almuminum 3b bell housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have an aluminum bell housing from a 3b but not sure what it came out of. Does anyone know the difference between the steel and aluminum and what they are worth? thx.

I have heard that may have been used in BJ 60's starting in 85 or so. My 82 is cast iron. No idea about value or what other rigs they may have been used in. Got a pic? Be nice to see what one looks like as I haven't seen one.

Tony

aluminium bellhousing

ensure that you got the reinforcement bracket that attach to the motor ( 2 bracket). Toyota made a lighter bellhousing but it had two bracket that been attach to the bellhousing to the engine. If you need those bracket i got it somewhere in my garage.

Heres a few pictures of the alloy B series cruiser bellhousing.

These two pics show H55F setups - the gruby one is the original unit out of my 01/1985 BJ61, while the cleaner one is from a BJ74 i rebuilt as a replacement.

Cruisers 152.JPG

Cruisers 153.JPG

And heres the BJ74 box still bolted to its engine.

P1020219.jpg
Cruisers 152.JPG
Cruisers 153.JPG
P1020219.jpg

Hey roma, I thought that the reinforcing bracket was the limiting factor with the starters, could be wrong... haven't yet removed the bracket to fit my B starter on my aluminum BJ70 housing

reinforcing bracket cannot be used on the starter side of the engine but also the stud is on the wrong side (bottom on alum) so you have to remove the stud drill out the hole for a through bolt since the other starter has the accomodating threads and then your top hole is roughly half an inch off. So i just enlarged my starter (top) hole a bit and used a nut and bolt. What is good though is the starter gear is still in the correct position to properly engage the flywheel. Kind of sketchy in my opinion but i used my bj70 crossmember which accomodates for the aluminum bellhousing that clocks the trans a bit.

Last edited:
I just did this using an AL housing from a BJ70 on a 3B from an 82 BJ60. The starter side mount does not line up:

93a76cc7.jpg

I used the 70 series starter housing so I didn't have to drill the bell housing. I don't have a picture of the starter differences but I can get one if you want.

humm thats odd..on my 3b that bracket lined up fine since it had it from the factory the reason i had to remove it was because my new starter sits too flush with the block. wonder is some 3b blocks had different castings? what did that bracket come from bj70? with pictured bellhousing?

It came from the BJ70 block with the BJ70 bell housing. The BJ60 block is defferent.

The starter orientation is really different on the BJ70. I will get you a picture.

Here is the standard BJ40/42/60 starter.

IMG_0029.jpg

Here is the 70 series starter, the motor is 90* to the 60 series starter.

9ae5a68f.jpg

4655a1e6.jpg

The other difference may be the clutch slave cylinder??

Does it have to do with the two generations of the engine: 3B (1981-84) and 3BII (1985-89)?

=====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 P/UP, resto-project

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom