Aftermarket Wheels specs needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
NEWBIE alert.....A few questions...... I just bought a 95 fjz80 , looking at wheel options, probably 17". What specs do I need to look for?

1- 106.1 Centerbore?
2- back space?
PO had 1' spring spacers in front with 285/75/16 (32.8") tires on stock wheels.
What's the largest tire I can go with without rubbing with normal street use . May put mild lift later (like 2" OME).
305/70/17?

Will any aftermarket wheel center caps fit over the stock hubs?

Will these work? Or others similar from method?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/metho...-black-mr31279060912n/_/R-GNQP-MR31279060912N

Careful, Toyota wheels have a large wheel stud hole with the shank style lug nut reaching inside the hole to get 13 turns on the stud. By going aftermarket which all have small wheel stud holes requiring a standard acorn bulge lug nut you'll get only 6 turns. After about a year with 35" tires the studs have so much leverage on them that they can start snapping off.

I know this first hand. Thats why you don't see alot of cruisers with aftermarket wheels. It can be done no doubt but not worth it.* I had to run longer moroso racing wheel studs with open end lugs to keep my wheels and that was a pain in the butt to do...

*If you do go AM, use ET style lug nuts (came out after my mod) to grab more turns on the stud

Careful, Toyota wheels have a large wheel stud hole with the shank style lug nut reaching inside the hole to get 13 turns on the stud. By going aftermarket which all have small wheel stud holes requiring a standard acorn bulge lug nut you'll get only 6 turns. After about a year with 35" tires the studs have so much leverage on them that they can start snapping off.

I know this first hand. Thats why you don't see alot of cruisers with aftermarket wheels. It can be done no doubt but not worth it.* I had to run longer moroso racing wheel studs with open end lugs to keep my wheels and that was a pain in the butt to do...

*If you do go AM, use ET style lug nuts (came out after my mod) to grab more turns on the stud
Thanks, good to know.

Also most centecenter bores don't go all the way through. There is a lip for center caps.

so..... 106.1 mm bore size is what i need? most aftermarket caps aren't deep enough to clear hubs?
use Et type lug nuts if possible. most wheels probably won't be machined that way.

Yes that is the correct bore but most wheels aren't straight through bored. The wheel won't push through because if the lip. That's because there all made for newer hubless Toyotas

Then you'll want to make sure you get wheels that are hub Centric and not lug Centric so you aren't chasing vibrations for the rest of your days.

So... Proper hub Centric doesn't have room for center caps as you'll have to run with your hubs exposed in most every case.

Your options are factory, or TRD wheels. The only other wheel I've seen that's made more specifically for Toyota is SCS wheels. Click here> TOYOTA

Again, you can bolt most anything up but looking for your long term safety and not dealing with on going balance problems. If you don't mind the factory wheels, keep them around for a back up plan.

Not trying to rain on your excitement, believe me i would like to update my outdated 90's looking wheels with another 17x9 but after expensive mods just to make these work right, I don't want to go through all that expense again and have dealt with this issue with several clients.

Yes that is the correct bore but most wheels aren't straight through bored. The wheel won't push through because if the lip. That's because there all made for newer hubless Toyotas

Then you'll want to make sure you get wheels that are hub Centric and not lug Centric so you aren't chasing vibrations for the rest of your days.

So... Proper hub Centric doesn't have room for center caps as you'll have to run with your hubs exposed in most every case.

Your options are factory, or TRD wheels. The only other wheel I've seen that's made more specifically for Toyota is SCS wheels. Click here> TOYOTA

Again, you can bolt most anything up but looking for your long term safety and not dealing with on going balance problems. If you don't mind the factory wheels, keep them around for a back up plan.

Not trying to rain on your excitement, believe me i would like to update my outdated 90's looking wheels with another 17x9 but after expensive mods just to make these work right, I don't want to go through all that expense again and have dealt with this issue with several clients.

yes i saw those stealth wheels, i was told that just the f5 model has the correct centerbore, the other styles have to be machined to fit the hubs. i like the stealth 6. emailed them to see if they need milled, no reply... been 4 days. maybe they are at SEMA? what toyota TRD wheels fit? off tacoma or 4runner? pics? thanks

do late model TRD 4runner tacoma wheels fit 6x5.5 and 106 hub bore? no cap of course.

The only Toyota - Toyota fitment issue is trying to put an 86+ wheel on a straight axle rig. Too much BS.
Toyota 6 lug/hub bore is Toyota 6 lug hub bore.

The only Toyota - Toyota fitment issue is trying to put an 86+ wheel on a straight axle rig. Too much BS.
Toyota 6 lug/hub bore is Toyota 6 lug hub bore.

so....newer TRD wheels will bolt up and clear hub as long as backspacing is 4"(+/-1/4"or so) or ET 0 or negative IE -6-10mm (offset) on 17"x8" wheel. maybe not that simple?

I see a few 80 series rigs on here running aftermarket wheels....method has a couple i sort of like. i like the the TRD split spoke. has +5mm offset.....

New 17" Black Toyota TRD Pro Wheels Toyota Tacoma 4Runner FJ Cruiser Set of 4 | eBay

Those wheels in the pic will be the same fitment as any late model 17. Take your rig to a friend or les Schaub and test fit. The bs issue may possibly be negated by the 17" diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom