All Things Sausage! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Couldn't find a dedicated sausage thread so here goes!

Apart of a recent elk hunt I was afforded a decent amount of elk meat. Some of it was used to make Andouille; smoked yesterday over pecan. The only thing this batch of andouille needs: MORE! :)

Coupled with live local spotted prawns from our Monterey Bay the sliced elk andouille made for a super memorable 'all in one' dinner of lettuce and arugula salad for last night's dinner.

With the exception of a few alterations (less salt, 50/50 elk to pork butt + belly fat, ground coffee, minced smoked habanero) this is the recipe I follow: http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

Elk Andouille 1.jpg
Elk Andouille 2.jpg

Yes! That looks good. I have dabbled a bit myself and now need to make some "half-smokes" for the Seahawks/Redthings game on Monday. The half smokes were the only WA DC food that kept popping up as a true local food. Now I cannot find a half smoke sausage recipe but it is supposed to be half beef half pork slightly spicy sausage. That I can do. Thanks for the andouille recipe.

German sausage.jpg

true northwest summer sausage.jpg

I cannot find a half smoke sausage recipe but it is supposed to be half beef half pork slightly spicy sausage. That I can do.

Half beef, half pork, ground very coarse, with plenty cubes of fat added afterward. Add salt, pepper, ground coriander and stuff in a natural casing about 1" thick. We call it boerewors and it is great! Some people add cloves but I don't like it.

I have been grinding pork shoulders and either go straight up with that, or add various meats like beef, chicken, duck, venison, or elk to the grind, with various spice combinations for the past few years. My kids and I love a simple breakfast sausage, patty style, with salt, black pepper, sage, ginger and red pepper. If you grind your own meat, it's so much cheaper and fun to have different recipes from Italian, to brats, to polish, bangers and.....whatever you want. It's so simple...it's meat and spices. Go have fun.

You call that sausage? This is sausage!

This is boerewors and the recipe from BJTLC100 is way to simple. Some of these recipes are kept as secrets in families and you can win a pick-up ( Toyoyta )every year for the country wide competitions. Really.

Wors.jpg

boerewors3.jpeg

You don't barbecue boerewors, you braai it and if it is done it breaks easily into smaller pieces. Boerewors means sausages from farmers in Afrikaans, the language commonly used in South Africa and Namibia. It staple of family meals where ever a fire is made and can be eaten from the fire, in a long bun ( 'boerie'), cold the next day or in stews etc. I think you cannot camp without it

spressomon, I like the smoked habanero idea. Got a son-in-law from New Mexico and he introduced me to habanero peppers and now I can't live without it

Great idea for a thread

I have been grinding pork shoulders and either go straight up with that, or add various meats like beef, chicken, duck, venison, or elk to the grind, with various spice combinations for the past few years. My kids and I love a simple breakfast sausage, patty style, with salt, black pepper, sage, ginger and red pepper. If you grind your own meat, it's so much cheaper and fun to have different recipes from Italian, to brats, to polish, bangers and.....whatever you want. It's so simple...it's meat and spices. Go have fun.
We do breakfast sausage from center cut pork loin, very low fat so less guilt. We do garlic powder, onion powder, sage (lots) and chili flakes.
The result is great and it freezes well. Makes an awesome gravy for biscuits and gravy, the lean meat requires generous additions of butter in the rue and whole milk for the gravy. ;)

Let me get this straight rusty_tlc: Pork loin for "very low fat so less guilt" and '...awesome gravy for biscuits and gravy ... the lean meat requires additions of butter in the rue and whole milk for the gravy'?! Are you conflicted? :D

Use pork shoulder and fogetaboutit :D :flipoff2:

Let me get this straight rusty_tlc: Pork loin for "very low fat so less guilt" and '...awesome gravy for biscuits and gravy ... the lean meat requires additions of butter in the rue and whole milk for the gravy'?! Are you conflicted? :D

Use pork shoulder and fogetaboutit :D :flipoff2:
:D I can eat the "lite" sausage patties frequently, the gravy not so much. I'm trying to maintain my girlish figure, and keep the triglycerides and cholesterol in check.

Great thread, the pics look delicious!
Boss send me hope with some Bighorn breakfast sausage that i can't wait to try this weekend. Wish he requested Andouille..

Or, Boerwores...

Last edited:
Zombie Halloween party.:clap:

This thread needs to be kept alive.
I have gifts of pronghorn, elk, deer, wild pig, and duck.
I need to get this stuff made into sausage, but I don't have any equipment except for a clamp mounted grinder that is worked by hand.
I've seen too many TV shows that talk about keeping things cool or adding ice.

We need our pros to (Suppreso, Dragos) to teach us newbies how to make this stuff. Like a primer.
To answer questions, like should I use raw garlic, or roast it first?
I assume natural casings are the best ?
Should caraway and coriander seeds be roasted or just crushed before use.

I could go on, but wild game sausage, beer, fire, ????? I don't think I'm missing anything
I mean that is life, right?

Be sure to carefully fillet meat removing silver skin, sinew, etc. as it makes a big difference even for sausage. I prefer courser grind as long as the meat is tender. Cold meat will grind better whereas warmer meat will tend to smear rather cut (especially the fat). Natural casings for me; hate the synthetic casings. Be sure to soak the casings in heavily salted water overnight or at least 4-6 hours then rinse thoroughly.

I do add water to my meat mixture before stuffing into casings. Raw garlic is fine as I cook or freeze my links as soon as they're made. Make up a sample pound or so to test your seasoning, etc. Just form into a patty and sauté up to test. Once you're satisfied then spice up the entire batch.

Its better to stuff more loosely than too tight to not stretch the casings unduly #1 and #2 to allow for separating & twisting into links. It will take some practice to get the right amount of meat mixture into the casings; just the way it is. So if there's not enough meat mix in the casing or visa-versa, just cut the casing, remove the "burger" and start over; good to have extra casings on hand.

When I get the meat mixture stuffed into the casings, but before I twist into links, I take a pin and gently poke holes here and there the entire length. This will allow air to easily purge when you're twisting into links and also allow the meat to expand when its in the smoker or on the grill helping to prevent the casing from tearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom