....fully trail ready, full of fuel, spare tire, etc.

With my current projects, I'm hoping to drop that to 4000# even.

3470 sounds light, but with stock tires and no cage (that year didn't have one) it's quite possible.

Another site puts the FJ at 3263 lbs. , so it appears it is actually lighter than my mini truck ergo all who said it was way heavier etc...well it pays to do your homework. The path is clear ...I'm planning on doing at moderate bit of breathing on the 22R and in it will go with the 5sp. :D

Another site puts the FJ at 3263 lbs.
I don't know what site this is, but whoever made that statement is way off base in terms of a stock FJ40. The weight of a stock 40 is in excess of 4500 lbs. As Woody notes, with work it can be reduced to 4000, Reduction beyond that requires removal of the rear tub and lots of tubing. I see no way to get a decent FJ40 trail rig as light as 3200 lbs.

my haynes manual says something like 4880....i dont have it right in front of me, but i know its something real close to that.

Curb Weight 3263 lbs.
According to TLC

http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/SpecPages/fj40_specs.htm

Hey my great idea Has always has been to use a Toyota Supra 2.8L 6cyl. They come cheep in rusty Supra’s and run forever! (bolt up to the 84+ 5speed trany Too!) :D

Thumper.

My "stock" '78 FJ40 tips the scales at 3,860lbs.

http://home.attbi.com/~fj40.1978/fj40story.htm

I say "stock" because it has been mostly desmogged (no smog pump & emission lines), and it was running aftermarket 15"x8" rims with 245/75R15 tires at the time it hit the scales.

Thumper,

That is indeed a very nice twist...I'll keep it in mind on trips to the bone yard. Offhand, do you know the HP and torque ratings on the Supra plant ?

Ya!
1985-1986 are the best years to get (5M-GE)
161 HP@5200RPM Torque 169@4400 RPM

1984 - (5M-GE) 160 HP@5600RPM Torque 163@4400 RPM
1983 - (5M-GE) 150 HP@5200RPM Torque 159@4400 RPM
There is also the newer 3L 7M-GE OR 7M-GTE (Turbo)
on 1986.5 - 1992 Supras But they cost more...

In non-UAS (and Canada) Models they have a 6M-GE 3L
That has more torque, but you would have to order this from one of thoes engine importers...

here is a good site for this swap into a 4-runner:
http://4x4.4t.com/4runner/7mswap.htm
Also:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/supra/

Thumper.

Another site puts the FJ at 3263 lbs.
I don't know what site this is, but whoever made that statement is way off base in terms of a stock FJ40. The weight of a stock 40 is in excess of 4500 lbs. As Woody notes, with work it can be reduced to 4000, Reduction beyond that requires removal of the rear tub and lots of tubing. I see no way to get a decent FJ40 trail rig as light as 3200 lbs.

stock they weigh in between 4500 and 4800 down here too!!! They are HEAVY pigs, i cant beleive nolens weighs in at 4700 (according to one of his posts) although its possible, it just seems heavier than that to me!
I am aiming for an estimated weight of 3300 (1500kgs) for my FJ45 trail rig, this is trail/comp only!
It will have an alloy V8 (block and heads) weighing in at 149 kilos, T18 gearbox, LT430 alloy case, cruiser axles with ARBs and 42s nearly no frame or tub, plenty of tube.... i think it is doable!

I think alot of you guys coming up with 4800 pound numbers are looking at the GVWR, this is the maximum recommended weight FULLY LOADED with passengers and gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom