Events/Trails Alaska Road Trip with my new '97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been guiding and outfitting in "bear country" for twenty years. I am from Canada, and have spent most of my life in the bush. I have never had the need for a gun for bear protection. The worst gun, if you had to have one, would be a pistol. Unless you have practiced EXTENSIVELY in stressful situations, the pistol would simply be making noise. Common sense, and an awareness to your surroundings will fair you far better with bear avoidance. Do your research and watch where you put your food. Although romantic in notion, if a bear surprised you in your tent, while you were sleeping, a gun is the last thing you would be able to whip out and function with any efficiency. Bears don"t like people, and they will not seek you out. In real remote places, a large campfire is the best way to keep a bear out of camp. Make alot of noise when hiking, know your wind, and be respectful of where you are visiting. If it makes you feel better, bring some bear spray, but remember that it is a last resort and you're running out of options and it is not a guarantee. If you had to bring a gun, make it a shotgun. It'll move a bear off, or stop its inertia as it charges. Not a pistol stock, that's for Hollywood. Practice with it, even though it is a scatter gun, you still have to be accurate, and big buckshot at thirty paces is still a tight group. Finally, if you did end up killing a bear, shooting it with a shotgun is easier to plead self-defence to a CO than if you had killed it with a rifle. Also, if you are bringing one up from the states you will have to fill out a boat load of paperwork, so check with the customs officials so that you understand all the rules. If you are in any National Parks, you cannot legally stop if you have a firearm in your possession. In the end a gun really isn't needed, and is a real pain in the arse. Just have fun, relax, and the bears are manageable and not to be worried about too much.
Take stout tires with strong sidewalls and a spare. Make sure the 80 is mech. good condition. Bring a dedicated bag that holds all the essential kit you and your family will need for two days (Bug Out Bag) with water. Cash. Have fun!

A couple of things I would recommend.
1. Do the PHH replacement at home now WAY before you start, at the same time new rad. hoses, coolant flush/ replace with Toyota Red and thermostate (maybe changing the temp rating for a trailer someone else can chime in on this thought). This would be a TRUE peace of mind and easier to do when at home.
2. I would recommend a CB, putting one in the place of your ash tray.
The reason, I say this is my wife's uncle is one of the people who plan the Alcan 5000 rally. They all carry 2 CB's and a HAM radio (which is overkill). Yet 1 CB could be enough to talk to a trucker or other person and have them send for help if you need it, without separating from your wife and kids to go get help.
3. IMO keep the pop-up, you have it your familiar with it, you have 2 kids and a wife (roomier) and it is stocked already.
Then take as many pictures and notes as you can, so I can plan a trip for next year. ;)

I worked with and for grizzly bear experts in and around Yellowstone National Park 10 years ago. I don't know nor have I ever heard of anyone who is experienced with grizzly bears carrying or advocating any kind of gun for bear defense. They are wild animals with sharp senses. You are not in their food chain. They don't want to bother you and they don't want you bothering them. It's pretty basic stuff but since you will be entering an environment with new hazards, like grizzly bears, it is worth learning what to do and what not to do. I know that for Yellowstone National Park, over the last 100+ years you are statistically more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked by a bear.

we lived in the bush in alaska for quite a few years, my wife is from there, a lot of it is common sence but even then I have had friends who where very bear savy have bears come after them, one guy emptied two cans of bear spray and the bear kept coming, maybe blind but not stopped, his budy had to shoot the bear, another friend had a spaz 12 shot gun with 9- 3 1/2 magnum slugs, took all 9 shots, the last one droped the bear at the guys feet, yet we had a little old native lady dropped a grizzly, one shot with a 22 pistol, all experiences are different, I used to carry a 44 mag with 300 grain hot loads and pepper spray both, had serveral run in's with bears at close quarters, was always lucky, never had to use any defense, you just never know.

I would think the cooling system maintenance would be most important, PHH, good hoses and belts, a few spare hoses and belts, the little bypass heater hose #1 which is just above the PHH and a pain to field repair.
I beat the crap out of my pop up towing it around on forest service roads. It ended up splitting and almost falling apart. I had to rachet strap it all around to hold it together. I don't think a RTT for 5 people is going to be very comfortable unless your family is comprised of little circus people.
Sounds like a great trip the family will remember forever, they may just hate you for a couple days here and there.:cheers:

I don't care what any bear expert says. When it comes to the safety of my wife and kids in bear country I'm packing heat. Better to have it and not need it than need and not have it.

PHH done...ready for front end rebuild

I've been assembling parts and such for the PM of my '97 for this trip. We're looking at starting the trip the first part of September.

I ordered the silicone PHH and FHH kits from 1fzfePHH.com and they looked cool.
mtman-albums-phh-picture23313-photo3.jpg

I read the FAQ on this over and over again to make sure this wouldn't be too hard of a project. I had tried to look several times to see it, but couldn't find it at all. So, I ordered the parts in faith. So I started the project the other night around 8:00pm and since I'm fairly mechanically inclined, I thought, "I can do it faster than the 2hrs it takes most of these morons." I repented 5 hours later.

First of all, I'm 270lbs. So fitting my body into the DS wheel well to get access to PHH was a miracle in itself. Then, I saw the PHH and thanked God I had ordered the part.

mtman-albums-phh-picture23311-photo1.jpg

I DID NOT remove the starter. It provided a good arm rest and helped with leverage.

I DID NOT loosen the bolt holding the heater hose on the back of the engine block. WHO HAS SMALL ENOUGH HANDS TO GET A WRENCH UP THERE?!?! Seriously. I'd like to meet you. I'm bet you have the hands of a hobbit.

I wanted to get the PHH off in one piece to keep as a trophy. That idea lasted about 30 seconds. I was able to clip off the cotter pin clamp and moved the other clamp. It came off without much fuss. It also came off with a cascading waterfall of coolant--which I was prepared for, but still surprised. It's like watching your wife give birth and afterwards you think "Where did all that junk come from?" Bad analogy, I know.

mtman-albums-phh-picture23312-photo2.jpg

So the trickiest and most time consuming part was getting the new hose in place without having loosened the 2nd bolt on the metal heater pipe. I put a dap of vaseline on the metal nipples to help the hose slide on. I worked the hose all the way onto the metal heater pipe then planned on aligning the pipe with the engine block nipple (is there a better term?) and sliding the hose into place there. But, I couldn't get the metal heater pipe to align correctly. So after a LONG time of trying to force it onto the block nipple, I eventually tied a rope to the top section of the metal heater pipe, fed it over the fender and into the wheel well so I could pull and try to align the pipe with the engine nipple. EVENTUALLY it worked, but holy crappp it was hard. AND to complicate the whole thing, there was slippery coolant dripping everywhere. BUT I DID IT!

Tada.

mtman-albums-phh-picture23314-photo4.jpg

I want a certificate now to hang on my wall for my accomplishment. It felt good. It was easy to install the upper front heater hoses. All in all it took 5 hrs, but that was with a several of breaks, TV, phone calls, and, of course, checking the forum.

mtman-albums-phh-picture23315-photo5.jpg

Everything looks good and is leak free. The next day I flushed the coolant system and put OEM Red Toyota Coolant in it. I thought of a trick with the 2 old front heater hoses: I combined them with the tee from the Prestone flush kit to swap with the factory heater inlet hose. I didn't want to cut the shaped hose. It worked great!

My package from CDan arrived the other day with new front rotors, 100-series pads, front axle rebuild kit, and new bearings. I had the axle seals from Marlin as well, but after reading a lot stuff on here I may just go with OEM. Everyone agree?

I'll be finishing those projects off by this weekend. I'm ready to finally get some grease in fingernails instead of slippery sticky coolant.

I've now made this my goal for next summer. Trip to Alaska in the LC. Not sure if Deadhorse will make the itinerary, but at least Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Despite my comments about bears previously, I will disclose that I carry a .357 with Bear Load ammo anytime we're out in the woods. It's a general purpose pistol for us but if a bear is gnawing on my kids or something...

The Hunting Shack, Inc. - Bear Load

It's nice that this ammo is made locally by a really cool company.

Good job on the PHH!

I've traveled the ALCAN with trailers and used a pop-up for two months in Canada and found....

The trailer suspension and tires are going to take more of a beating than the 80 because the trailer suspension/tires are puny compared to any tow vehicle. I'd keep the pop-up but you may want to spring over the trailer and fit taller tires which will last a lot longer. Ensure your leaf springs, wheel bearings and tires are in good shape and then take extras of all. Seriously, two springs, a set of wheel bearings and seals, grease, two spare tires and extra lug nuts. None of these are hard to change along the roadside. The ALCAN has massive frost heaves that famously destroy trailers. Best way to keep the trailer in one piece is to SLOW DOWN (I know it can be hard to go 25 or 40MPH for hours on end). You may feel like you're driving slow enough in a well suspensioned 80 but the trailer can't take the pounding. Inspect the trailer's hitch, suspension, hubs and tires during fuel stops so you can catch small problems before they get bigger.

If you're prepared, you'll have a great trip!

I got thoroughly worked over at the border for having bear spray, this was pre 9/11 as well, so be careful how handle that one. I didn't catch how far north you were planning on going.

I have been far more impressed by the southern sections of AK and also Jasper/Banff/Squamish/Whistler areas than northern AK. I have spent time on the north slope of AK and in Prudhoe, it's truly a unique experience being that isolated and seeing literally no civilation, but if I had a budget and a family, I wouldn't go North of Denali, just my personal opinion. It's really unique up there, I just found the scenery and landscape near the inlets and southern area much more awe inspiring and where I would choose to spend my time.

As for the popup, I own one, I think it will get beat to hell on a lot of the roads in AK. Just be prepared to take it slow for the health of the trailer, probably a fair bit slower than you would drive normally. The most damaging roads for popups seem to be the higher speed washboard types that beat everything up.

edog's 80 said:
I got thoroughly worked over at the border for having bear spray

If you're talking Canadian border you could just leave your bear spray at home. That stuff can be purchased at any camping store here. Might pay a few bux more but save yourself the hassle.

I did the trip Anchorage-Ogden Utah 14 years ago in a minivan loaded to the max and pulling a U haul type trailer. Did not needed extra spare tire. Took a patch repair kit, a small compressor, one 5 gallon can of gas, some common tools and plenty recorded music. Good tires are a must. Somehow as you go deeper int the Yukon Territory, gas stations are about 3 hours apart, unless they have more now. Every time you see a gas station, fill her up. The pop up is fine, there are lots of camping areas. Cb would be helpful. Once you start, take plenty pictures and post them! :grinpimp:

I did the trip Anchorage-Ogden Utah 14 years ago in a minivan loaded to the max and pulling a U haul type trailer. Did not needed extra spare tire. Took a patch repair kit, a small compressor, one 5 gallon can of gas, some common tools and plenty recorded music. Good tires are a must. Somehow as you go deeper int the Yukon Territory, gas stations are about 3 hours apart, unless they have more now. Every time you see a gas station, fill her up. The pop up is fine, there are lots of camping areas. Cb would be helpful. Once you start, take plenty pictures and post them! :grinpimp:

Your not allowed to say things like this in the 80 section for fear of wives reading. They must never know the truth.

Your not allowed to say things like this in the 80 section for fear of wives reading. They must never know the truth.

Hahaaaa!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Did this trip last June with an RTT and new 35 inch BFG KO's (Two spares....D rated tires, 8 ply, I prefer E rated)....had no mechanical or tire problems at all.....but only went as far north as Fairbanks. Had two 20 Litre aux jerry cans on board, diesel was up to $1.85/litre in some of the isolated spots. RTT reduced the MPG about 20-25%.
The high points were the 'Top of the world' highway, Dawson City, Haines, Stewart/Hyder (visit the Bear Man on the mountain in Stewart! HANCOCK HOUSE PUBLISHERS - Great Bears of Hyder AK and Stewart BC - Author Info)
The low points: Frost heaved highways, as well as lots of road construction (USA side, Canadian side roads are not seeing a lot of repairs! :eek::eek: )
Good luck!

Cheers,

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom