Aisin carb/slow cut valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rubber boot on the slow cut valve on the carb I'm rebuilding is toast--crisp as a potato chip. Forking out the dough for a new slow cut valve is going to make this carb rebuild pretty pricey.

Anyone have an ideas on replacing the boot? Someone has suggested fabbing a new boot out of the tip of a pump boot, but was not trusting of the way he attached it (electrical tape doesn't hold up well to gas fumes).

How important is this boot? If I just smear it with grease, will that keep the big chunks out of my engine, or is that just asking for trouble?

Oh, this is cold--I'm gettin' no love on the Aisin carb! :tear: Is EVERYONE doing the Weber thing? :dunno: Hey, if it helps, I've got a Weber! Uh, Weber Kettle, that is, for grilling, heh heh.

I think I can punch out the lever arm to get a boot on the shaft, so maybe I'll do that using part of my old pump boot and secure it with some wire over what's left of the old boot.

Sound like a plan?

Rebuild kit should have a new boot. That too expensive?

IDave---Dude, tell me which rebuild kit has a replacement boot for the slow cut valve. My kit from Jim Chenowith doesn't have it, none of the other kits I've seen have it. (I'm not talking about the pump boot, which comes with most kits.)

So, fella, if you have a solution, lay it on me, dude. Point me to a boot, give me a part number, or come up with a fab idea.

I've got the same problem as JMan. If anyone's got a fix, I'm listening.

Sorry, Dude,
Don't have such a boot on my carb, assumed it would be in the rebuild kit for your late model cruiser.

Sorry, Dude,
Don't have such a boot on my carb, assumed it would be in the rebuild kit for your late model cruiser.

Bummer!

No, it seems the later-model owners are cursed. A real design flaw that you can't pop a new five-cent piece of rubber on and instead have to fork over $100 for a new valve assembly. Thus my search for a cheap fix.

Did you try calling the guys at SOR to see if they had one, maybe not listed in their catalog separately? Sometimes they are good about those things.

Turns out Toyota does NOT make the boot as a separate part. They do sell the whole slow cut valve, but the local dealer wants $141 for it!!!!.

Jim C. said that he just slathers it with boat trailer bearing grease when rebuilding--all of his customers go with that rather than the pricey replacement part.

I *might* try fabbing a boot out of the pump boot, but just to make sure, I'll pack it with grease, too. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom