AHC Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. As some of you have seen, I bought a new to me 2014 LX 570. I has a CarMax 90 day warranty. I am finding it has a very rough riding front right wheel.

I suspect the damping force actuator accumulator is flat or close to it. CarMax is starting to indicate they don’t think there is a problem. If I hit a pothole on the highway with the left front wheel, no problem. If I do so with the right front, vehicle bucks and wheel jumps back and forth in my hand violently. I could argue truthfully it is not safe to drive.

Any thoughts on what problem might be and on how to approach this with CarMax?

If you can quickly replicate the issue take the technician on a drive. If you cannot easily replicate, record it with a camera and play it to them. I would record outside shots by holding camera outside and tape both sides of wheels in motion so they can see the difference visually.

I concur with getting a technician ride-along and/or video evidence. Post your video evidence here too as I'm sure adding it to the knowledge base would be helpful for us all.

Watching closely as I have my eye on several LX 570s at CarMax (2013-2014 range also) I'm curious as to their after-sale warranty customer service.

Seems like there's way more LXs on the market than LCs, especially at CarMax.

If I were you, I would take it straight to the closest Lexus shop for diagnostics. The Lexus techs will be able to go through the diagnostic checklists efficiently and impassionately. While there might be some capable techs at some of the CarMax shops, I wouldn't expect them to be able to troubleshoot this issue even if they take a ride. But Lexus has a checklist to diagnose any perceived problems with the damping control actuators. It may just be that a fluid change is in order, or that CarMax did a fluid change and screwed it up.

While it may cost you a little, keep in mind that at some point soon, you will want to start a relationship with your local Lexus shop anyways, so might as well get that started.

Again, this is not a knock on the CarMax techs. Think about how many different models of vehicles they have to look at every day. Do you trust somebody who has to consider the nuances of every possible late model vehicle, or a guy who looks at 2 LXs a day?

Food for thought.

All good advice. Any ideas what could cause this other than a blown accumulator?

I concur with getting a technician ride-along and/or video evidence. Post your video evidence here too as I'm sure adding it to the knowledge base would be helpful for us all.

Watching closely as I have my eye on several LX 570s at CarMax (2013-2014 range also) I'm curious as to their after-sale warranty customer service.

Seems like there's way more LXs on the market than LCs, especially at CarMax.
22 LX570s on Carmax nationwide right now. wild

There are three accumulators on each front corner, in addition to the shock. The big one is the ‘low pressure’ unit. There are two high pressure, a main and backup as well. There is a valve between them. Any of these parts failing could be symptomatic. The FSm recommmds replace all accumulators if fault is identified, but most folks only replace the low pressure. It is around $150 for a grey market accumulator. Replace and fluid flush is around three hours, at least that is what I’m budgeting to replace all four low pressure.

Thanks for info. Going to head down to Lexus to get a proper diagnosis. Hope they can nail it fist time. Been down this road before with 470s. They have some great techs and some real asses. Hope I get a good one.

Thanks for info. Going to head down to Lexus to get a proper diagnosis. Hope they can nail it fist time. Been down this road before with 470s. They have some great techs and some real asses. Hope I get a good one.
Did you ever get it diagnosed?

Hey. Sorry for delayed reply. Lexus said it was totally normal ride. We now own like 16 vehicles between trucks, big trucks, tractors, boats, dirt bikes, SUVs, and sedans. The LX570 rides the worst of all of them. Everyone that rides in it comments on the bad ride. If this is normal, I might not be a Toyota fan much longer.

I am eventually going to try 17 inch wheels and higher profile tires. I am convinced that will solve my issue, but it doesn't excuse what the dealer calls normal.

Hey. Sorry for delayed reply. Lexus said it was totally normal ride. We now own like 16 vehicles between trucks, big trucks, tractors, boats, dirt bikes, SUVs, and sedans. The LX570 rides the worst of all of them. Everyone that rides in it comments on the bad ride. If this is normal, I might not be a Toyota fan much longer.

I am eventually going to try 17 inch wheels and higher profile tires. I am convinced that will solve my issue, but it doesn't excuse what the dealer calls normal.
I’m in the same boat. I drove another lx570 and it most definitely did not ride the same way. Mine shakes over bumps and with my GoPro I’ve even been able to hear a noise that I can’t locate. Hopefully one of us finds the problem because I’m also regretting this purchase.

Let me know what you learn. I am just driving it for now. I was going to trade on a new one, but they are like $103,000 dollars. I think I would rather buy two 2007 LX470 with low miles and a nice used center console boat.

Well, the ride has now gotten much worse. If it is not globes, then what? Leveling valve? Not sure how to resolve this, but I am about to sell this otherwise beautiful rig. If it helps, the ride is muuuuch better in high mode.

Well, the ride has now gotten much worse. If it is not globes, then what? Leveling valve? Not sure how to resolve this, but I am about to sell this otherwise beautiful rig. If it helps, the ride is muuuuch better in high mode.
It shouldn't ride any different in any mode.
Theory - pressure sensor is borked, so it's over pressurizing in low and normal, and can't reach 'target' pressure is high, so the high is at a lower effective pressure.

Did you put it on techstream and screenshot the AHC page yet? (sorry, I didn't scroll up)

I would get techstream to see if it's thowing a code and go from there.

Pulled the codes today. Nothing. So frustrating.

so techstream is different than an OBDII reader. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Techstream shows a full page of the readings and settings for the AHC system. Now, not much of it can be 'set', but it can help us theorize what parts or portion of the system might be malfunctioning and creating the hard ride.

Got it. I have Techstream. I will plug it in and see what it says. Thanks guys!

When my hydraulic line raptured due to rusted bracket holding it, and I kept driving (had to get home) the ride became very rough over time like there were no shocks. I would not say the ride on LX is bad given 20 inch wheels but I do keep it in soft. I recall seeing a DIY on replacing the accumulators and stating that the ride improved. It's been on my list, but haven't gotten there.

When my hydraulic line raptured due to rusted bracket holding it, and I kept driving (had to get home) the ride became very rough over time like there were no shocks. I would not say the ride on LX is bad given 20 inch wheels but I do keep it in soft. I recall seeing a DIY on replacing the accumulators and stating that the ride improved. It's been on my list, but haven't gotten thereho

how many miles do you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom