Am I crazy to buy a 2020 Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dreamed of owning one of these and drive a lot and wanted the ability of this to handle our snow and some offloading though I will likely not do a lot with it. I love the style and comfort of the LC. I see a lot of mixed press badmouthing it but I think maybe its always been that way. I also love the riding position and floaty ride of it. I am really asking if there is anything to consider for the 2020 model or regrets you may have had? Thanks in advance

If you have the budget....do it! We need more people who can afford to buy new. Just buy it at the right price and you can't go wrong. Talk to @Eric Sarjeant, I don't know him personally, but he seems like an honest salesperson and contributes a lot to this community. If I had the cash sitting around, I wouldn't hesitate.

Yes !

:cheers:

See if the dealer will let you keep it for 3-4 hours or keep it overnight... That's what the dealer did with me with my LC... My wife and I drove it around in a rain storm for a couple of hours (2-3) brought it back to the dealer and they told me to keep it until later the next day and return it after work... SOLD... I think you already want one just give the LC a couple of hours to sell itself...

We grew up on Mercedes (My Dad was driving them in the 1950's in Panama & USA through 2006 , then the non-stop electrical jokes sent us to Lexus) as a kid remembering, the Merc dealer would give my Dad the dealership gas card (SOHIO) and say "fill it up" and don't bring it back with less than a half tank. The Merc's in those days sold themselves... So does the LC if you know what it is... It is not a 12 month lease Range Rover Autobio-flash "Look at me!!!" The RR's are beautiful and fun to drive, don't get me wrong... BUT...

I don't think you can go wrong with this ultimate undercover stealth luxury SUV that most people confuse with a Highlander, It 's the best "don't give me a second look" vehicle in our fleet.

Enjoy!!!

If you have no problem with the MPG then go for it.

See if the dealer will let you keep it for 3-4 hours or keep it overnight... That's what the dealer did with me with my LC... My wife and I drove it around in a rain storm for a couple of hours (2-3) brought it back to the dealer and they told me to keep it until later the next day and return it after work... SOLD... I think you already want one just give the LC a couple of hours to sell itself...

We grew up on Mercedes (My Dad was driving them in the 1950's in Panama & USA through 2006 , then the non-stop electrical jokes sent us to Lexus) as a kid remembering, the Merc dealer would give my Dad the dealership gas card (SOHIO) and say "fill it up" and don't bring it back with less than a half tank. The Merc's in those days sold themselves... So does the LC if you know what it is... It is not a 12 month lease Range Rover Autobio-flash "Look at me!!!" The RR's are beautiful and fun to drive, don't get me wrong... BUT...

I don't think you can go wrong with this ultimate undercover stealth luxury SUV that most people confuse with a Highlander, It 's the best "don't give me a second look" vehicle in our fleet.

Enjoy!!!
The 2008s may have looked like Highlanders but no one is confusing a 2016+ with a Highlander.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you very much this info is really helpful! I am probably going to do it this Saturday morning. I couldn't agree more about Mercedes I recently had one and wished I could drive it off a cliff. The endless beeps, annoyances, voice recognition and endless features no one wants. I am nervous due to the expense and the mpg is bad but its really the same as other luxury vehicles that use premium. Sadly I drive a lot but that's part of the reason for this to enjoy a great ride with the features I really like which this has all of them.

Thank you very much this info is really helpful! I am probably going to do it this Saturday morning. I couldn't agree more about Mercedes I recently had one and wished I could drive it off a cliff. The endless beeps, annoyances, voice recognition and endless features no one wants. I am nervous due to the expense and the mpg is bad but its really the same as other luxury vehicles that use premium. Sadly I drive a lot but that's part of the reason for this to enjoy a great ride with the features I really like which this has all of them.
Yeah, I hear you... I have to drive around 46 miles to work each day... 23 miles up and back... I get 16+/- mpg if I behave... If I had a Merc GLS xxx and got say 22 mpg I would be saving a gallon of gas a day $2.80, maybe, call $3.00 a day... That's $15.00 a week extra to drive what you want... And as you point out, it's regular gas too... So the overall additional expense involved is roughly 1% ($800 year) of the original capital outlay ($80,000)… Not bad for a luxury vehicle...

Enjoy!!!

They are expensive to purchase and the fuel economy is awful. But if you can afford and you like it, then buy it.

I will share my opinion for what it is worth.

Is it the sexiest SUV on the market? No, but lift, tires and a few mods can change things quickly!

Does it drive differently than most vehicles on the road? Yes and will for the next 20 years! Hard to explain, like using a well made balanced tool, does the same job as any other, but feels so much better getting the job done.

Does the mpg suck, yes but a $2 a gallon it doesn't suck as bad as the poor fuel range, solution LRA tank!

Does it have current technology? not having Apple Car Play doesn't help, looking for a solution to that one?

If you want something you will like forever, buy a Land Cruiser, if you want something you will Love tommorow and be tired of later, there are plenty of choices!!

Good luck and enjoy your new Land Cruiser!!!

Are you crazy to buy a 2020 Land Cruiser?

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer - The cost may be even greater than you suspect.... any significant other will "require" their own upgrade once they have experienced a Land Cruiser road trip. This is from personal experience.

Would I do it again? Without a doubt. Color me crazy I guess.

This is a LC forum so pretty much every one will say yes. I’ll add the other side. I love my 200, bought my 13’ LX in ‘14 it was a Lexus service loaner for 6 months. Would I buy a new 200 today, no way. Although I love mine as mentioned it’s ancient and the 300 will probably be better in every way.

I will also add I keep my vehicles for at least 10 years and in 10+ years here in the US a 200 will be a dinosaur. I also try and make smart decisions and not buy new cars. So since you asked if it were me and I didn’t have my Lx and was going to buy one today I’d get a nice 5-7+ year old one, save some $$$ and see what comes out next. Also I’ve said it on here before, if I didn’t off road hard and tow a 7k lb camper I wouldn’t have a 200.

Yeah, I hear you... I have to drive around 46 miles to work each day... 23 miles up and back... I get 16+/- mpg if I behave... If I had a Merc GLS xxx and got say 22 mpg I would be saving a gallon of gas a day $2.80, maybe, call $3.00 a day... That's $15.00 a week extra to drive what you want... And as you point out, it's regular gas too... So the overall additional expense involved is roughly 1% ($800 year) of the original capital outlay ($80,000)… Not bad for a luxury vehicle...

Enjoy!!!
For what it’s worth, non ethanol gas makes about a 20% improvement in mileage over 10% ethanol gas. Where I’m at you generally have to go premium to get non ethanol gas and that is generally about 20% more per gallon. I don’t really save any money but I get 20% more range. When my 200 was stock, and I drove 65 mph, I could get 20 mpg on the highway. Of course I only drove 65 once as an experiment...

Pull the trigger. Plan to keep it indefinitely. You will never regret it.

One man's take:

The Toyota Land Cruiser is likely the most way-over-engineered motor vehicle on the planet. It is not "satisfactory", it is not "good enough". It is the best possible result.

Is it really expensive? Hell yes.

Is it worth it? **** yes. Every damn penny.

I will go a step further and say if you do not succumb to "mission creep", it will be the last motor vehicle (of it's kind) you buy. I bought my 80 Series 27 years ago and I will NEVER part with it.

Last edited:
No. Do not buy. RUN! Run from this madness!

[maniacal laughter, music up, fade to black]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom