Air Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
Is anyone running a K&N or TRD filter on an 80? There is a rumor out there that they will gum up the mass air sensor. :dunno:

:beer:Re: Air Filters

I am currently running a TRD. I have a K&N in the garage. As the 93-94's usa a Bosch style air flow meter as opposed to a heated wire there is no contamination issue at all. I generally see the problem on Tacoma's with over-oiled K&N's fouling the heated wire sensors. The Wulf is Beta testing a TRD in his ruggedly handsome 97 as we speak. (Don't tell him but I oiled the s**t out of it before he put it in :G ) I have not heard reports of sensor fouling in 1FZ's. Doesn't mean they won't, just haven't heard.

The TRD part number is 00602-17620-006. lists for $58.63

Regards, Dan

Thanks Dan. I knew you would have the answer...and the part number...and the cost...

I run a TRD for the street with no problems. Have had it in my 95 for a year now with no ill affects. That being said I still don't trust it offroad, so I switch to my trusty oem paper when I know there is a bunch o dust ahead :stupid:

Moraline,
Can you tell the difference between the filters in performance and mpg? Have you done a side by side testing?
Do you reset the ECM when you swap them out?
kurt

Moralien, Thanks

I do a lot of sand dunning so I will keep my OEM filter in considering the dust is a big factor for me every summer.

Al

The TRD oil is a different color than K&N. I don't know about mixing the two, I imagine you could. The TRD cleaning/oiling kit is a 00602-17801-CL1. It sells for $18.99

:beer:

I leave mine in all the time. It makes a handsome off-orange goop when it goes to Moab :G

landtoy,
I stopped worrying about mpg long ago. All I drive are Cruisers and I figure the only thing I could really do to make a significant change in efficiency would be to slap a diesel in them. ::) As far as there being any difference in the 2 there is slight audible change in the TRD. It could just be psychosomatic. ??? Overall I am happy with the both of them. Saves a bunch of money to drive the trd street and leave the paper for trails.

I don't think it's nesccery to reset the computer. If the ECM can actually tell if there is a difference I'm sure it self corrects promptly.

As much as it pains me to agree with Moralien, I agree, there is no way I'm running anything other than the OEM spec paper filter in my beater when offroad. I keep my lil paper in there all the time. Would never use a K&N or any oiled filter, but that's just me and I'm always right. ::)

As much as it pains me to agree with Moralien

:D :D :D I love it. Bad Mike this ones for you

1053174204_ponch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom