AHC Basics for dummies Video re CrossLeveling, Height Sensor adjustment, TB tweaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a video that shows the very detailed steps you guys have so meticulously described in the long posts regarding AHC maintenance? I'm pretty good at figuring things out when I see them being done, sometimes the wordings/descriptions confuse me. if there is a basic "how to adjust to baseline the AHC system" video or youtube out there that yall know of plz let me know thanks guys!! I'm about to get into mine but just wanted a bit more knowledge. Learned so much from this forum in just the last couple weeks, it's invaluable!

Does anyone know of a video that shows the very detailed steps you guys have so meticulously described in the long posts regarding AHC maintenance? I'm pretty good at figuring things out when I see them being done, sometimes the wordings/descriptions confuse me. if there is a basic "how to adjust to baseline the AHC system" video or youtube out there that yall know of plz let me know thanks guys!! I'm about to get into mine but just wanted a bit more knowledge. Learned so much from this forum in just the last couple weeks, it's invaluable!

I've got one mid-edit right now with a planned release date this month. Subscribe to my channel and you'll see it soon!

As promised:

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial! Extremely helpful. Hope every AHC-Hundy owner will watch this vid esp. before they decide on keeping their AHC or deleting :D

A couple dumb questions if I may, my driver side front shock is leaking, and its height is 0.5" lower than passenger side's. Should I crank the torsion bar to level, or swap in a new shock first and then re-measure? (Sorry for my ignorance, but are the shocks connected to AHC reservoir? i.e. the leaked fluid is the AHC fluid or shock has its own fluid inside?)

Also, when you measured the cap center to fender edge height, did you turn on your engine or off? (I notice the height gets adjusted a bit by the AHC as soon as the car is turned on.)

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial! Extremely helpful. Hope every AHC-Hundy owner will watch this vid esp. before they decide on keeping their AHC or deleting :D

A couple dumb questions if I may, my driver side front shock is leaking, and its height is 0.5" lower than passenger side's. Should I crank the torsion bar to level, or swap in a new shock first and then re-measure? (Sorry for my ignorance, but are the shocks connected to AHC reservoir? i.e. the leaked fluid is the AHC fluid or shock has its own fluid inside?)

Also, when you measured the cap center to fender edge height, did you turn on your engine or off? (I notice the height gets adjusted a bit by the AHC as soon as the car is turned on.)

Thanks!

I hope peeps watch it too!

The "shock" is actually just a hydraulic ram. It's full of AHC fluid. If it's leaking it could be old and in need of replacement or it could mean that your system is over-pressurized and the seals just can't handle the added pressure. *There's also a seal up at the top of the shock. It's an oring. That can fail and lead to a leak at the top. That's a cheap fix if it's the problem.

Step 1 is to check neutral pressures. If the pressures are reasonable (say below 7.5 in the front) then you probably need a new shock/hydraulic ram. There's a neat graphic in the service manual. Basically, a "weeping" shock/ram with wetness on the sides is perfectly normal. A dripping wet leak is not.

If you check pressures and your front pressure is high, crank the torsion bars until it's level and pressure is OK. If it still leaks when pressures are corrected, it's time for a new shock/ram.

*Note, with AHC, the globe in combination with the ram and its valving is actually the "shock". The globe being the most important component there for shock absorption.

Last edited:
My notes say 19.5", next time i'm adjusting the AHC i'll adjust it to 19.75". I'm sure to me that .25" will make it look that much more meaner, haha.

The "shock" is actually just a hydraulic ram. It's full of AHC fluid. If it's leaking it could be old and in need of replacement or it could mean that your system is over-pressurized and the seals just can't handle the added pressure. *There's also a seal up at the top of the shock. It's an oring. That can fail and lead to a leak at the top. That's a cheap fix if it's the problem.

Step 1 is to check neutral pressures. If the pressures are reasonable (say below 7.5 in the front) then you probably need a new shock/hydraulic ram. There's a neat graphic in the service manual. Basically, a "weeping" shock/ram with wetness on the sides is perfectly normal. A dripping wet leak is not.

If you check pressures and your front pressure is high, crank the torsion bars until it's level and pressure is OK. If it still leaks when pressures are corrected, it's time for a new shock/ram.

*Note, with AHC, the globe in combination with the ram and its valving is actually the "shock". The globe being the most important component there for shock absorption.

Thank you for the helpful guidance. I'll go check in detail.
Your video should be posted on the FAQ page :D

great video! maybe you could post a mini "how to adjust the height sensors" segment at some point? just in case those need adjusting. trying to get away from the dealer and want to do this stuff myself. Thank you @suprarx7nut !!

About coil springs, if I understand correctly, the options ranked from comfy to stiff is something like: LX springs, LC-AHC springs, King, LC-non-AHC. Do all these fit for LX and LC-AHC trucks without a problem?

About coil springs, if I understand correctly, the options ranked from comfy to stiff is something like: LX springs, LC-AHC springs, King, LC-non-AHC. Do all these fit for LX and LC-AHC trucks without a problem?
If I remember right, you can add LX450 with no 3rd row springs in between King and LX-non-AHC. Yes they will all fit, but you should purchase based on the weight you'll be carrying. Normally King and stiffer are for AHC rigs with permanent weight added.

I think you've got that right. My rear pressure history is something like this:

1. 8.0 - LX springs (old) - KISS drawer system (~150 lbs?)
2. 5.1 - King springs installed, KISS removed, ADGU SS1 installed with 1 drawer (small weight loss over step 1)
3. 6.1 - King springs - full Dissent aluminum armor with winch and Slee sliders (net sum weight ~450 lbs)
4. 7.1 - King springs - Armor plus 2nd battery, compressor, maxtrax all installed in rear swing arm, ARB fridge and drop slide (net sum weight ~550 lbs)
5. 7.3 - King springs - All above plus second SS1 drawer (net sum weight ~600 lbs)

I've got spacers from Slee on the way and expect that to drop me right to the upper end of spec. I'll watch it when I do a full road trip and see if I creep outside spec too far. If so, I'll have to dive into the LC springs I have sitting in the garage.

If in spec, the system should handle at least another 500+ lbs with no fuss, so it's got a wide range of acceptable weight/spring combos.

@suprarx7nut could u revise your cheat sheet? It gets confusing under cross level as it talks about pressures. Thx for all ur wisdom!!

@suprarx7nut could u revise your cheat sheet? It gets confusing under cross level as it talks about pressures. Thx for all ur wisdom!!
That's intentional. During the cross level step, you can get a head start on pressure adjustment by raising the low side. That's also why I place the cross level step after the pressure check in step 3.

Should I word that differently? Maybe I can revise it to make it less confusing?

Last edited:

Hi @suprarx7nut

I tested the neutral pressure. Front is 7.7MPa and rear is 6.6MPa. Also front driver side height (hub to fender edge, 18.5") is 0.75" lower than passenger side height (19.25"). Both are lower than recommended.
In this case, would torsion bar adjustment or new driver side shock/ram be more likely to fix the lean issue?

Thanks!

Hi @suprarx7nut

I tested the neutral pressure. Front is 7.7MPa and rear is 6.6MPa. Also front driver side height (hub to fender edge, 18.5") is 0.75" lower than passenger side height (19.25"). Both are lower than recommended.
In this case, would torsion bar adjustment or new driver side shock/ram be more likely to fix the lean issue?

Thanks!
The shock/ram has zero impact on height or pressure (unless it's leaking profusely).

Sounds like you need to crank the driver's side torsion bar up 3-5 turns and check heights and pressures again.

That's intentional. During the cross level step, you can get a head start on pressure adjustment by raising the low side. That's also why I place the cross level step after the pressure check in step 3.

Should I word that differently? Maybe I can revise it to make it less confusing?
no I trust you, i just thought i was missing something is all. makes sense! and clockwise turns means under the car head pointing to front bumper on my back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom