Events/Trails Alaska Road Trip with my new '97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, all. I've been drooling over this forum for about 6 months and finally bought my first 80 back in March. It's an unlocked '97 with 183k with every maintenance record since new. $6900. I love it. It's pure joy.

I'm taking a month or two of sabbatical in September from my work and thought "Hey, let's drive to Alaska." So I'm trying to plan this trip out as best as I can for my wife and I and 3 young kids aged 18mos to 9yo. I want this to feel like a fun adventure.

I have 3 questions:

Popup or RTT?
We already own a small popup and own all camping supplies that accompany that, so it would be natural to take it. But then I saw some RTT's, especially the Cascadia Mt. Rainier and thought, "holy smokes that would be awesome." No bear attacks, maybe better MPGs, etc. But the total cost of the RTT and purchasing everything we'd lose with the popup would be around $3k. We could sell the popup for $1500 to a drunk man on a good day to go towards the cost of a RTT. Would MPG with an RTT be better than with a small popup? What would you do?

Preventative Maintenance for 8000 mile trip?
I'm going to buy a set of stock size Goodrich KO's, rebuild my front end, front brakes, and baseline the fluids. I've heard people who have driven to Alaska say to bring 2 spares...any truth to this? Anything else I should be considering?

Anyone made this trip before?
I'd love to hear advise and/or "I wouldn't do this again"s

Looking forward to hearing from you...I'll try to post a pic of the truck
MtMan

IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. I'm jealous!

Not sure if you would really need to make room for two spares. How about one really good patch kit and a portable compressor that plugs into your power outlet ? Also make sure you can actually get your spare down, its been sitting under there for 15 years now. The RTT's are cool, but it sounds like your pop up would be more practical for all of you. I wouldn't factor bears into my decision to much, if they want in they will just stand on there hind legs and open your tent up. That or crawl up the hood. Don't forget to post pics of your trip, have fun.

Did this trip in 2003 on a BMW motorcycle. From Florida to Alaska and back in 2.5 months.

Really want to do it a cruiser and am prepping my 80 for something like this.

My .02 - now keep in mind I do not have kids!:

1. Ride the ferry back - after you do the Alaska Highway. Very relaxing way to come back and that much less beating on the truck.

2. Stop in Chicken, Alaska and grab a beer at the Chicken Creek Saloon

3. There is a wonderful little BLM campground just north of Coldfoot on the Dalton, GREAT spot to take a siesta on your way to prudhoe bay. You will need to carry gas for that run as well.

4. Stop in Dawson City and let you lips touch the toe.

I would take spar parts I.E. ...belts, rad. Hoses, heater hoses,anti freeze,oil,brake fluid etc..etc.

It sounds like you are planning this trip well and would probably do the things above but I am just paranoid think about this stuff. Especially with wife and kids along for the ride.

Keep us posted on your planning and trip along the way. Be careful and have fun.

4. Stop in Dawson City and let you lips touch the toe.

I had to look that up! Did you get your certificate?? Hahaha...

'You can drink it fast, you can drink it slow—But the lips have gotta touch the toe.'

Take your pop up, it'll be easier for the lady and the kids. You already own it and you're already familiar with it. Take guns for any bear attacks. You might even get a rug out of the deal.
Make sure your cooling system is nice and fresh and hit the road.
I've traveled all over the US in vehicles that most wouldn't trust to take them to the store.
You'll probably have some mechanical events while on the road. Just be as prepared as you can be and enjoy your time!

Hey, all. I've been drooling over this forum for about 6 months and finally bought my first 80 back in March. It's an unlocked '97 with 183k with every maintenance record since new. $6900. I love it. It's pure joy.

I'm taking a month or two of sabbatical in September from my work and thought "Hey, let's drive to Alaska." So I'm trying to plan this trip out as best as I can for my wife and I and 3 young kids aged 18mos to 9yo. I want this to feel like a fun adventure.

I have 3 questions:

Popup or RTT?
We already own a small popup and own all camping supplies that accompany that, so it would be natural to take it. But then I saw some RTT's, especially the Cascadia Mt. Rainier and thought, "holy smokes that would be awesome." No bear attacks, maybe better MPGs, etc. But the total cost of the RTT and purchasing everything we'd lose with the popup would be around $3k. We could sell the popup for $1500 to a drunk man on a good day to go towards the cost of a RTT. Would MPG with an RTT be better than with a small popup? What would you do?

Preventative Maintenance for 8000 mile trip?
I'm going to buy a set of stock size Goodrich KO's, rebuild my front end, front brakes, and baseline the fluids. I've heard people who have driven to Alaska say to bring 2 spares...any truth to this? Anything else I should be considering?

Anyone made this trip before?
I'd love to hear advise and/or "I wouldn't do this again"s

Looking forward to hearing from you...I'll try to post a pic of the truck
MtMan

View attachment 647273

Looks like it should be in a Toyota sales ad that looks so good :p

You might consider 6 ply tires. I only say (write) that because we visited a buddy in Fairbanks and borrowed his XTerra for a trip to the Arctic Circle. Blew 2 4-ply tires (he had 2 6-plys and 2 4-plys) but the 6-ply did fine. Bought him 2 new 6-plys. Just sayin'. Sounds like a great trip. Good luck. Ned

Take your pop up, it'll be easier for the lady and the kids. You already own it and you're already familiar with it. Take guns for any bear attacks. You might even get a rug out of the deal.

I did this trip many years ago. I agree with taking the pop-up (3 kids...), but Canada will roust you pretty hard if you bring along guns. The Canadian border agents absolutely emptied every item from our truck at the border because they were convinced we had guns. Bring the spare items (and quality repair kit and compressor) others noted above, but a second spare tire might be heavy and bulky overkill. Do make sure your pop-up trailer running gear and spare tire are in order.

Did this trip in 09, Calif to Idaho then alaska.
Once in a liftime experience. Make sure you go through Bamf/Jasper, beautiful country.
Be prepared for high gas prices and carry extra fuel as gas stations in the boonies arefew and far between.
Carry spare parts and tools as mentioned and lots of $$$.
I think we spent 3k in fuel alone. Pulling a trailer may be a thorn in your side imo but will be nice to pull over and sleep where you want.
For tires we ran toyo open country mt tires. They are tough as nails and did not get a flat the whole trip.
Plan ahead and enjoy.
P.S dont forget to take a camera

alaska151.jpg

alaska097-1.jpg

alaska030.jpg

alaska064.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. I've done 3 round trips from Oregon to Alaska, I think a spare would be fine, but at the same time, two is better :D We're overkill here aren't we? The road is really a lot better than it was 20-30 years ago by far. I'd say with your diligent maintenance up front and gas cans for extra gas and you are good. Gas stops were the one thing that can get you in my experience, I was driving a Ford Ranger which is a little better MPG, but even then there were a few areas I was glad I had another 5 gallons. With a loaded cruiser i'd really be glad to have maybe 2 on hand?

Enjoy it! Really great drive, after 3 round trips each summer I thought I got tired of it, but now i'm craving to do that drive once more.

TeeDiggs reminded me of something with his sig line. Make sure to check, replace, or do the workaround on the PHH. Not something you want to blow on you and might be something you'd do anyway.

Funny, we are a family of 4 and just looked at a pop up camper yesterday. We've had the idea of driving to Alaska next summer maybe. It's 2000 miles closer for us, round trip. We even had dinner with a couple from Alaska tonight who said we should do it. I am having the same thoughts as you. What would work better for such a trip, and what would work better in general? RTT or Pop up? I'm not sure either. those little 12" tires concern me. There's no way a 1000-2000LB trailer affects MPG the same way a RTT does.

Thinking about it more, for myself, an expo trailer with RTT is starting to make more sense. Thanks for the thread and helping me to consider this more in-depth!

I just recently bought a tire repair kit and an air compressor on general principle.

Driving one way and taking a boat the other way is something to look into. Views down the coast of B.C. would probably be nice.

Driving one way and taking a boat the other way is something to look into. Views down the coast of B.C. would probably be nice.

There is no "probably" about it, the views down the BC coast are amazing! I live on Vancouver Island so I am a little biased but we live in a pretty sweet part of the world.

I'll be doing the trip from Miami, Fl. My wife and I talk about it all the time.
food and water...just in case

I wouldn't worry about a second spare tire for your truck unless its a really odd size or you plan on going off the beaten path, but I would also recommend a puncture repair kit. You might want to think about a spare tire for your camper though, it always seams like those are the tires that pick up junk from the road. As for the Bears, Canada will not allow you to bring a Pistol through the their country. You can buy Bear spray for protection, I would also recommend that you keep your food away from where you are sleeping. Some recommend extra gas, When I moved up to Alaska in the winter I brought extra gas and never used it. It was fairly easy to find a gas station open every 200 miles or so. Get a Mile post to plan your trip and have fun. Their is a ton of places to explore off road if you want too, depending on if and when you come up to Fairbanks / North Pole I would probably be up to go wheeling to take you on a local trail if you want to.

Not sure if you would really need to make room for two spares. How about one really good patch kit and a portable compressor that plugs into your power outlet ?

Sounds like wisdom to me.

As for the ferry, I've priced it out from Haines or Ketchikan to Bellingham, WA and the rates are just shy of $2k. Eek. That's the fuel budget for the whole trip combined. But I would love to see the inside passage.

We are trying to do this on a cash basis...our budget for the trip right now is just north of $7k. But I know it might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip and we might have regrets if we skimp too much. It's a tough call.

I just don't want to go in debt too much if we don't have to, ya know.

Thanks for all the advise. It's real encouraging. Keep it coming!

Oh...I've read up on Canada's gun laws, too. They don't seem very excited about handguns. But long guns are ok. I'll probably pack my trusty lever action Winchester 30-30. I'll buy some bear spray for hiking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom