AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Everyone,
We had a great system install the other day that I wanted to share. This was a build being done by Black Hills Builds (Wes I know you said you were on mud, hoping you see this!) on a really nice 80 series.

This was our standard kitchen with a wing, a standard drawer and a Richlite upgrade. We reinforced the kitchen wing to allow for a powertank to be mounted on top. We also included the blue sea panel that we tied into some existing wiring. The system turned out great, and wanted to share with the 'Mud world!

Let me know if you'd like to know any additional details!
20221021_140255.jpg
20221021_140255.jpg
20221021_133501.jpg
20221021_133511.jpg
0X0A1400 (1).jpg
0X0A1350 (1).jpg

Hi Everyone,
We are running our Black Friday sale, now through the end of November we are offering a 50% discount on a slide out table with the purchase of a system. This a $225 savings, and as always shipping or installation is included in the system price! Use code SOT50 at checkout.

Black Friday LC.png

We get a lot of questions about how much weight our Slide Out Table can support, so we put this video together to demonstrate just how much it can hold! Cutting straight to the point: We recommend 25 pounds as the max load, which is more than enough for meal prep, staging cameras, etc. In this video we load the table up to 40 pounds just to demonstrate what it can handle!

We're looking for some advice from the esteemed 'Mud community!!

What do you guys think about a 'static' drawer face? We are thinking this would be a customer-selected option. You could select the existing 'winged' drawer face, or for about $150 less per system you can opt for the static drawer face.

Do you think this is a viable/attractive option? As far as we can tell, the ADGU system is the only one with a 'winged' drawer face, so it appears the general approach to accessing the storage area under the wing is to simply open the drawer. The top access wouldn't be affected at all

Static face Pros:
  • $150 less expensive
Static face Cons:
  • Drawer has to be opened to access storage area from front of drawer (top access unaffected)
I've attached a few pictures showing the hinge mechanism for the 'winged' drawer face. It's perhaps more complicated than you might realize at first, with fiber reinforced 3D printed brackets, 270deg hinges and a 'snap shut' feature that we absolutely love, but it all adds up to more $$$. Also a few pics of the static offer

To be clear we are keeping the winged face, just considering adding a less expensive static option. So, what do you think?

20221207_095402.jpg

20221207_095530.jpg

20221207_095838.jpg

20221207_095848.jpg

Seems like a good idea and that 3D mount looks great. As long as it doesn't take up too much space it seems like it would allow you to get in and out when there are items on the tailgate blocking the drawer from opening. Easier to remove longer items easier as well I would think.
You should consider those same hinges for the top panel as well.

Seems like a good idea and that 3D mount looks great. As long as it doesn't take up too much space it seems like it would allow you to get in and out when there are items on the tailgate blocking the drawer from opening. Easier to remove longer items easier as well I would think.
You should consider those same hinges for the top panel as well.

That's a good suggestion on the wings! We have considered that in the past, we'd just have to add some additional bracketry/reinforcements to make something like that work.

And thanks for the feedback on retaining the hinged front drawer face. We've been hearing the same from most people, that seems to be the consensus! One other option that we offer is to effectively drop the drawer face wing completely and rigid-mount a power panel under the wing. We've done this on a GX, and it's very similiar to our kitchen, which we often set up with a power panel as well.

0X0A1386.jpg

PXL_20220722_184723025.jpg

PXL_20220722_164508201.jpg
PXL_20220722_184621579.jpg

Is this your in house panel or outsourced?
I have the Delta but thinking it will not work well with the Gullwing if I ever get it installed.

View attachment 3188491
That was on a customer vehicle. I can't recall exactly who that manufacturer was for that panel, but definitely not one of ours!

Kitchen Covers now available! We have created a kit that allows you to have a flat, load bearing surface with wing and tie downs when you aren't running a fridge on your dedicated kitchen. We certainly understand that you don't always need a fridge in the vehicle, so we designed this cover to be easy to install allowing you to configure your system exactly how your current use-case demands. This is 100% retrofittable (i'm pretty sure that's a word, right?) and installs/removes in just a few minutes.

You still retain 100% function of the kitchen, and the 'fridge top' effectively just becomes a short drawer/tray. The fridge tie-down points can still be used to secure gear. We put together a brief overview video, let us know what you think!

20230104_152707.jpg

20230104_152728.jpg

20230104_152749.jpg

We've been able to get a handful of camping and wheeling trips in this year, so I wanted to provide a few pictures of how we utilized the ADGU kitchen + drawer along the way!

To start with, we added a simple Jackery 500 to provide the energy storage for the fridge and other various goodies. We wanted this setup to demonstrate a 'plug and play' system that would be simple to replicate. One thing to note, the AC plug in cargo area on the 200 is.... well... i wouldn't say useless, but not any good for charging the Jackery. We simply bought an extended length cable and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the 2nd row. We ran the cord under the floor mat and 2nd row, and plugged the jackery cable into that.

So far I have found the Jackery 500 to be good for powering the fridge about 3 days/nights without turning the vehicle on. This is a great solution for normal/extended weekend trips. If you were doing more than that you would likely want to set up some solar charging. There are plenty of outputs, so you can run all kinds of accessories. We were powering a drawer light, walkie talkie charger, go-pro charger, the fridge and occasionally plugging phones in for a top off.

We also added an energy chain to keep all the cabling nice and tidy. We'll be adding a guard to keep gear from interfering with this energy chain, and will be incorporating this as part of the standard kitchen offering.

We cooked A LOT of large group meals out of this setup, and I was pleased with how everything worked. That much cooking would have been tricky without this kitchen! These pictures are all out of my LX570, but this is the exact same system that would be in an 80 as well.

20230506_170330.jpg

24017.jpeg

20230419_103004.jpg

20230427_083315.jpg

20230427_083400.jpg

New Product Alert! We have just launched a removable drawer cover cutting board! This ships assembled and snaps right on top of all existing SS1 Drawers.

20230712_110310.jpg

This removable cutting board adds even more utility to your SS1 drawer and sleeper system. Made of incredibly durable Richlite composite, this cutting board will stand up to heavy duty use. Resistant to knife cuts, heat and water, Richlite won't warp or crack over time.

The cutting board stows securely on top of your Air Down Gear Up drawer, turning it into valuable working space. The feet firmly hold the cutting board in place while traveling, and allow quick removal for access to your gear or transferring the cutting board outside the vehicle.

20230712_110208.jpg

20230712_113204.jpg

One request that customers repeatedly bring to us is simple, yet somewhat tricky to answer: How can I sleep two people inside the vehicle and have a fridge? With a traditional fridge the answer is a somewhat unsatisfying 'there's not enough room'. We needed to address this shortcoming so we developed a sliding tray designed specifically to accommodate the Dometic CD30 drawer-style fridge.

This set up allows 30 liters (31 quarts) of refrigerated space while retaining a completely flat platform on top. We have incorporated a space for a battery/power station, allowing the space of one drawer to completely house all of your fridge needs. We have the entire tray slide out of the vehicle, allowing the fridge itself to become a work surface. The fridge itself can also be accessed by itself while keeping the tray retracted. In addition to that, we can equip an additional slide out table as well, turning the simple CD30 Drawer fridge into a full workstation. The front-access wing still retains its function, so you can utilize the space under the platform for storing items.

We have found this size to be more than adequate for trips lasting a few days for multiple people. This provides a great balance between useable platform space and fridge capacity. This system replaces a standard drawer in an SS1, meaning you can bolt this right into your existing slides, and you can swap between a drawer or fridge as your trip demands. Of course this can also be spec'd into new systems as well. Pricing will be the same as our current drawers, meaning it's truly up to you to decide if a drawer or a fridge is more valuable for your needs.

20230908_122031.jpg

20230908_122041.jpg

20230908_122051.jpg

Really like your product's looks and functionality. I built my own sleeper/drawer system years ago and solved the fridge-in-the-way-of-two-beds problem this way.

I have a drawer that holds a standard size fridge. We use a camper top tent to enclose the rear of the vehicle. There are several varieties, ours is a DAC, Inc full size tent, which I modified by deepening the part that goes under the tailgate (this was originally made to fit pickup truck tailgates) by sewing in some extra fabric. I think the key for your high design approach would be to find a partner who could sew up a custom tent designed from the get-go to fit the Land Cruiser/Lexus - or simply let the customer choose what fabric portion of the system they want to utilize, as there are a number of options, including full-stand-alone tents and awnings that offer a vehicle connection.

I cut a panel that fits the space that the fridge occupies when it's in IN position that fills the area when the drawer is OUT. I simply drilled it for four bolts that hand-tighten, attaching it to the area on top the drawer that is in the other half of the rear of the system. I'm sure you'd be able to come up with a much more handsome approach to storing this panel.

Before the panel is slid into place, this provides a deeper footwell for more comfortably changing clothes, etc. Then this space can be filled with outerwear, boots, etc, after which the panel is slid into place to provide full width/length sleeping space.

There is one drawback to this design. It's not bear-proof, so you're sitting there with a cooler full of tasty treats, which fortunately the bear will encounter first, while you can either exit through the rear passenger doors or, umm, dispatch while it is still pawing at the chill box.

Last edited:
image2 (2).jpeg

Introducing the Fridge Rack!

The fridge rack isolates your fridge from your cargo while providing hard-mounting points for modular storage, including Rotopax!
This option protects your fridge from the rest of your cargo, keeps objects from falling behind your fridge and provides a multitude of mounting solutions for any kind of gear you want to keep handy in your car.

This is compatible with all Air Down Gear Up Dedicated kitchens in all vehicles.

The rack:

Made from a single sheet of 6061 aluminum and machined to our exact specifications in our Colorado shop. Most other metal racks in this industry are made from steel and are thin, heavy and sharp edged. We make our enclosure with 3/16" 6061 aluminum and chamfer/bevel every single edge so that everything you touch is soft and rounded. This means your gear and fingers will not be snagged, frayed, scratched, dinged or marred by our rack. Since we machine this aluminum and do not bend it, we can use stronger 6061 aluminum. It's light, strong and soft to the touch.

The rack includes an adjustable ceiling shelf for additional, load bearing storage. The shelf can be setup with or without front and back walls, and is adjustable in height to best accommodate your fridge size.

The rack also includes a configurable panel set for the vehicle forward end of the fridge to be used for mounting electronics or miscellaneous other gear. The pictures all show a 100, but this will be the exact same product in an 80.

20231110_114922.jpg

image4 (2).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom