Aftermarket LED Taillights Throwing Errors - 2018 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, apologies if this issue has been posted in another thread.

I drive a 2018 Tacoma Off Road. Previously, I ran these on my 2017 Tacoma Off Road before some window licker totaled it. I pulled the same taillights off of my 2017 and installed them on the 2018 that I bought.

Important note: the 2017 Tacoma did not come with pre-collision sensor technology. The 2018 does.

After install, the same lights threw my 2018 into limp mode, and threw ABS and pre-collision sensor errors (photos and video link below) once the taillights were engaged. Driving without the lights on or during the day with DRL engaged was no problem. Once the lights were flipped to "on" or after sundown, the errors would fly. To rule out these tail lights, I bought a different set (these). Same exact issues occurred.

Is this a common issue with pre-collision sensor Tacomas? Is there a work-around? Am I doomed to run stock taillights for eternity?

Video: iCloud - https://share.icloud.com/photos/08e-Vnrirum3vFGtMRHS2YarQ

image_67191809.JPG

image_50413569.JPG

image_67181313.JPG

image_67218433.JPG

A little late with my reply. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

My findings with aftermarket and older factory LED lights is they slightly back feed.
On the newer "precollision" vehicles, Toyota started running a standard diode in the light assembly, I'm assuming to prevent this.

The slight backfeed is not an issue if the computer monitoring it doesn't care about a few volts. Most systems tied into the brake circuit are isolated from the actual stop light wire.

In the case of the modern Tacoma (19+? I haven't looked at all the years) the stop light wire is monitored for voltage. When it sees voltage on the wire but did not see the stop light switch depressed, it flags a code.
When the running lights are turned on, you get just enough voltage going back to the stop light switch to confuse the computer.
My suggestion is to
!. See if there is voltage on the brake wire, at the tail light housing, with the running lights on.
2. install a diode inline with the brake circuit, behind the tail light (or where ever is simplest).

I have gotten feedback from others about the voltage feeding the stop wire from aftermarket lights. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a non issue with some factory lights. Looking at a schematic on a newer vehicle, some show the diode in the housing.
I have fixed the back feed problem on trailers with led lights but no one has come back to me after I suggest installing a diode inline on the Tacoma's.

Looked up a few things when I got to work. I was hoping to show a few diagrams with LED's and the built in diode. The only one I found quickly was a 22 Camry that shows it but all of the other Toyota/Lexus just show a square block for the assembly.

Again, backfeed complaints are common with LED's. One would think the aftermarket people would address this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom