1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aluminum corners

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cavsfj40, Mar 13, 2004.

1. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

i just bought some aluminum to plate my rear corners and i was wondering what all of you with the corners have used to fasten them. i was thinking rivets or countersunk allen head bolts. any ideas. oh and i bought too much alum so i wiill be making a few extra sets if anyone is interested in them. let me know. prolly 50 a pair when i do them. it is 1/8th flat aluminum iif that means anything when i fasten them.

2. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    i used carriage bolts...they'll sink into the aluminum and create their own square hole.

3. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

i guess that would work, but i kind of want something flush. I am going to paint the aluminum flat black and i think the countersunk stainless screws would look decent. Also, should i bevel/chamfer the edges?

4. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

throw me a bone here. i know some of you have these items. what did you all use

5. tock13

tock13

When I bought my cruiser it had silver aluminum diamond plate on it with some ugly hex head bolts holding it on. I painted it with some bed liner kind of paint. It is more like a semi flat black that holds up pretty well. I bought some stainless hex buttonhead bolts and mounted it with those. They look way better than hex heads. Would look pretty cool on flat plate too I think.

6. tock13

tock13

I tried to attach a pic but I suck at computer stuff...one more try! ???

7. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I used rivets on mine cause that's what I had laying around. No complaints really, if I wasn't so cheap, prolly would have used some stainless pan heads.

8. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

tock,
    thanks for the pic. my cruiser is green too. when i get done, it ought to look real nice. found some nice countersunk allen heads in stainless. i think i am going to go that route since i can buy them in bulk for cheap. thanks again.