air compressor at Costco: oil, 5 at 90, worth getting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, been contemplating getting an air compressor for a while. Primary objective: tires, tools, minor paint jobs (no serious car painting).

Had pretty much decided I didn't want an oilless compressor. I imagine they are much more durable and less noisy with oil. But that pretty much meant a big stand up reservoir $400 affair. Often 220V. I'd rather have 110V.

To my surprise I just saw that Costco now carries a smallish (5 gals double tank) portable compressor that is only $150. Most to my liking it has oil, looks like a cast cylinder. And of course has the famous Costco return policy advantage, surely.

Now it can do 5 cfm at 90 psi. That also seems better than usual for the small guys.

Brand: Masterpower
2HP

Question: is 5 at 90 sufficient in practice for most shop tasks? Which not? Would the 5gals tank be a big liability?

TIA

added: can one spray Latex with a spray gun?

Last edited:
That compressor should be fine for inflating tires and soccer balls.

Tools take more power.

I have a 2 hp (220v) 30 gallon compressor (hey, it was free) and any sort of serious tool use causes it to cycle. It's acceptable, but right at the margin. I wish I had a 5 hp dual stage 80 gallon.

The one you are looking at I think is really built to run a power nailer-ie intermittant low power use.

Mine can't keep up with a die grinder or cut off, does ok with an air ratchet and impact gun. It cycles a lot though-many sources say to have a big enough compressor to cycle only once every ten minutes or so. During use, mine cycles every 3-4 minutes, and running the die grinder, runs continuously.

My advice-If you are serious about air tools, keep looking.

Last edited:
e9999

I think that this is the compressor for you! It way to small to do any work, it might work for an hour and it gose with you theam (I like buying things twice like an 8000lb winch for an 80, when you should get the 12000lb).

I also dont think that e9999 will ever do any real work on his truck that will need to use a compressor.

Ian

One other thing about compressor HP.

Virtually every compressor manufacturer inflates their numbers. When you list 2 HP, that is almost certainly starting HP. I'll bet running HP is less than 1. A true 2 HP 110 compressor would draw 18 amps continuously and closer to 30 at start, and so not practical to run on a regular house circuit, unless you enjoy resetting breakers.

Additionaly, take a magnet next time you shop-I'll bet it's cast aluminum.

E9999-how serious are you about air tools? Answer that question first, before you buy a compressor. Otherwise you will be throwing away money on junk, ie the Harbor Freight syndrome.

Last edited:
e9999

I think that this is the compressor for you! It way to small to do any work, it might work for an hour and it gose with you theam (I like buying things twice like an 8000lb winch for an 80, when you should get the 12000lb).

I also dont think that e9999 will ever do any real work on his truck that will need to use a compressor.

Ian

Thanks. If you were trying to be funny, don't give up your day job if you have one... If not, well....

Last edited:
One other thing about compressor HP.

Virtually every compressor manufacturer inflates their numbers. When you list 2 HP, that is almost certainly starting HP. I'll bet running HP is less than 1. A true 2 HP 110 compressor would draw 18 amps continuously and closer to 30 at start, and so not practical to run on a regular house circuit, unless you enjoy resetting breakers.

Additionaly, take a magnet next time you shop-I'll bet it's cast aluminum.

E9999-how serious are you about air tools? Answer that question first, before you buy a compressor. Otherwise you will be throwing away mony on junk, ie the Harbor Freight syndrome.

well, I would not mind trying out some spray painting some time. And impact wrench. Grinder and cutoff wheel if that's feasible. But no, I'm not thinking about very serious air tools usage. More the occasional affair and the gadget factor.
FWIW, I don't think Costco usually sells junk.
Looking at the bigger 30 gals $300 Sears compressors, these do 6.5cfm at 90 so not that much more. Plus usually oilless.

If it won't run a grinder or cutoff wheel, then maybe that is too small.

Eric-That compressor won't begin to run a grinder-many of those are in the 15 cfm range. Even a 1/4 die grinder takes over 5. The cut off says it takes 4, but my compressor runs like it takes more than that. For your use, I reccomend a 1/2 inch electric impact. They work suprisingly well and meet your criteria for cheap($50-$100).

I'm not going to argue whether a $150 compressor is junk, but I will argue that it won't meet your stated needs. (It likely is junk though...). There is usually a reason that good equiptment costs a lot. If I could buy a 17 cfm dual stage IR compressor for $150, I'd jump on it. The reality is somewhat different. If you were willing to spend $600, you could find an OK compressor that would meet your needs, though it would require 220v. And that's assuming you drop the desire to run a grinder.

Here are some numbers to keep in mind: On 220v, each HP takes about 4.5 amps. Roughly double that for 110v.

What winch did you buy?

Get something that is belt driven, your money is spent on the motor and the compressor. Cast iron compressor is the only way to go, another $150-200 will get you a unit that should do most things that you want with out going indebt. Most importantly you will be satisfied with the purchase.

OK. So grinder is out. Shoot....
That's not good.

Probably needed to figure cfm at about 1.5% so you do not kill your compressor on run time. Tried to find a good table that we have for cfm requirements but to no avail, certain tools just really suck up the cfm.

Probably needed to figure cfm at about 1.5% so you do not kill your compressor on run time. Tried to find a good table that we have for cfm requirements but to no avail, certain tools just really suck up the cfm.

1.5% of what? size it so it runs only 1.5% of the work time? seems low

good ref, thanks.

OK, it's 150%. Meaning they suggest to overspec by 50% the desired cfm.

added: btw, looking at the prices and specs of the compressors on the Grainger catalog, the Costco is a very good deal indeed...

Last edited:
added: btw, looking at the prices and specs of the compressors on the Grainger catalog, the Costco is a very good deal indeed...

No, Eric-that's what the good stuff costs. I believe Grainger's compressors are made by Cambell-Hausfeld which is a mid-level manufacturer of compressors. I believe they also build Home Depot's line of compressors. The specs on the one you were looking at are likely wildly inflated, and it has no storage, which means as soon as you start to use it, it comes on.

I really like the Eaton Compressor website, and based on that alone, when my 2 HP free compressor finally gives out, that's what I'm going to get. The Ingersoll-Rand store here in Sacramento is also cool, so that is a good and proven alternative. This is not a place to buy junk if you are going to use air tools.

I should mention, that since I set up the compressor and the piping, I use the air tools all the time. I used them today, yesterday, and just about any time I do any thing on the Land Cruisers. It's interesting how that works.

The one good thing about the Costco compressor is that it has two tanks. So that means that when the motor burns out you and a close friend will be that much closer to on-board air. You can salvage the tanks.

But seriously folks, I buy small compressors like the one you are looking for and I use stick nailer, brad nailer and a narrow crown stapler. It is also good for inflating tires and blowing dirt/dust off things. I have tried spraying with it but it runs constantly and without enough volumn.

I figure for the $150 or less to buy them I do well if I get two years out of one.

when I said it's a good deal compared to some of Grainger's, that's obviously with reasonably comparable specs. I don't know how the quality compares.

no matter, point well taken, this is too small to operate many useful tools.

thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom